MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Small But Sturdy Cage

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Aqua

Aqua

Adv Member

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:07 AM

Hello! I haven't posted here in a while but I'm finding myself in a bit of a dilemma. I plan to move out of my mom's house soon and will of course be taking my Quaker Kiwi with me, as well as my very rambunctious 2 year old cat Jasper. Problem is, right now Kiwi is in a huge cage, it could probably fit a large conure or African Grey comfortably. It also has a solid top and is VERY heavy, almost 200 lbs. As much as I hate to do it, I'm going to need to downgrade his cage size when I move. There just won't be enough room in a small apartment for a cage so large. I've read online that the minimum size is 18"x18"x18". Unfortunately, all the smaller cages seem to be so flimsy. My cat likes to jump on top of Kiwi's cage and antagonize him (and of course Kiwi antagonizes him right back) which is fine now with a sturdy solid-top cage but I'm worried with a smaller cage Jasper will be able to knock it over. Are there any heavy, sturdy, and small cages out there? Price isn't really an object if I find a good one but it can't be outrageously expensive. When I say sturdy though, I mean STURDY. My cat is super strong and has already broken two tv's and ripped down ceiling tiles when he gets bored (Which pretty much means any time I leave him alone for more than a few hours).

#2 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:26 PM

If your cat is that aggressive toward your bird, for Kiwi's safety you may have to do without some other furnishings in order to make room for the cage you know will keep him safe. I have cages of several sizes and the smaller the cage, the less substantial it is. I have never been able to find a really sturdy cage that isn't also big, because the manufacturers are making bigger cages for bigger birds and make them stronger accordingly.

You should also consider that your cat could still injure your bird through the bars, by scratching or batting at him.