MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

I Think I Found A Bird Scam!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:47 PM

So...I found this posted: 

Maui sunset macaw

Title: Maui sunset macaw Name: Art Date: 12/3/2013 Website:   Phone: 323-767-6141 E-mail: Email this seller Location: Los Angeles Description 7110_Thumb.jpg4 months old, hand fed baby, very sweet, already starting to talk $2500

and I thought OMG SO CUTE!!!

and I thought, I really want this bird.

THEN I thought,  I should make sure this is legit.

So I ran a google image search for the bird ...AND 5 pages of ad results came up from Los Angeles, Las Vegas, Central Valley, Inland Empire (wherever that is) San Diego, Orange County, and more that I just didnt go through.

Then I ran the text, came up on ebay classifieds and hook bills for sale. 

Googled the phone number...

apparently also selling a few cockatoos

an amazon

some pigeons

hornbills

aracari

All posted in December.

I'm just really sad, to actually believe that it was a real bird.

#2 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:02 PM

Yes, we all need to be very careful if we're considering buying a bird from an Internet ad.  A very good reminder, thank you. :)

#3 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 04:17 PM

I'm just upset at myself for believing it.

I just found ANOTHER ad posted yesterday...

Must be pretty desperate to "sell" the "bird"

I think maybe I will contact this person abd post the results.

Should be interesting

#4 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 05:52 PM

What you'll get if you contact them -- the voice of experience here -- is an enthusiastic response about how glad they are you want the bird, and how they're at sea because they're in the military, or they work overseas for some big giant company, so "their people" will have to ship the bird to you, as soon as you send a certified check to the address they'll provide. When a real person is really looking for a new home for their bird, they have more than one photo and they have a local phone number. 

#5 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

Dont feel sad - even in Australia there are bird scams.  Be glad you didnt part with any money.

#6 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 08:45 PM

Sadly, there are a lot of nasty people who prey on bird fanatics like us. mad.gif Not long ago, there was an advertisement running on a couple local online classified ad sites offering a Hyacinth Macaw with a large cage for $300. ohmy.png That one just screamed "scam." I replied to one offering a CAG for $500, supposedly in a suburb of Syracuse. In the reply I got to my E-mail, the person "rehoming" the CAG said that someone had already taken her parrot, but her friend in Arizona had a CAG for sale for just $300. If I would send a money order for the $300, plus another $250 for shipping charges, to a post office box in Los Angeles, California, the CAG would be sent to me by air express within a week. Yeah, sure. wacko.png

#7 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:35 PM

I read this post earlier today before anyone responded. I am so naive, I didn't understand how the scam worked. I had no idea. That's horrible, and pretty common apparently.

#8 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:53 PM

Allee: Glad I brought attention to it! They are all over the internet and it's terrible! If anyone has heard of BirdTricks.com, their parrots were used in a scam, and fooled someone into paying 300+ dollars for "Ann's" birds.

Awful really.