MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

New Addition To Our Family!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
144 replies to this topic

#41 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:03 AM

That's right!! I have Spina Bifida, so I understand that congenital limitations make us mighty strong stock!! HooYa!! Tougher than nails angry.png lol

• Allee likes this

#42 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 26 January 2014 - 01:17 AM

That's right, lovely lady!! :)
  • Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#43 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 01:05 PM

Cami's vet appointment went great! She's not pregnant! smiley.png

She's about 840lbs and a body score of 3 (the scale goes from 1 - completely emaciated to 9 - obese), so she's put on a good amount of weight since she came home. She got her vaccinations, her teeth didn't need to be floated (they'll be done in October, when the clinic has a special) and overall got a clean bill of health. smiley.png

He suggested adding some protein (alfalfa) and fat (canola oil) to her diet, so I'm gradually working that in.

I'm so happy with her progress! smiley.png

#44 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

That's fantastic news Dani.  She is coming along really well under your loving care.  I am off to visit Richie tomorrow and see if I can pick between Tia and Markeen as to who I want to sponsor.  Both can never be rehomed so I can spend heaps of time with both of them.  Got bags of carrots for bribery purposes biggrin.png

#45 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 10:06 PM

Awww, good luck, Jan! :)

Cami is coming along very nicely, I figure she'll be at her perfect weight in another 6 weeks or so.  While she's gaining weight we'll also work on building her muscles, by working on backing up and stepping over small branches that I can find around the property. :)

#46 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:03 AM

I have a big goofy smile on my face. Cami's health is improving rapidly. I'm glad she's not pregnant and can delay having her teeth floated for the time being. :)

Jan, please share your experience with your new friends with us. That is such a great thing to do. :)

#47 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 03:41 PM

Thank you, Allee!  She is improving much faster than I expected, and I'm really excited about that! 

Pictures coming today! :)

#48 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:05 AM

I spent some time with the 2 horses both of which were really gentle creatures.  Then I spent some time with the "wild" pony, Izzy.  She is not used to humans as she was left in a paddock for 5 years .  When she came in her hooves were badly overgrown.  She didn't want to know about me last week.  Today she came up and sniffed my hand.  I did a bit of carrot bribing - she is a bit more relaxed and very interested in what was going on with the other horses.  I think she might be the one for me.  I was told I could come any time I wanted to spend time with her.  Also the big 17 hand thoroughbred who has just come into care wouldn't leave me alone.  He is a beautiful animal and seems to crave attention.  I am enjoying the time spent with the horses.

#49 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:02 AM

That's amazing, Jan!  Congratulations!!!

There's something so special when you're able to *finally* connect with a horse that really doesn't think it wants to connect with humans.  I'm so happy you were able to experience that feeling. :)

Please be careful when you're handling that pony, though...ponies can have attitudes (think Napoleon complex) and especially one that doesn't know if it wants to be handled.....I'd hate for something to happen.  Also, once Izzy gets more comfortable and confident with you, she may try to boss you around.  Don't be afraid to get big and loud, to establish your leadership role if she tries to "put you in your place".

I'm so excited for you, though!!!  Are you allowed to take (and post) pictures?? :)

#50 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 04:12 AM

I have taken a couple of pictures of Izzy today. Not sure how to post though.  Thanks for the heads up about her attitude.  Gees, the quaker bosses me, my dog tries to boss me and now a pony is going to try it on. 

#51 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:23 PM

The pony might stay sweet and gentle, I just wanted to give you a heads up. :)

#52 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:29 PM

If you have a Photobucket or Flickr account, you can upload your photos there then copy the "Direct Link" (not the IMG code) and then come here and start a post.  Youl'll see a button that looks like a tree in a picture frame on the toolbar, click that.  Then paste the "Direct Link" into the box (press Ctrl+V on the keyboard) and click OK.

If your photos are on Facebook, right click on the picture and click "Copy Image Location" and then come here, click on the tree in the picture frame and paste the link in the box using Ctrl+V.

#53 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 06:33 PM

Jan, that's wonderful! Izzy sounds great and so do his friends. I'm so happy for you.

Dani, I am so happy Cami is coming along so well, so soon. I also know you are doing an amazing job.

Please keep sharing your stories and updates.

#54 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 08:50 PM

Here are a couple pictures of DARLING Izzy!!!  She's SO stinking cute!!!!!!

Izzy when she first came to the rescue (she was left in a pasture and ate too much rich grass - in combination with a lack of trimming, that's why her feet look like that):

Izzy3_zps0a82159d.jpg

And recent pictures:

Izzy2_zpsa41cba26.jpg

Izzy1_zps21aeef80.jpg

#55 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:10 PM

Oh my gosh!! What a precious pony. Her cute name fits her perfectly. Poor thing, her hooves really needed work. She looks so good in the recent photos.

Jan, what a beautiful new friend. I'm so happy for you!!! :)

#56 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 09:43 PM

LOL Miss Cami is NOT impressed with the freezing cold weather we're having!  She wants to go outside, but has to stay in her stall because it's so cold and windy. :D

This morning I was going to turn her out, because I wasn't *that* cold when I got out of my car....the other two horses were getting their pedicures...well, Dakota was in the middle of his and Tucker was outside getting lunged, working off some energy before his turn.  Dakota was NOT a happy camper when I took Cami away, so I had to bring her back inside....we had a few words about THAT. LOL She kept trying to turn around and run me over to get out to the pasture....but all was fine.  It only took a few minutes for her to understand that I'm the boss. LOL

#57 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:04 PM

Oh my! A little attitude from Ms. Cami! I'm glad you worked things out so quickly. Lol. She's feeling comfortable enough to let you know she has an opinion too. I'm glad you didn't allow her to shove you around.

#58 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 10:21 PM

She figured out that backing up isn't much fun, and she doesn't get anywhere. LOL

#59 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:32 PM

Thanks Dani for posting the photos.  I get to work with her again this weekend.  Been ringing up horse friends asking how to go about getting her used to me so have lots of useful information.  I was thinking about Cami today.  Any updated photos????? 

#60 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:00 AM

I wanted to take some today, but it was so cold I didn't stay at the barn for very long! :(