MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Possible Sprained Wing

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Seraffa

Seraffa

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 01:55 PM

During some flapping exercises Pauly decided to fly off and headed towards a metal chair with a "bang" with his beak on the seat, before skidding off. sad.png I'm watching closely and he is still using his right wing but it droops a little bit. Sometimes he pulls it tight against his body and sometimes he doesn't. I guess no more flapping exercises for awhile, then. Poor birdie. sad.png If it is sore is there anything I can put in his food/water to make him feel better?

Edited by Seraffa, 08 July 2014 - 01:55 PM.

#2 easttex

easttex

Adv Member

• Members
  • 88 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 02:20 PM

Drooping is not a good sign. It doesn't sound broken, but it could be sprained. If it is sprained, it might benefit from a wrap, but you really have to know how to do a wrap properly or you can easily do more harm than good. After several days, it is likely too late for a wrap, and will have to heal as is. If it is still drooping tomorrow, I would get him in to a vet. Only an X-ray can tell for sure. You can also get an anti-inflammatory, like Metacam or Rimadyl, as he may well be in pain. There really isn't anything else I know of that you can give him. Keep him as still as you can. If you have a small travel cage, I would put him in that. Keep him warm and keep an eye on him. If you do decide to take him in, I would withhold food in the morning until I spoke with the vet's office to get instructions.

#3 Seraffa

Seraffa

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 July 2014 - 12:39 PM

Thanks, I just got to your message today....he's keeping it close to his body most of the time so I'm wondering if I've just never observed this before, or maybe he had been hurt in the past and it just didn't straighten out like the other wing. Otherwise, he's his normal self.

Edited by Seraffa, 09 July 2014 - 12:41 PM.