MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Bedtime Pleading...how Do You Hande It?

talking advice

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 07:30 AM

So Happy (my QP) has been accumulating a vocabulary. It's limited, but enough to get by with. However, there's a new twist. She learned the word "C'mere!" years ago, but about a week ago...she guilted me into letting her stay up late.

She had gone into her cage and her happy hut, which she usually does. This tells me she's ready for bed, so I went over and closed her door after about ten minutes. The second I closed the door, she changed her mind. Came to the front of the cage and kept saying: "C'mere! C'mere, pretty pretty!" "Pretty? C'mere!"

I was not prepared for this emotional blackmail, and I melted like an ice cube in the Sahara and let her out for another half hour or so. I've been trying to put her to bed, but she is now trying this more often. I have been reassuring her by telling her she's a good bird, she's a pretty girl, it's 'night night' times (which I have said to her every night for two years when I cover her cage,) but now it's a five to ten minute minute process to both be kind to her AND get her to realize she's not coming back out.

Am I the only one whose QP is trying to play them this way? Is this toddler bedtime routine the norm?

#2 Erin1956

Erin1956

Adv Member

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:51 AM

What the stinkers won't do for a few more minutes of time. Tai fights it too. And, don't feel bad I melt too. Tai has associated up up at night as it is going to be bedtime. I mix it up for a few minutes here and there. He will physically try to keep me from putting him in his cage. So put your birdy armour on and stand your ground. Happy just wants a few more minutes as you, Think of it as a young kid wants to stay up a bit longer to watch the end of a scary movie.
  • Bene_Gesserit likes this

#3 Cmenke2

Cmenke2

Adv Member

• Members
  • 80 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 10:16 AM

Mine too makes me give in when Angel flies downstairs back to me if he doesn't feel like going to bed. Door is always open for him. So sometimes I cuddle him for a few minutes, pet and talk then other times walk him back upstairs, a few more cuddles, kisses and kisses to his tummy, and "go to bed, good girl, go to bed", sometimes it works sometimes not. Posted Image They just like wrapping you around their little finger all the time and sometimes you just have to be strong indeed. Posted Image

#4 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:35 PM

Shah's pretty good and lets me know when he wants to go to bed - which is usually early in the evening. Sometimes he starts screaming and yelling after I put him to bed so I get him out of the cage, sit quietly with him for a while so he can get a few more scritches and we have a quiet chat about things, then he is okay to go back to bed. Never takes more than 15 minutes.

#5 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:36 PM

Sheesh, I wish Clyde would try to batter me emotionally instead of physically. When he doesn't want to go to bed, he turns into a crazed raptor and attacks. None of this sweet stuff for him. So I get all the others tucked in and then turn off the light and wait a minute, and he makes this sound like, "Um, mom? I can't see! You're not gonna leave me HERE all night, are you?" and then I can pick him up and poke his feathered booty into his cage.

It's Benjy who's the real problem about bed. The light works on Clyde. Nothing works on Benjy. For a tiny blue budgie, he is more trouble than all the others. I pick him up, start for his cage and zoom, off he goes, squawking. I pick him up again, start for the cage (or try to fool him by cooing at him and pretending I just want to play) and zooooom ... off he goes. We go through this every night.

#6 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 06:55 AM

These are great answers, thank you all! This is a new behavior for Happy. Normally, we turn off the living room light at 9ish. (The television and a nightlight give enough ambient light for her to decide to go to her cage on her own and into her hut.) But no matter how long I wait, the second I close that door now, she's changing her mind and decides that since I'm standing close, it's time to be a heart melter.

I figured that since many parrots are capable of human toddler behaviors, this was just like the nighttime battle with my kiddo years back. "I'm thirsty...it's too dark/bright in here...wait, I have to go potty...now I'm hungry, etc" Anything to eke out that extra time. It's just so much harder to say no to this sweet talk from my fid!Posted Image

#7 juliehitchcock

juliehitchcock

Adv Member

• Members
  • 196 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 10:41 PM

lol. How cute. Yoshi plays this game at bed time. She likes to get on my finger and show me her pretties, (stretch out her wings) and I am suppose to say, "Show me your pretties. Pretty bird!." She will even say it if I don't, "Show me your pretties." Then she lifts up her wings. I will give her a kiss and tell her night night and try to put her in her cage and she will NOT get off of my finger. She crawls back up my arm. How long does this happen you say? Until she I can trick her into stepping off of me and into her house...

#8 caielygan

caielygan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:15 PM

ha! my guy does exactly the same thing! when we try to put him to bed some times he just takes off and flies to whoever isn't trying to cage him and then nuzzles us and makes these whisper sounds in our ear. Its SOOO cute and it has worked more then once.

He knows biting to get away at this point wont work, so he uses emotional blackmail. He really turns on the cuteness.
They are so smart.

#9 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 09:06 PM

Oooh, they really are. "How can I manipulate mommy/daddy into giving me more time?" Boy, does it work. She isn't doing it all the time, but when she does, most of the time it works. I can't help it, and I don't do it every time, just when it's early enough to give her a few more minutes.

She has also decided she is not a 'morning bird.' She likes to wake up slowly. I leave the blanket over the top of her cage, but if she wants to sleep later, she just slides back in her happy hut so she has shadow over her. Posted Image Then she sleeps another half an hour or so!

#10 Simiesmom

Simiesmom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

Luckily I don't have this problem. At 6:30 pm practically on the dot, Simie starts Acking, and when we ask if he wants to go good night he nods his head yes. He gets a bedtime snack, usually a piece of avicake and the covers go on. We do kisses and I don't hear from him again til morning. Sometimes in the summer he stays up until 7 or so but its because of the sunlight changes.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: talking, advice