MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Indoor Aviary - Ideas And Suggestions Please

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 newbie_baby

newbie_baby

Adv Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 September 2012 - 07:20 PM

Hello everyone

Am planning to build an indoor aviary/bigger enclosure for my blue quaker Meeko.Somewhere he can have more space than his cage, and be safe and secure, while we are out of the house.
I have an idea in my head, but need some help. I have looked at some untreated Softwood shelving in Ikea (the one that is open from all sides, can used in Utility rooms etc) The wood is untreated and non-pressurised (as per Ikea) softwood. So I was thinking of getting 2 or 3 of these (They are about 6 ft high, 3 ft wide, 2 ft deep), leave the top and bottom shelf (the shelf have slats, but not big enough for a quaker to fly out), and remove the middle shelves. bolt them together, Lay plastic runner at the bottom, put an small apple tree in a pot, hang various perches and toys etc. The only thing I'm stumped with is what to surround the enclosure with. Cant used galvanized wire. I was thinking of some stop of plastic netting, but not sure which kind will work (and should definitely be breathable. If it's some sort of flexible netting, then I can simply nail 3 sides, and have 1 side with clips so can be opened and closed

Any ideas/suggestion/critique would be highly appreciated
Kind Regards
Shahrukh

#2 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:44 PM

I don't think I would use plastic netting, a Quaker could tear holes in it in no time. I'm not sure what you could use....there might be some ideas in the Do-It-Yourself section, but I don't know.

Check this thread out, and Andie's Mom's post in particular...

http://www.quakerpar...showtopic=51803

#3 newbie_baby

newbie_baby

Adv Member

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

Hi All
Well after looking around i really dont think I can make something on my own
so am thinking of buying this

http://www.parrotdis...s.php?prod=2220

please let me know if someone has used this

Many thanks
Kind Regards

#4 jimjelly

jimjelly

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:34 PM

i Like the walk in aviary if you can swing it go for it. If you build one your self you can use galvanized wire it needs to be cleaned first I believe with vinager and a steal brush. I have looked into building aviaries and have several sites saved I would be happy to send to you. lots of good information and ideas. Like using an old book case or making one with only basic tools and skills. Hit me up if you want the links.