MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Found - Baby Cockatiel

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 03:19 AM

When I got home from work last night my housemate told me about a cockatiel that was hanging around her aviary.  We couldn't catch it.  Anyway, we had massive rain this afternoon and when I got home the poor little thing was drenched in a tree.  It eventually came down and I managed to catch it.  It is so very young and very thin so must have escaped a few days ago.  It is currently in a small cage and eating and drinking.  If we cant find who owns it, it will join the other cockatiels in the aviary which belong to my housemate.  Shah is very angry about the whole situation even though the cage isn't in his room.  My hands have lots of extra wounds that haven't been made by Shah.  Boy those cockatiels can bite.

#2 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

I have visible evidence on my hands this morning that tiels can bite. Freddie and Johnny refused to go to bed last night and I finally had to turn the lights way down to catch them. Freddie agreed to get on my head and go into his cage after much fuss, but I had to catch Johnny, who is usually a sweet cooperative thing, and he chomped the stuffing out of me.

#3 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 12:27 PM

Awww, poor little thing; I'm glad you were able to catch it!

And YES, tiels are normally very sweet and loving, but if they're mad/scared enough, look out!  Taz had a really bad night fright last week, and he needed his mama...so Zach had to wake me up to calm him down.  He was so upset, though, that he refused to let me pick him up to snuggle and then put him back to bed.  He didn't WANNA go back to bed, kept flying back to the living room.  I tried to pick him up one last time, and he nailed me several times.  So I finally had to towel him and put him in bed.

So yes, I totally understand both of your pains!

#4 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:25 PM

Bless the little wet bird!!! I hope he finds a lovely home in your aviary and enjoys being in a flock.

#5 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 08:24 PM

Oh Jan, I'm so glad you found the little wet booger and conned him out of the tree. If his owners don't show up, he will have an excellent home with you. I'm not surprised Shah had nothing nice to say. :( He wants his Mom all to himself. I bet cockatiels can bite hard when they want to. I was surprised at how hard tiny little parakeets can bite when they are frightened.

#6 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 20 February 2014 - 03:36 AM

The little cockatiel, who I have nicknamed Baby, has been accepted into the flock in the aviary.  He/she is as bright as a button now it is with its own kind.

• Sharyn and Mr Piggy likes this

#7 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:05 AM

Awww! Good for Baby. I love the name. I know he/she will be a very happy bird.