MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Healthy 'Binder' For Diy Seed Treats/Balls?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Iggstar

Iggstar

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 02:26 PM

Hi,
For some time I've been wondering what one can use to create homemade seed treats, like the honey sticks that are sold in pet shops. I'm interested in using organic seeds and an edible, preferably HEALTHY binder to act as the 'glue' to hold the seeds together. Has anyone done this successfully at home? I'm thinking along the lines of organic brown rice flour paste, or organic seed butter (dried in dehydrator) or something like that. Of course I want to avoid sugars and anything that could be potentially hazardous. Bobby loves his seeds but I need to make sure he doesn't get too much and really needs something to 'work at' to help keep his beak trim too. Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Iggy and Bobby

#2 Andie's Mom

Andie's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 12,839 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 04:25 PM

It will really depend on how long you want it to last... If you want to just do single serving type quantities...that won't spoil or go rancid before he eats them all up...you can try using fresh peanut butter or almond butter and mix your seed mix up in it to a thick handle-able ball or what ever shape and freeze it You could get creative I spose and put it on a popsicicle stick that has a hole in one end so you can hang it or a lollipop stick but if I were going to do that I'm make them small enough that he could consume them in a day or two at the most... You might also try using pine cones that have been disinfected either by heating them in the oven for a few hours at 210-250 and then rolling them in the p.nut or almond butter and then rolling them in your seed mix...and tying them with a string or leather, the cone will give him something to play with as well... Another way to disinfect them would to be soak them overnight in a mild bleach water solution and then rinse them extra well with fresh water, or you could probably use ACV or GSE and then let them dry and then proceed.

The binding factor will just depend on how long of "shelf life" you want it to have. For that matter...you could take dried apple slices and dip it in a honey mixture and roll it in the seed. But never the less, seed is still seed and still has your fat contents be it organic or not.

#3 Iggstar

Iggstar

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 08 January 2010 - 07:51 PM

Great ideas, thank you! Especially the pine cones, I'll see if I can harvest some small ones this weekend.
Basically I'm trying to switch my little seed addict (which is how he came to me earlier this week) over to 'seeds as a special snack' as opposed to 'seeds as a staple'. Thought this might be a 'funner' way to do it. I suppose I was thinking the dried/crunch factor would be good for beak trimming etc, shelf life not really an issue as I can't see the small treats lasting that long to begin with.

It will really depend on how long you want it to last... If you want to just do single serving type quantities...that won't spoil or go rancid before he eats them all up...you can try using fresh peanut butter or almond butter and mix your seed mix up in it to a thick handle-able ball or what ever shape and freeze it You could get creative I spose and put it on a popsicicle stick that has a hole in one end so you can hang it or a lollipop stick but if I were going to do that I'm make them small enough that he could consume them in a day or two at the most... You might also try using pine cones that have been disinfected either by heating them in the oven for a few hours at 210-250 and then rolling them in the p.nut or almond butter and then rolling them in your seed mix...and tying them with a string or leather, the cone will give him something to play with as well... Another way to disinfect them would to be soak them overnight in a mild bleach water solution and then rinse them extra well with fresh water, or you could probably use ACV or GSE and then let them dry and then proceed.

The binding factor will just depend on how long of "shelf life" you want it to have. For that matter...you could take dried apple slices and dip it in a honey mixture and roll it in the seed. But never the less, seed is still seed and still has your fat contents be it organic or not.

#4 CosmoKramer04

CosmoKramer04

Adv Member

• Members
  • 674 posts

Posted 07 March 2010 - 03:26 PM

I am looking for some treat ideas and like the peanut butter ball idea since its something we always have around... Is crunchy peanut butter ok you think caues both mine loves regular ol peanuts.