MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Sweet Potato Puffs...

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Majj

Majj

Marion aka Majj

• Members
  • 13,109 posts

Posted 20 May 2006 - 02:46 AM

SWEET POTATO PUFFS

Bake or boil a large sweet potato until soft. Peel and "mash" with:

1 cup chopped nuts (pecans, walnuts, almonds, pine nuts)
1 banana
1 cup Grape-nuts cereal
Add unsweetened apple juice to make the proper consistency to be moist but hold together. Use a melon baller or roll in your hands to make balls or "puffs". Shake them in a bag of seeds, unsweetened coconut flakes, and a little raw wheat germ. Serve or freeze for later use. You can add your birds' favorite treats to this recipe.

I did not have the Grape-nuts cereal don`t even know what it is BUT added 1/2 cup rolled oats and a cup of roudybush crumbles I guess you can improvise rolled them Budgie seeds..
Got the recipe from someone here who I think nabbed it from a Ekkie board..but all fids would love it I am sure and sweet potato is very good for them , my boys won`t eat banana on its own and they just love this .....
Lets us know if you try it and what the fids think...I cook a batch and freeze them in small freezer bags , The boys usually have one a night warmed up in the m/wThey love to help me cook too wub.gif

I also do brown rice and vegies and freeze in daily portions zap in the m/w for dinner...

#2 m_stephens

m_stephens

Adv Member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for the receipe. I just made a batch tonight... my Booda loves it . I think I used to much apple juice though, it's a bit mushy.
Do you have any other receipes to share? i would love to make something like a granola bar for my QP.

#3 Sandi Kiwis Mom

Sandi Kiwis Mom

"Love Me...Love My Fids!!!!

• Forum Manager
  • 20,884 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:36 PM

Thank you Majj...............they certainly look yummy!

#4 brandylaw

brandylaw

FREEZE! Put your hands up and slowly back away from the bird

• Members
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:40 PM

I am definitely going to try this one....just as soon as I hit the store.....Old Mother Hubbard here in this house right now!! sad.gif dry.gif

#5 Majj

Majj

Marion aka Majj

• Members
  • 13,109 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:07 AM

lolo...yep !! my boys love them zapped in the m/w for 1 min then break open so as not to be too hot ...They get one ball a night to share with their brown rice and mixed veggies....

#6 Sar

Sar

Adv Member

• Members
  • 680 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:26 AM

Thats such a good idea, your birds are beautiful

#7 Guest_Lynn_*

Guest_Lynn_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:31 AM

Thank you! I just hope there are some left for the birds! smile.gif

Quick question: Is an occasional "people" (salted) pistachio OK for them, or are salted nuts bad?

#8 Majj

Majj

Marion aka Majj

• Members
  • 13,109 posts

Posted 19 June 2006 - 08:41 AM

I know salt bad for them and so is sugar although I am sure most must get the occasional bit I try not to let them have it ..
My boys LOVE unsalted Cashews ....

#9 Arkali

Arkali

Ruby's mama

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 12:07 PM

Hey Majj,
I'm so making this for Ruby tonight - I have to kiss up to her.

As for grape-nuts, for those out of the country:
http://www.kraftfood.../grape_nuts.htm

That's a description. I'm sure you have a similar cereal in Australia smile.gif

#10 Tari

Tari

I will always love you, Pooder.

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 17 July 2006 - 07:04 PM

I went and got a few things to make this tonight. I'm hoping that I can entice my tiels as well as Pooder to start eating something other than pellets and some seed. My oldest tiel will eat bread (so am also making birdie bread) and they are all finally starting to show interest in our food. Hopefully this will make things a lot easier.

Tari

#11 Arkali

Arkali

Ruby's mama

• Members
  • 281 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:02 AM

Well, Ruby turned her beak up at the puffs. I don't know if it was because she's still pissy with me, or what. It actually seemed more like "You can't fool me! That's healthy stuff!" *sigh*

#12 Tari

Tari

I will always love you, Pooder.

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 18 July 2006 - 09:32 AM

Pooder and Dakotah both nibbled the puffs, but because it was so late, they didn't eat much. I'm hoping that tonight they will be a little more adventurous.

Going to make some beans and rice with veggies later on today. Wish me luck.

#13 Majj

Majj

Marion aka Majj

• Members
  • 13,109 posts

Posted 25 July 2006 - 10:00 AM

tongue.gif Little Brats ...they sure know when something thats bad for them is around and want it ..I rattle a lolly/candy paper and I have 2 little brats nearly down my throat trying to see what Mum just popped into her mouth... laugh.gif

#14 RHONDA L

RHONDA L

Adv Member

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:20 AM

Hi Majj smile.gif I will definitely try your puffs, can I use something other than banana as in melb they are $12 to $14 a kilo wacko.gif I will try them with banana when the price drops

#15 Majj

Majj

Marion aka Majj

• Members
  • 13,109 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:10 PM

LOL..The same here in NSW but my birds are spoilt I bought One big Bananna for $2.00 just for the boys ...Not bad though as it makes up to 2 months worth for me to freeze..using 2 big Sweet Potatos...

#16 Keke

Keke

Adv Member

• Members
  • 33 posts
  • Location: Hermann, Missouri A little Germann town sets along Missouri River, Home of the Mayfest

Posted 06 September 2006 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (Booda @ Jun 18 2006, 08:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the receipe. I just made a batch tonight... my Booda loves it . I think I used to much apple juice though, it's a bit mushy.
Do you have any other receipes to share? i would love to make something like a granola bar for my QP.

They really look Good will try them real soon for my gang

#17 Majj

Majj

Marion aka Majj

• Members
  • 13,109 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 08:21 AM

LOL glad you took my advice QPDad I see you over here checking out the recipes .lol..me too now I have another one to try ..sweet potato is suppose to be very very good for our guys I am so glad mine love their food ... rolleyes.gif piggys...
Good night I was going 2 hours ago to read in bed..lol. wacko.gif

#18 Cosmo & Marti's Mom

Cosmo & Marti's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,099 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:12 AM

How many does that make, about....I think I might make that for xmas for the sanctuary, but that involves making some for over 300 birds...any guesses to quanitites for that??

Thanks!

#19 Guest_GrumpyBirds_*

Guest_GrumpyBirds_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:54 AM

Where can I find raw wheat germ and whats the purpose of this product? Thanks

#20 pepe

pepe

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,281 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:07 PM

You can find raw wheat germ at health food shop/store. Sometimes a good grocery will have it in the cereal section as well. It is good fiber. It can lower cholesterol in humans. Pretty sure it is an antioxidant for birdies. To extend its shelf life you can toast it.

Majj, this is such a great recipe. I made it three times (lasted forever!) and Pepe loved it. Thanks smile.gif