MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Better Late Than Never

whoops

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 03 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

Sorry all, I never noticed this bit of the forum down here!

My name is Cristin, and I'm in Massachusetts. I am former Air Force, and initially went to college for Criminal Justice, but changed my mind about that career and I'm now heading into my second year of Nursing school. I spend most of my time reading, doing school work or playing with my children. I have three: one biological child, and two step-children, who are ages 10,11, and 12.

I have one Quaker Parrot, who I decided to get because my husband is permanently disabled. He was very lonely at home when the kids are in school. Happy was a 'bronco' bird who was terrified of people and completely unsocialized. I adopted her from a woman on Craigslist who claimed that her son was allergic to Happy, but considering how old Happy is (she laid eggs almost immediately when she came to us) and the wear on her cage, I think the woman was either trying to breed her or stuck her in a back bedroom and neglected her.

Happy's favorite toy is a chain of thick plastic links in flourescent colors. She plays with them when she is in her cage (usually only before bedtime.) She was on a seed diet when she came to us, but we put her on Roudybush (well, she chose it out of all the assorted foods we tried.)

My favorite story about Happy is how she learned to say "c'mere," from me calling my cats (and kids) and she learned to say "Pretty!" because I call her that all the time. She combined the two to say to me "C'mere, pretty!" and I started to cry like a big baby because it was so sweet to hear it from a formerly speechless, neglected, unsocialized bird.

We have had Happy about two years now. She is a totally different fid than when she first came home. I have owned parakeets and finches all my life, but I waited until now to get a parrot, as I wanted to be sure my life was stable before attempting to offer a life long home to such a long lived bird. I fell in love with parrots when I worked my first two jobs, as a pet store clerk and a veterinarian technician. I have actually been on the forum longer than two years, because as I was researching species, the QP came to my attention, and I wanted to read about others' experiences with them.

#2 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 04 May 2013 - 03:58 AM

Hi Cristin, wow, Happy really did well in finding such a wonderful family. I get such a warm feeling when I read stories such as yours. Good luck to you and your family.
  • Bene_Gesserit likes this

#3 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 05 May 2013 - 08:48 PM

Thanks Jan! I always get my pet either from rescues or as re-homes. Although there are great breeders out there, I like to give a pet a permanent home when I can. You should have seen my motley crew when I worked the pet store...unone who was unsaleable came home with me. There were lots of one legged/bald finches at my house!