MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Am Wanting To Make Some Toys..

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 amilysh

amilysh

Adv Member

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:22 AM

Hey,

Am wanting to make some toys...

Sure is expensive to start up huh.gif

Already need some new toys to rotate...

So wanted to ask if those materials are safe to make toys with?

Twine?

Buttons?

Wooden beads...saw some in Spotlight (sewing and craft shop)..wasnt sure what wood and if it had any coating on it?

Glass beads?

Any plastic beads are ok?

Any cotton ropes are ok?

Am aware to have any leather veg tanned...and to look up for the safe wood to use and unsprayed as well.

Sorry the list's pretty long! cool.gif

#2 Hana

Hana

Adv Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:35 AM

Since you're in Australia here is a shop I just purchased from based in Melbourne biggrin.gif I think it's only online though.

http://myparrotshop.com/

They have toys and toy parts.

#3 amilysh

amilysh

Adv Member

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:38 AM

Oh..thanks for that Hana!

The website looks great smile.gif

#4 Hana

Hana

Adv Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 02:41 AM

Oh also looking at your list I would be wary of glass beads incase your baby can break off shards and also remember about paints so if any beads have paint I would avoid it.

Yeah I can't wait till my order arrives this week (Why do I always purchase friday? I have to wait longer then.) to make some little toys for all the birds.

#5 Catsquakers

Catsquakers

Ruffles Momma

• Members
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 06:08 PM

Definately no glass beads. Plastic beads are great though.

#6 amilysh

amilysh

Adv Member

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 January 2009 - 10:14 PM

Hey,

More help over the materials I've listed pls!!!!

As I would like to get some things locally rather than online sometimes, so I can actually see the sizing and save money on the delivery fees of course.

#7 Hana

Hana

Adv Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:35 AM

Well actually one that website it has a pretty good long list about safe and dangerous materials from ropes to plastics to metals.

http://myparrotshop....s/info_112.html

Some of it may be specific to some of their toys but it will tell you to look out for certain things. Like making sure woods and rope materials are untreated. So that can help you decide on things to purchase locally biggrin.gif

#8 amilysh

amilysh

Adv Member

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 05:38 PM

Cool..

Think I'll better order online for the peace of mind knowing the materials are really bird safe!

Probably would take up alot of time looking around at few different shops anyway.

#9 Hana

Hana

Adv Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 06:34 PM

I justify it by saying I'd spend more than postage in transport and buying myself lunch laugh.gif

#10 Esther C

Esther C

Scampy1kat

• Members
  • 1,728 posts

Posted 14 January 2009 - 07:13 PM

I have really cheap foot toy. I Bought a bag of wooden clothes pegs at the $1.00 store. I put them through the bars all over. Pico just loves pulling them out and sends them crashing on the floor. He will also play with them holding them. I put them back then he pulls them all out again.

#11 amilysh

amilysh

Adv Member

• Members
  • 250 posts

Posted 16 January 2009 - 11:06 PM

Great!

Thanks for the wooden pegs idea..will try that smile.gif

#12 Andrea5699

Andrea5699

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 12:36 AM

I try and look around my house with a "birdie" eye and look for safe, easy play toys for Kiwi.

Some of his favorites are popsicle sticks, pieces of untreated pear tree wood, pop bottle lids, bbq skewers with the ends cut off.. on them you can string veggies etc. Sometimes we'll put a treat like a few seeds or whatever in a pice of tissue and twist it up between the abrs.. kiwi has to then " forage" for his treat.,... and LOVES doing this.. other ideas can include destroying plastic lids from fast food drink containers, plastic coffee stir sticks, kiwi ahs a pair of mr. potato head glasses he carries around..

geesh it can be endless! lol of and plastic straws.. hard and soft ones, plastic spoon.. anything he can chew,forage for, stick in the bars of his cage or otherwise destroy biggrin.gif happy birdie toy hunting!

All of Kiwi's toys listed above go in the extra food dish we got with his palytop on top of hs cage.. its his toy box and the very first place he toddles to when out of the cage..

#13 loriwoo

loriwoo

Adv Member

• Members
  • 702 posts

Posted 01 February 2009 - 10:37 AM

these are great suggestions, the skewers are a great idea.
T-Bird loves me to wrap his stuff in food wrappers from subway or other fast food places. I cut them in pieces and wrap up his treats so he can open them.
Brown paper bags also work better than wax paper or any other kind of paper.
Tissue paper absorbs moisture and sticks to the food. so it isn't good to use.
Lori

#14 zoemc

zoemc

Adv Member

• Members
  • 939 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 08:00 AM

Here is another Australian site I buy from ( www.parrotrescuecentre.com/prc_shop.cfm ) They are also a parrot rescue centre, so you are helping a good cause.

#15 Hana

Hana

Adv Member

• Members
  • 258 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 09:49 AM

Yeah I think I'm going to buy some foraging toys from their site because I've been eyeing them for a while. I just need to wait till someone wants me to make something for them so I have some money again laugh.gif

#16 spirery

spirery

Adv Member

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 June 2009 - 04:01 AM

Chester loves playing with paper containers from ice cream and yoghurts, just make sure you wash them out properly. he will roll them about the fllor and get in them and roll it around while hes in there like a hamster. he even throws them about.

#17 Mark T

Mark T

Adv Member

• Members
  • 154 posts

Posted 28 August 2009 - 05:52 PM

I read all of the replies and like alot of the ides that where posted. Am going to try all of them