MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Overgrown Beak

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

Some of you may remember a while back when somebody -- I suspected Clyde but then I decided it was Jade -- bit Benjy in the face. He healed quickly, but lately I've thought his beak looked a little "off." I couldn't figure out what was wrong, and he certainly eats and drinks and bites Mama just as well as ever. Last night I figured it out. The tip is too long and is grown kind of off center. Ringo's does that but she has a rock garden and I put treats among the rocks so she has to peck and hunt and she wears hers back down. Benjy has plenty of access to things to chew on to keep his beak in shape, too, but apparently he's not using them. I'm afraid I might have to towel him and take an emery board to his beak and that's not going to make either of us happy.

#2 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 01:45 PM

An emery board will work just fine, but you're right....he won't be happy about it!  Good luck! :)

I hate to even suggest this, but you might also want to take him to a vet if his beak keeps growing.

Zach and I took little Tito (diamond dove) in because his beak kept growing and it turned out that he had a problem with his kidneys or liver (I don't remember which).  Unfortunately there wasn't anything we could do, so we just kept trimming his beak until he passed.  Poor guy.

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 02:05 PM

An overgrown beak can be a symptom of fatty liver disease, but I'm sure this is a side effect of the chomp. His beak looked odd right after and I figured it had been injured, too.

#4 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 02:47 AM

I'm so glad that you know what caused it, and it's not life-threatening! :)

#5 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:14 AM

I didn't realize an overgrown beak was a symptom of fatty liver disease or kidney problems. I'm glad that's not the case with Benjy. You're brave, Siobhan, I'm not looking forward to having to trim a beak. I hate trimming nails.

Dani, I'm sorry about poor Tito.

#6 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:38 AM

I examined him again last night and it looks like some of it's gone. I wonder if he's been online and decided to manage it himself so I wouldn't use an emery board on him. LOL As I said, there are multiple options for beak management available to him. Every cage has a calcium chew or cuttle bone and there are tons of toys that are chewable and a scratchy perch where several of the others work on their beaks. I'll give it a few days before I resort to that, in case he IS working on it himself.