MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

How Do You Decorate Or What Toys Do You Use

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Debbie1210

Debbie1210

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

my harlee loves her toys! some say i havetoo much in there but she plays with them all-shes clipped and
she gets around gtreat. some told me to try straws and she loves pulling the ones i weened into her cage bars.
i alzo got her barrel of monkeys and some foot toys she loves to bring them all the way to the
top of her cage throgh her hut then drops it into a bowl. i feel badfor bird i see with nothing in their
cage or just one toy! how does that keep them entertained, i dont think my harlee will ever be
bored or pull out her feathers lol
can i see pics of your toys and cage designs i need more ideas, i also learned to change and rotate
toys

Attached Files

#2 Erin1956

Erin1956

Adv Member

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:38 AM

I don't think the fids ever think they have enough toys. I would suggest taking some of them out and leave a few he really likes. Then rotate them with the ones you took out. That keeps them guessing and playing. Be on the lookout for new toys and hit the hamster aisle. I got some great toys really cheap. Much less than the bird aisle at petsmart...
  • Debbie1210 likes this

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:17 PM

It really depends on the bird. Clyde isn't that interested in toys, but Jade loves and plays with each and every one of hers, and she has a ton. My starling plays with all her toys, and can make toys out of the most bizarre things. One tiel loves toys, the other one has to be in the mood to play with toys. I wish I'd thought of Barrel of Monkeys before! I know my starling will LOVE those and leave them all over the floor for me to step on in sock feet. Posted Image
  • Bene_Gesserit likes this

#4 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 06:17 PM

My birds each have a "toy box" in their cage, with ink pen caps, plastic bottle caps, straws, empty spool threads, pom poms, peanuts in the shell, q-tips, hamster toys and chewie blocks, a rubber Gumby and Pokey, and anything else I can find to drop in their toybox. Of course they have lots of hanging toys and bells, but for some reason they like to go through their toybox and pull out things to play with, carry around, and eventually drop on the floor for me to step on.

Like others, I rotate their toys around so they think they have "new" things, and I buy a lot of their toys on the hamster/gerbil aisle at the pet store, since those seem to be cheaper and very "bird friendly".
  • Debbie1210 likes this

#5 Debbie1210

Debbie1210

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

I don't think the fids ever think they have enough toys. I would suggest taking some of them out and leave a few he really likes. Then rotate them with the ones you took out. That keeps them guessing and playing. Be on the lookout for new toys and hit the hamster aisle. I got some great toys really cheap. Much less than the bird aisle at petsmart...

I never thought of checking the hamster aisle great idea!!

My birds each have a "toy box" in their cage, with ink pen caps, plastic bottle caps, straws, empty spool threads, pom poms, peanuts in the shell, q-tips, hamster toys and chewie blocks, a rubber Gumby and Pokey, and anything else I can find to drop in their toybox. Of course they have lots of hanging toys and bells, but for some reason they like to go through their toybox and pull out things to play with, carry around, and eventually drop on the floor for me to step on.

Like others, I rotate their toys around so they think they have "new" things, and I buy a lot of their toys on the hamster/gerbil aisle at the pet store, since those seem to be cheaper and very "bird friendly".

thanks for some great ideas i never thought about q-tips ,pen caps and hamster isle, now i cant wait to get to the petshop lol.

#6 Debbie1210

Debbie1210

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:24 PM

It really depends on the bird. Clyde isn't that interested in toys, but Jade loves and plays with each and every one of hers, and she has a ton. My starling plays with all her toys, and can make toys out of the most bizarre things. One tiel loves toys, the other one has to be in the mood to play with toys. I wish I'd thought of Barrel of Monkeys before! I know my starling will LOVE those and leave them all over the floor for me to step on in sock feet. Posted Image

I was looking for barrel of monkeys for a long time , i remember my sugar glider loved them i thought she would too, and when i wasnt looking for them i found them, and boy does she love them!! and they are on sale this week at walgreens ends tomorrow (saturday) buy one get one half off! I think i might go get another and one as a gift my my sister in laws quaker ;)

#7 amschneider8

amschneider8

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

I have been finding old baby toys or using the pieces on them to make new ones. He also likes shredding pieces of loofa.

Edited by amschneider8, 21 December 2012 - 10:55 PM.