MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Grandma (Was I'm Scared... :( )

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 12:48 AM

My grandma called my mom at 8:00 this morning, with severe chest pain that started at 1am. My mom took her to the ER not long after, and the doctors couldn't figure out what was wrong. They checked her in to the hospital, and this evening she had an EKG (I think) and tomorrow she's having another test (angio-something), but after a discussion with two cardiologists my mom said that she's having open heart surgery to replace the valve on her aorta (I think). I'm so worried and scared.

Please send good thoughts, good karma, prayers, anything!

Edited by msdani1981, 23 April 2013 - 06:55 PM.

#2 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:36 AM

Hi Dani, your grandma is in the best place and they have got on to the problem quickly. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 07:59 AM

While that's a serious surgery, I have a friend who's had that done a couple of times, and it's something that lots of people have done, so it's fairly routine. Try not to worry.

#4 owned by racal

owned by racal

Adv Member

• Members
  • 624 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:47 AM

Prayers and comfort going out to you. Hope this makes you feel better my ex husband went in for a triple by-pass surgery 3 years ago almost he's a construction worker and works heavy lifting etc. he's doing very well. My daughter went in at five years of age in early heart failure for an atriel valve defect she's 22 years old now,and my ex-husband is 56 years old with a mentally challenged 9 year old daughter. your grandma is in good hands they obviously were on top of things. May God comfort you and give you peace.

#5 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 11:42 AM

Thank you, everyone. That helps a lot. :)

#6 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 04:39 PM

How's your grandma today?

#7 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 05:00 PM

Good thoughts and prayers being sent your way.

Siobhan is right, open heart surgery is practically "common" these days. Of course, when it's your loved one, nothing is common, but hopefully the doctors will fix what's wrong and she'll be feeling much better very soon.

Lindee

#8 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:21 PM

Okay, I just got home from the hospital, and the doctor came in while I was there. She's having a double bypass, as well as a valve replacement/repair. She's in good spirits today (but wants to go home). Her surgery will be scheduled for tomorrow, between 10am and noon. There are only two ORs dedicated to heart surgeries, and the first "opening" is on Friday. However, the doctor said the surgery needs to be done now, or she will die. So, I'm glad they're squeezing her in. LOL She has some issues that will make the surgery more complicated than others, but he seems optimistic.

After the surgery she will be in the ICU for a week, and then be transferred to a nursing home for some time.

Thank you so much for your prayers, I can feel them! Posted Image

Edited by msdani1981, 16 April 2013 - 08:24 PM.

#9 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 16 April 2013 - 08:25 PM

Sending you and your grandmother some good wishes.

#10 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 01:34 AM

Hey Dani, what's happening? Sending lots of hugs your way (and to your grandma as well).

#11 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 03:14 AM

Hi Jan, I just got home from the hospital (it's 1am here). I'm going to bed now, but I promise I will update here tomorrow! I posted a bunch of updates as today went on, on Facebook.

The operation was a success, and she's fine! :)

#12 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 12:01 PM

All of my Facebook updates from yesterday:
(Sorry the formatting is wonky!)

10:45am:
My grandma is having open heart surgery today, please keep her in your prayers. She is in good spirits, the hospital Chaplain is here now, talking with her.

She's upset because she hasn't had an appetite for two days, and now she CAN'T eat or drink anything today.

11:45am:

Home for a nap, then back to the hospital...this waiting sucks!

4:30pm:

In the waiting room...grandma is upstairs waiting to be put under anesthesia. We all went up to say bye.

(They started her operation at 5:17pm)

6:00pm:

We're sitting in the waiting room. She went in about 45 minutes ago with 5 hours to go.

8:30pm:

Zach just got here.....still waiting. :)

9:45pm:

Okay, the nurse just came, she's doing fine and they will hopefully be finished around midnight.

11:00pm:

They're done and Gram did great! They just need to warm her up and close the incision. The doctor will talk to us in about an hour!!

I'm going to sleep WELL tomorrow!!

11:45pm:

We moved to a different waiting room, we're in the ICU now. Waiting to talk to the doctor.

12:30am:

Operation a complete success!! The doctor said it was scary, with some complications, but she's fine!

She definitely had a heart attack on Sunday night, and her heart was pretty badly damaged. The doctor said that if she had waited much longer to tell someone about her chest pain, she would not have survived. There was fluid draining out of her heart, and her lungs were wet, so they had to take care of those problems first, and then they did the bypasses and valve replacement (with the valve from a pig). She bled more than a "normal" patient, so that was tricky, too. But they took care of her, and her heart is working great now!

1:15am

Okay, now I'm going to SLEEP!!! :) Goodnight, Facebook!

9:40am

Even better news...I didn't have to babysit Sydney (my 5 year old niece) this morning, so I fell into bed just after 1am and just now woke up! Yay for GREAT sleep!!!! :)

#13 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 04:46 PM

That's great news Dani. I am really glad that your grandma did so well.

#14 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 18 April 2013 - 08:51 PM

She did very well. She made it through the night, and is in a lot of pain today. I didn't go to the hospital today, wanted her to rest. My sister and I are going tomorrow. Apparently they're keeping her pretty sedated, and my mom said it's hard to see her like that. But she's alive and expected to make a full recovery (in time)!

#15 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 06:16 PM

Well, Grandma is very delusional....she doesn't know where she is, and this morning she didn't know my mom or my great-aunt. She wants to "go hide" because she hurts and doesn't know why. This afternoon when the nurses left she said to my mom "Quick Sandy, let's go hide! We need to hide!" She just knows that where she is isn't a good place. Poor thing. :(

#16 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

The first few days after that kind of surgery can be quite uncomfortable for the patient-- and the strong pain medication fogs up their thinking a little too. My favorite aunt went through a valve replacement many years ago, and that's how it was for her. Hope that your grandmother continues to make good progress.

#17 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 01:07 AM

Dont worry Dani, she will be fine. The drugs and shock of the operation really confuse them.

#18 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 20 April 2013 - 02:06 AM

Luckily, I've been through plenty of surgeries myself, so I sort of know what she's going through. It doesn't bother me too much, but my poor sister....she went in to see her for a couple minutes and came out crying. :( It is very hard to see Grandma like this, but I know she'll come out of it soon enough.

#19 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 04:59 PM

How's your Grandma?

#20 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 22 April 2013 - 07:30 PM

Well, a miracle happened yesterday and last night........she was discharged from the hospital today, and is home! :D

When my mom called me this morning I said "WHAT!!!!" and when Zach called me a couple hours later and I told him, he said "WHAT!!!!!" LOL She wasn't supposed to be released until sometime next week, but she's doing amazingly well! :)