MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Feeding... Baby Food

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Jenny73

Jenny73

Adv Member

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:13 PM

Hello Im new here..
and wanted to know if feeding my Quaker GERBER baby food would be ok..If so Do i get the mushy stuff or the 2-3 foods??? also can he have OATMEAL.. withteh fruit in it, My kids love that stuff..

Im looking at fast ideas here..I am stay home mom and we are always on the go and so is birdie (will be)..I home school my kids and he will be learing with the Kindergardener.. this year..

any help would be great..

Thanks

#2 Paula0442

Paula0442

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:28 PM

[b]I had to use fruits and veggies baby foods for 3+ weeks. I think they were stage 1. I kept offering the regular f's and v's too and finally she wants the real stuff and not the baby food. I still put the fruit kind out though just for a little treat.

#3 arwenelle

arwenelle

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,105 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:31 PM

Just watch what is in the baby food. All you want is the fruit/veggie and water. I won't trust it if there's anything else. I give mine oatmeal. I just add some water and a little bit of applejuice for flavoring. She loves it! Hope this helps!

#4 QTQP4me

QTQP4me

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:32 PM

baby food is ok as long as it is only the fruit/veggie and water. no additives such as garlic or onion powder. i feed my bird oatmeal, and he loves it. i call him the oatmeal junkie. smile.gif be wary of baby cereal tho, as it contains added iron. also, if he/she doesn't seem to like it at first, think about the temp or consistency. some like warm oatmeal, some don't mind it cooler. some like it thicker, some like it runnier. i would think the baby food "step" jars might be the same preferences: some like it pureed, some like it chunky.

another thing to remember is that it can take multiple offerings (and discarding) of foods before they decide it is "ok" to eat. louie only knows he likes oatmeal because he lunged at the dish and got some on his beak lol. i offered some rice and he promptly tossed it aside.

there is a list of good foods and foods to avoid. i am blanking on the forum - diet and health maybe? also, we just discussed the oatmeal/baby food thing, but i don't know how to link to the specific post. hopefully someone will be along soon to link you up.

hope this helps,
kris

#5 Jenny73

Jenny73

Adv Member

• Members
  • 37 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:36 PM

I know he is just being weaned and on pellets too.. Im trying to get my Stock up before he comes home..

thanks for all the ADVICE

#6 Paula0442

Paula0442

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 08 October 2007 - 10:43 PM

My Cockatoo LOVED oatmeal. I haven't tried it on my Quaker or Budgie yet.

#7 Drophley

Drophley

Adv Member

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:21 PM

QUOTE (Paula0442 @ Oct 8 2007, 11:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My Cockatoo LOVED oatmeal. I haven't tried it on my Quaker or Budgie yet.

That picture wub.gif is sooooo cute! biggrin.gif

#8 KerrinKiwi

KerrinKiwi

Adv Member

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 30 March 2008 - 10:42 PM

Oh I just love that picture! wub.gif

#9 ReneeNoelle

ReneeNoelle

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 31 March 2008 - 10:13 PM

Watch your oatmeal though. If you're giving your bird instant oatmeal with the dried fruit, chances are it's high in sugar as well. Used just plain oats and add dried fruits with no sulfates as preservatives for your QP if you want the best results. The instant stuff isn't as good for them because of the preservatives and the sugar content. I give my birds a bit of baby bird formula you can get at any pet store ( I used "Exact" formula) and mix baby food that has just the veggie and water as ingredients on the label. So far they've all loved it! It's also OK to continue this treat at night if you like clear into their adult lives. It works good for bonding and if you ever have to administer medicine it's easy to hide in the food. Are you feeding from a spoon or syringe? Spoon feeding is messier than syringe feeding. If your baby was hand-fed, he/she will probably already know how to eat out of the syringe. Can your breeder give you a quick lesson when you pick the bird up? Good luck!!! You'll love having your new QP!

#10 Tara Rose

Tara Rose

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 13 April 2008 - 10:28 PM

My birds really dig mashed potatoes. My cockatoo inhales them so if you have a bird that eats like that make sure there are no hotspots on whatever you are feeding.