MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

New Addition To Our Family!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
144 replies to this topic

#101 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:15 PM

Current Cami pics!

Dani011_zpsa71eb95d.jpg

Dani014_zpsd6a9a36a.jpg

Dani009_zpsbfade7e6.jpg

Dani010_zpsa3df85cb.jpg

Dani008_zps15345524.jpg

Dani007_zps03f4d08b.jpg

Dani012_zps33f27707.jpg

Dani013_zps6704779e.jpg

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#102 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:26 PM

This was taken on January 19th:

1013744_10153720551060580_1683595936_n.j

And here she is now:

1196-12967.jpg

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#103 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 04:48 AM

She looks so different Dani.  You have done an amazing job with her.  She is a real sweetheart smile.png

#104 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 06 April 2014 - 12:07 PM

She is a sweetheart, and loves her snuggles.  I accidentally poked her in the eye last time I hugged her face, though.  Ooops! :)

#105 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 11:11 AM

Cami is SO sweet, I can't say that enough.  I adore her.  Yesterday I finally decided to actually get all of the tangles out of her tail.  I had done some brushing a little here and there, but not really enough to get ALL of the tangles out.  After I brushed it I decided to braid it....Cami kept clamping her tail down like, "Mom, that's my BUM!" and looking back at me like "Mom, what are you DOING back there?  That feels funny!" LOL But her tail looked so pretty! :) No pictures, I'm sorry.  I didn't have my camera with me.

Before that, my friend Kelli and I had fun riding her for a while.  She's awesome. :)

Have I told you all that I love my horse??  Well, I LOVE my horse!!! :D

• Casey's Mom and Cindi&Jeriel like this

#106 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 06:26 AM

She sounds wonderful Dani.  Had problems with Izzie today.  Tried to catch her for half an hour and then an experienced horse person spent over an hour trying to catch her without success.  I was really disappointed with her but then realised that she had made so much progress recently, that we may just need to stop and go back a little so when I see her tomorrow, I will just spend quiet time with her and make no attempt to catch her.  She is one determined little mare.  I will be glad when I take some time off shortly so I can see her each day.  The person who tried to catch her today said that she showed fear at the halter and she may have been traumatised in the past when people were trying to catch her.  So I am happy to take it at her speed.

#107 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:00 PM

Awww, I'm sorry you had a disappointing day Jan.  That happens sometimes.  I'll have to find one of my posts on the Auction Horses forum about my other rescue, Gypsy.  Looking back, it's funny to think about but at the time I was soooo mad!! LOL

#108 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 17 May 2014 - 08:17 PM

I've been feeling really bad lately.....I wish I knew what Gypsy's "real" name was. She's started responding to Gypsy, but in a way that makes me feel worse that she's had to adjust to a new name. sad.png These horses lose their families, familiar surroundings.....their names are the only thing they have, and even that gets stripped in a lot of cases.

I had a REALLY frustrating day yesterday. I took Gypsy's halter off a few days ago, because I was worried about it causing sores. Well, I could not catch her for the life of me. She would come when I called and then when I put the lead rope around her neck she backed away a couple steps....repeated this over and over. It didn't help that Forte refused to let me near Gypsy for more than a few seconds, she would come over and bite Gypsy on the butt to make her leave. I got soooo mad, let me tell you.

I need advice, I don't know what to do about Forte. I mean, I guess I could halter Forte and tie her to the round pen while I catch Gypsy, but I don't know if she would throw a fit or not. I don't want to get caught in a dangerous situation. Chasing Gypsy around (making her move when she refuses to be caught) when Forte is there is a good recipe for me to get kicked.

I'm sorry you have a bad day yesterday. When I had Blu in with 3 other horses I had the same problem. I started taking a whip with me and giving little love taps if a horse was getting in the way of me catching Blu or interacting with her. After a while they all learned that if your not the horse getting worked with there is no need to be close to me.

Thanks Austin, I'll buy one when I'm at the tack shop. smiley.png

Oh, it got worse though....I forgot to mention the lady who drove up in her car and started yelling in another language....something about nikita, I think....she sat there in her car for about five minutes, yelling....of course the horses went over to the other side of the field, to see what she was all about......that's when I gave up. I seriously wanted to run over and yell at the lady, but decided that wouldn't have been very nice. LOL

#109 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 03:34 AM

My horse mentor was with me today.  She got into the paddock with Izzie and eventually got her to settle.  She then made me get in the paddock in the afternoon and use the pressure and release method which eventually worked.  But I have to tell you, the body language that Izzie gave me was terrible - putting her backside to me and actually kicking out.  My mentor thinks she has either got a fright during the week or else she is trying it on.  She said that Izzie has progressed very well over the weeks and she might be realising that she was in control for 5 years and is mucking up cos she doesn't want to do what we would like her to do.  Either way, I will keep working with her and will take a week off shortly to spend each day with her.  I feel she might be close to a trust break through.  Thanks for your help and support Dani - I really appreciate it.

#110 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 18 May 2014 - 11:20 AM

You're so welcome, Jan.  I wish I could come to Australia to meet you and Izzie! :)

Yes, many Shetlands are VERY stubborn, and some can be downright nasty.  I'm glad you have experienced horsepeople there with you.  For now, take those threats to kick seriously, but try not to let her intimidate you.

Good luck!

#111 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 19 May 2014 - 04:22 PM

It is disappointing but I am trying not to let it get to me because that will affect the way I deal with her.  If we cant get her to accept us, then we have discussed getting a professional trainer in.  I dont really want to do this but it might be the best option we have.  Anyway, will try again this weekend using the pressure and release method.  I guess it is just a matter of who is more stubborn - the pony or the human!

#112 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 08:08 PM

I rode Cami again today, she is wonderful!!! smile.png

I'll have to take come close-up pics of her.  She has quite a few spots on her head, and a bunch of really teeny tiny spots around her neck and shoulders. :)

Edited by msdani1981, 21 May 2014 - 08:10 PM.

• Casey's Mom likes this

#113 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 21 May 2014 - 09:52 PM

Cami sure is one lucky mare to have found you smile.png

#114 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 May 2014 - 11:36 PM

LOL Cami is MAD at me today!  I bought her a grazing muzzle so she won't founder with this spring grass. :)

#115 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 04:44 PM

I havent heard of a grazing mask.  We have a couple of founderers at the rescue centre so will look into it.  Had a fantastic day with Izzie yesterday.  We used the pressure and release technique and when she finally figured she wasnt going to get away with her bad behaviour, I could put a rope around her and then the halter without a struggle.  We then did a bit of ground work with her and walked over poles and then in between poles.  She is not aware of what her back legs are doing but is getting better - it is like a disconnect but we use the Tellington wraps on her which seems to make a difference.  It was noticed that she has a locking stifle (not sure I have spelt it correctly) so we will be watching it to see just how much trouble it is giving her.  I was so pleased with her (and my) progress yesterday.  I was then supervised working Richie - who is a dream to work with - just to give me confidence working with Izzie and also because he does everything perfectly.  They have suggested I work with him a couple more times so I know what Izzie should be doing.  I am hoping the week I spend with her next week will help her push through the barrier - it is so obvious she wants to be with people but is holding back.

#116 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 25 May 2014 - 08:11 PM

YES!!!!  Great work, Jan!!!!!!!  Oh, I'm SO excited for you!!!  Being able to catch Izzie is quite an achievement, wonderful! :D

I'm looking forward to hearing about how next week goes! :)

Here is a grazing muzzle:

http://www.amazon.co...=grazing muzzle

#117 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:37 AM

Here are some more photos of Cami:

Photo0506_zps0a294f22.jpg

Photo0504_zps0ecf1c89.jpg

Photo0502_zpsf1d82512.jpg

Photo0503_zps7ca8a720.jpg

Photo0507_zps09132145.jpg

Photo0496_zpsc5b79241.jpg

Photo0500_zpsc6335057.jpg

#118 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 01:50 PM

Awww, Cami looks so much better! 

And Jan, i had a Shetland when I was a kid. I was too young and inexperienced and he was STUBBORN. LOL But most animals will learn to trust you when they have tested you and figured you out. Just keep trying with Izzie. 

#119 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 03:37 PM

Cami needs a bath, she has huge grass stains on her tummy! LOL

#120 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 28 May 2014 - 05:36 PM

Wow Dani, I just cant get over the difference from when you first got her to now.  She looks absolutely amazing.  Give her a kiss from me.  And Siobhan, I am taking next week off work to spend each day with Izzie in the hope of breaking through the trust problem she has.