MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Paper Lamp Shade

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 amschneider8

amschneider8

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 April 2013 - 01:21 AM

My Quaker is attempting to take over a chinese style paper lamp shade, I think as a nest? I do not think it is safe because it is constructed with wire, but he really loves climbing in it. If i found one with a bamboo type frame would it possibly be safe?

#2 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 07 April 2013 - 12:38 PM

I'm assuming this is a round type shade? I agree that the wire part is unsafe (no idea what kinds of poisonous metals he chould chew/eat with that.)

I think bamboo would be ok, but you'd have to find out if the bamboo has toxic laquers on it.

What about building one yourself with thick papers and something like popsicle sticks? There's got to be rice paper and unlaquered wooden sticks at a craft store...pretty easy to put together, too.
  • amschneider8 likes this

#3 amschneider8

amschneider8

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 03:57 PM

Thanks for the opinion. I could use dowels and paper to make a more square or rectangular one, that's a good ideal. I've thought more about it since, and I'm sure there's no way to tell what chemicals have been used to manufacture them. He sure wanted it though. I'm thinking now I'm going to get a big balloon, some flour and water paste, and plain paper strips and have my daughter make a big old fashioned pinata. Then we can cut little windows here and there and make him his own little clubhouse nest.

Edited by amschneider8, 14 April 2013 - 03:59 PM.

• Bene_Gesserit likes this

#4 amschneider8

amschneider8

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

So we are starting this and I am going to add a couple of drops of food coloring to the paste mixture to make it more colorful. I am also going to incorporate a string network around it before putting the last layers on to hang it from.

#5 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 10:48 AM

....and now I want to make one too. Posted Image

#6 amschneider8

amschneider8

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 May 2013 - 11:40 PM

He did love it, but he has shredded most of it. I guess my daughter will have to make more now Posted Image