MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

I'm Curious

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Andie's Mom

Andie's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:35 PM

Well I don't know what got into me today but I decided to cook for my birds. I found a mixed veggie mix with bow tie pasta at the grocery store the other day so I decided to fix that for them, plus I know that yams and sweet potatoes have lots of good vitamins and minerals in them. But they aren't my favorite in fact I don't like them at all so very seldom cook them. So I'd like to know how you all cook them to give to your birds. Do you peel them or leave them un peeled, do you bake, boil or nuke them.

Today I peeled and nuked them for 6 minutes before I mixed them with rice and the veggie pasta mix. I also added bell peppers (all three colors) and then I added raw apples and celery and cucumbers and threw in some pine nuts as well. so theres also green beans, pea, corn lima bean, kidney beans, garbonzo beans, broccoli and spinach in the mixture. So if these guys will eat it it will make me very happy. I also baked some butternut squash especially for them too...but haven't given it to them yet. Maybe this evening they get that.

Here's a picture of my creation I call Parrot Medeley...

[attachment=13911:attachment]

Come on share your creations with us! And let us know how they went over with your fids

#2 QuakerMom42

QuakerMom42

Adv Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,432 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:50 PM

Sweet potato's I feed raw. However the true yam is deadly to feed raw, it is also very hard to get in America. Not impossible so anything that is labled Yam I cook.

#3 brandylaw

brandylaw

FREEZE! Put your hands up and slowly back away from the bird

• Members
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:39 PM

I cook them all 3 methods, depending on mood and time.
Your medley looks yummy. smile.gif

I dont peel, just wash and cook and mash. smile.gif

#4 LuvMyHarley1

LuvMyHarley1

Harley's Mom Julie

• Members
  • 12,565 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:01 PM

Yummy - I think I would like to have some of that scrumptous food....Looks good Connie.... smile.gif

#5 jeane

jeane

Adv Member

• Members
  • 50 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 10:43 AM

My fids LOVE yams!! Love them. I usually boil them for about a half an hour and then peel and mash them and sometimes I add a little orange juice. If I'm going to eat one I'll bake it for about an hour and a half because that's how I prefer to eat them and they certainly eat that too.

#6 Joanne's Animal Kingdom

Joanne's Animal Kingdom

in loving memory of Tiki

• Members
  • 2,425 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:00 PM

I buy most of my veggies at an organic grocery store so I just bake the sweet potatoes and cut it in half and put it in the cage - Tiki loves it that way - he even eats a little of the skin.

#7 Guest_IMPduJour_*

Guest_IMPduJour_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 February 2007 - 05:47 PM

For me it depends sometimes I bake them and mash them and other times I will dice it up into parrot bite sized cubes which is easier after its cooled down and toss it with raisins and other dried fruit as a medley of sorts.

#8 Cheekys mum

Cheekys mum

Adv Member

• Members
  • 6,032 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 06:10 PM

I give Cheeky and Cherub aweet pots raw and miked

#9 tikileahsmom

tikileahsmom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 970 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:34 PM

I had talked to a woman that makes and sells organic bird food and she said yams are fine to peel and serve raw, but sweet potatoes should be cooked. My birds like when I cook them and add some yogurt to them. I know it sounds gross. LOL
tikileahsmom

#10 Casey's Mom

Casey's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,358 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:36 PM

QUOTE (tikileahsmom @ Dec 30 2007, 09:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had talked to a woman that makes and sells organic bird food and she said yams are fine to peel and serve raw, but sweet potatoes should be cooked. My birds like when I cook them and add some yogurt to them. I know it sounds gross. LOL
tikileahsmom

I think it's the other way around- the true yam should be cooked but sweet potatoes are okay raw... I always cook them though. smile.gif

#11 tikileahsmom

tikileahsmom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 970 posts

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:13 PM

I just checked a few sites and you're right about sweet potato being served raw. It says cooking them destroys the Vitamin A in it. It does say it's ok to feed yams raw too, but they're usually better accepted when cooked. Geez though I had it backwards and am so glad you were paying attention here. LOL I've been buying the yams so I could cut them up and put in my raw veggie mix. They're usually more expensive and harder to find, so my life will be easier now. I just bought sweet potatoes to put in my birdie muffins, so will save them for the veggie mix and get the yams to put in them instead
tikileahsmom

QUOTE (Casey's Mom @ Dec 30 2007, 09:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think it's the other way around- the true yam should be cooked but sweet potatoes are okay raw... I always cook them though. smile.gif

#12 Guest_Dark Angel_*

Guest_Dark Angel_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2008 - 11:49 PM

I do make sweet potatos for my birds. I am one of those odd ppl that loves them. Usually I just poke them with a fork so they dont explode in my oven and bake them. Cool and cut into pieces or sometimes I mash them.

I hope joni aka frankies mom has time to post her birdie crunch recipe. Its so easy and all the birds love it. I would post it but I dont want to take credit for her creation.