MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

When It Rains, It Pours...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:08 PM

I can't believe I need to ask for prayers so soon.....but yesterday my sister's home caught fire, and was badly damaged.

My 10 year old niece heard the smoke alarm and told her other aunt, who is visiting from California and staying with them, and Aunt J figured the alarm was malfunctioning, so thought it was no big deal. My niece went down the stairs toward the basement, and smelled the smoke and saw the flames coming from one of the downstairs rooms. She yelled for Aunt J, grabbed her phone and they ran out of the house.

My niece ran next door, because the neighbor is a fireman, but nobody was home so she called 911 and four fire trucks arrived to put out the fire.

Can you tell I'm just a little bit proud of my niece???? :) She did great. Poor thing, I can't imagine actually seeing the flames of a house fire. :(

#2 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 02:51 PM

Good for her. 10 year olds aren't babies and she showed great calm and presence of mind. Take her out to lunch or something, Aunty!

#3 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 05:06 PM

For sure! :D I don't know what to tell her, she's nervous about going back to school tomorrow because "Everybody will be around me, and ask lots of questions."

#4 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:48 PM

Your niece did well! Unfortunately, she will be answering the same questions over and over at school, to satisfy everyone's natural curiosity.

A house fire is a rough experience; my brother and sister-in-law went through it a few years ago. Even now, my brother will think of something like a book he'd like to re-read, and then will remember that it was lost in the fire. My thoughts are with your sister and her family.

#5 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:21 PM

Thank you, Gary.

My parents went out and bought new clothes for everyone, so I got the fun part....toys and puzzles! :) I took a 'goody bag' over to my parents house for the girls. Sierra is 10 and Sydney is 5. It was very hard to see them, it's starting to sink in that this is for real, that most of their posessions are smoke- and water damaged, and can't be saved. Sierra makes all sorts of things with Duck Tape, and she lost all of hers....so I bought her five brand-new rolls, in all different colors. Sydney LOVES puzzles, so I bought her some new ones, and some other stuff for both of them. Sierra kept crying, and Sydney clung to Sierra when she wasn't helping my dad put a puzzle together. Poor things. :(