MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Bonnie

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:07 AM

Bonnie's gone. I knew she was really bad last night, but she'd looked bad the night before and she rallied. I found her this morning, and it looks like she had a seizure. I had been thinking she hadn't injured her foot or leg after all, but had had a little stroke, and now I think that was right and she had a big one last night and died.

I got her for my birthday in 2008 and she was around 6 months old then. She was always a sweet and shy bird, not very vocal unless she was mad at Benjy, and didn't want to come out and fly around even after he started to do so daily. She'd just sit by the open door and visit with me and sometimes she'd let me stroke her tummy.

I went to school with a girl who has four parakeets crammed into a cage that's hardly big enough for one, and when one of hers got sick and I suggested a vet, she said, "It's just a parakeet" :angry: and I imagine a lot of people would say something like that, but you all understand. Bonnie wasn't "just a parakeet." Bonnie was my baby, just like the others all are, and I'm going to miss her.

#2 ZoeyBird

ZoeyBird

Adv Member

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:37 AM

OH NO!! I am so sorry!! I have been following the thread about her foot and was really hoping your first thought was right,that it was sprained and would pass. Poor Benjy, how is he taking it?

#3 jaytee

jaytee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

Oh, I'm so sorry about Bonnie. Posted Image Posted Image

#4 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:30 AM

I don't think Benjy realizes it yet. He's still in the big cage and I don't think any of them noticed me removing her body from the spare cage this morning. When they first get uncovered in the morning, they all start chowing down and I did it quickly so they wouldn't see. Maybe I should let them see her so they know I didn't just spirit her away. But I don't want them to think I did something to her. I kind of feel like I did, that it's my fault, but I don't know what a vet could have done about a stroke. They can't even do much for a human who's had one.

#5 ZoeyBird

ZoeyBird

Adv Member

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 12:14 PM

No, you can't blame yourself AT ALL!! From what I have read of others with sick or injured budgies it sounds like it's nearly impossible to treat those little guys. You gave her comfort, peace and quiet and LOVE her last few days, thats what really matters!!

#6 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 02:55 PM

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. You are in our prayers tonight.

#7 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:23 PM

When I went to get her for her burial, all the other birds were chattering and squawking and talking like they do in the morning, and I thought they should know what was happening, so I unwrapped Bonnie and let them see her. They all suddenly got very quiet, and Jade came to the front of her cage and looked at Bonnie, and I moved her a little closer so she could see better, and I swear Jade knew exactly what was going on. Jade's reaction was the most amazing. I didn't think she really even much noticed the budgies except when Benjy annoys her and then she just lunges at him and he flies away. But she really seemed to want a good close look, and then she looked up at me and there was understanding and intelligence in her eyes. The others saw her but only Jade wanted to LOOK at her, if you know what I mean.

I buried her near the bird feeder and I'm going to plant a little flowering bush there in the spring. I took all her toys and perches out and soaked them in hot water with bleach, and then rinsed them in hot water and set them aside to air dry. I don't think she had anything contagious, but it's best to be safe. I'll give the toys back to Benjy tonight -- they came out of their cage. Then I put that cage away out of sight. Clyde had been using it for a fort before Bonnie moved into it, and I think it was making him aggressive, so I just took it to the storeroom. If we need it again, it's only a few steps away.

#8 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 03:43 PM

Siobhan, I'm so sorry. I'm in tears right now...it's amazing, how much one little bird can touch our lives. Fly free, Bonnie.

I'm fairly certain that Chewy thought I did something horrible to Conan...after he passed, whenever I passed Chewy's cage he would say "Hi, Conan!" He never said that before Conan died, only afterward...he continued to say it every so often for about a year and a half. Made me feel terrible. :(

Please don't blame yourself, you did everything you could and a vet wouldn't have been able to do anything. I asked my vet, when I took Conan in after he had a small stroke. Take care of yourself and your flock.

(((((HUGS)))))

#9 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:30 PM

Thanks, Dani. That does make me feel a bit better, knowing for sure that a vet couldn't have helped her. It would have terrified her so to go to the vet, and to have strangers handle her, and once I really examined her leg and foot, I was sure she hadn't injured herself. That only left a stroke as the reason she couldn't use it, and peace and quiet were the only things I could do for her.

Our basset George had a small stroke about a year ago, and the vet couldn't even do anything about that. You can hope they recover without too much disability, and you can arrange their world so they can function with decreased ability, and that's about it.

#10 MrsBlackjack

MrsBlackjack

Adv Member

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

Oh Sweetheart, I sit here with the tears blinding me, I'm so sorry for your loss. Bonnie was a very lucky girl to have an amazing Mummy like you. Soar high Bonnie with your new wings and I know you'll be waiting at the Bridge. Rest In Peace sweet little baby.

#11 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 05:52 PM

So sorry to hear about little Bonnie.

It sounds like she was loved and cared for right up until the moment she passed on, and we can all only hope to be that fortunate when our time comes.

Sending thoughts and prayers to you and the rest of your flock.

Lindee

#12 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:26 PM

I am so sorry for your loss Siobhan. Shah and I will say a special prayer for Bonnie tonight. I am sure she is watching over you.

#13 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:34 PM

So sorry for your sad loss, Siobhan. You did everything you could these last few days to keep her comfortable, and gave her a good life all along. You and Bonnie and your flock are in my thoughts and prayers.

#14 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 12:42 AM

Benjy was very clingy tonight and he was also determined to dislodge Clyde from his spot as Chief Bird, and I kept trying to discourage him, but he wouldn't be discouraged and finally pushed Clyde past endurance and got his toe nipped. It hurt his feelings more than his toe -- I checked and he's fine physically, it's only a scratch. I'm sure it smarted, but he bit my lip earlier this evening and did more damage to me than Clyde did to him. I may be reading more into Benjy's behavior than is really there, but I'm afraid he's thinking if he doesn't claim me and become top bird that he's going to disappear, too. He may not realize that Bonnie died even though I showed her to him. Jade wouldn't kiss me and the tiels were grouchy. Maggie's the only one who seems unaffected.

#15 Jen_and_spiggy

Jen_and_spiggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 02:23 AM

:( sorry to hear about bonnie... Its awful losing a loved one

#16 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 03:17 AM

The birds will miss Bonnie's presence and they will grieve for her in their own way. When I lost Mikey the cockatiel, I was shocked to see Shah become almost depressed given that he hates the cockatiels. Needless to say, Pippin (Mikey's partner) stopped eating and it was very difficult getting him to start eating again. Even Rebel (Mikey's daughter) who had always fought with Mikey, became very quiet and subdued for a number of days. Just let them go through it in their own way (minus physical violence to each other) - they will probably all handle it differently. There may be a change in the hierachy. My thoughts are with you.

#17 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:15 AM

I know a few years ago when we lost our dog Rosie, George was depressed for a month. He drooped around and didn't have any interest in much of anything. We've never lost a bird until now, so I wasn't sure how they'd react. I had a terrible time getting them to bed, too. Nobody wanted to cooperate. It didn't help that I had to work late last night and didn't have much time spend with them. I have to work late tonight, too.

#18 Pies Mom

Pies Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,171 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:21 AM

I'm so sorry, Siobhan! Hugs!

Just remember that you did everything you could to make her comfortable for her last few days, keeping you and your flock in my thoughts!

#19 Julies Jungle

Julies Jungle

Julie

• Members
  • 1,506 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 10:43 AM

I am sorry to hear about Bonnie. You are in my thoughts.

#20 Birdysue

Birdysue

Adv Member

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:46 AM

Bonnie's gone. I knew she was really bad last night, but she'd looked bad the night before and she rallied. I found her this morning, and it looks like she had a seizure. I had been thinking she hadn't injured her foot or leg after all, but had had a little stroke, and now I think that was right and she had a big one last night and died.

I got her for my birthday in 2008 and she was around 6 months old then. She was always a sweet and shy bird, not very vocal unless she was mad at Benjy, and didn't want to come out and fly around even after he started to do so daily. She'd just sit by the open door and visit with me and sometimes she'd let me stroke her tummy.

I went to school with a girl who has four parakeets crammed into a cage that's hardly big enough for one, and when one of hers got sick and I suggested a vet, she said, "It's just a parakeet" :angry: and I imagine a lot of people would say something like that, but you all understand. Bonnie wasn't "just a parakeet." Bonnie was my baby, just like the others all are, and I'm going to miss her.

Wow.. sooooo sorry..