MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Meet "gypsy"!

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 12:41 AM

Giving your legs a massage each night doesnt do them any harm either. Dislocated knee - ouch.

#22 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:18 AM

Yeah, the dislocated knee HURT, let me tell you! :) I don't even know how I did it, I was out for a walk, took a step (didn't roll my ankle or anything) and felt the absolute worst pain I've ever had in my life shoot through my right knee. Unfortunately, I have a really high pain threshold, and thought it was just a cramp that would go away after a while, so I kept walking (limping) and met my sister's family at the park about a half mile away from home. The knee started to feel a little better, so I didn't think anything of it until we were going our seperate ways and my kneecap slipped again, and I didn't say a word, just sat down on a bench for a minute and the pain subsided a bit...unfortunately we had continued walking, and when I stood up my knee slipped again and I had to limp/drag my bad leg a mile home. What normally takes me 15 minutes to walk took me an hour. It was absolutely excruciating, but I didn't even think about the pain...I just concentrated on taking one step at a time, getting that much closer to home. When I got to the driveway I collapsed against Zach's car and he saw me and came running out. When I tried to take another step I almost fell so he carried me inside.

I didn't know how badly I was hurt, so I took a bath, wrapped my knee with an Ace bandage and took some Ibuprofen. A few minutes later a friend called and wanted to go shooting at the gun range, so I drove to his house and off we went. LOL

Once I started the physical therapy I was absolutely determined to get better, so I pushed myself REALLY hard and was almost completely back to normal in three weeks. :)

On a different note, Gypsy had her hooves trimmed today, and she was AWESOME! I wasn't sure what she would do, some horses absolutely hate having that done. The more I get to know this pony, the more I love her. I know that she's really starting to like and trust me, too...she lost her halter in the field last night, and this morning I had to go find it before the trimmer arrived. Gypsy followed me all over that field this morning, it was wonderful! :) Then after Gypsy's feet were done I had to go get the other horse, because Lauren hadn't shown up yet. I got stuck in the mud (it's really deep by the pasture gate) and Gypsy came over to see what I was doing and I grabbed her halter and she helped me get over to Forte (the other horse). :) She's an absolute doll...I feel so incredibly blessed to have her. :)

As soon as I saw her pictures I knew without a doubt that she was supposed to be mine, and I was absolutely right. :)

#23 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:43 PM

It was so funny, the last time I took her from the field to the barn...she knew where she was going and arched her neck and literally pranced the whole way. I had gotten used to her plodding along right next to me, which she was still right next to me, head at my shoulder, but she was almost trotting sideways down the hill to the barn....she may have some spunk in her, after all! :)

I've gotten so many different opinions on what breed(s) she could be, that's rather amusing too. Welsh/Arab cross, Welsh/Quarter Horse cross, QH/Arab cross, QH (Quarter Pony, since she's legally a pony).

I emailed the Washington State Dept. of Agriculture, to try and find out who took her to auction, but that was a dead end. State entities can't disclose the name or address of people who sell at auctions. Frustrating.

#24 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 04:36 PM

If she was sold at auction then surely they would have to list the breed. Can the Ag Dept at least tell you that?
She sounds absolutely wonderful - what a wonderful ending. Maybe you should consider writing another article for the newspaper - that would also attract attention to your work in saving horses/ponies.
I cringed when I read your post about your knee - I cant believe you managed to get so far with the knee in that condition. My physio got a knee brace for me - it actually stops the knee cap from slipping - would something like that work for you?

#25 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 05:47 PM

I bought a brace after I dislocated it...when I finally had an MRI the orthopaedic surgeon was shocked that it hadn't happened before. The "cup" where the kneecap sits is almost completely flat. It's shaped like a plate rather than a pasta bowl (that's the easiest way to describe it).

I wish I could write another article, but my family isn't exactly supportive of my having Gypsy. Zach does his best to ignore the fact that I have her, and when I told my parents the first thing out of my mom's mouth was "This is TEMPORARY. You'll need to find her a new home ASAP."

#26 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 09:40 PM

Just ignore your mum. My mother would always say "not another animal" and then would go on to say that I wasnt able to look after them properly as I worked, blah, blah, blah. It is not about parents - it is about what you can offer an animal in need if you are able to do so. You do have one very understanding husband. I remember years ago when my sister said that a kitten "followed" her home. My father said "if that animal stays, then I am going". The kitten stayed - and so did dad :lol:

#27 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:02 PM

I have the very best husband in the world. :) He said "I know this means a lot to you, so we'll figure it out. I don't know how, but we will."

Seriously, NO MORE!! No more neighbors saying "Can you come get this bird???" and no more Craigslist rescues, and no more animals. :D

We said no to a friend who wanted us to take her two snakes because they won't live in her car (she's about to be homeless because of a disability). :( The snakes are a king snake and a rat snake.

I thought I wanted a corn snake, but heck, I couldn't even feed Mickey a live worm (Zach had to offer it, Mickey refused but the fish loved it!)! How in the world would I be able to feed a snake a dead mouse? Nope, not happening. Glad I found that out before Zach gave in and I got a corn snake. :)

#28 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 03:34 AM

I love corn snakes. They are illegal here but they are around in private collections. As I used to have pet rats and mice, I cannot have snakes as I just couldnt feed them the food they need.
I am just seeing the devastation of Sandy on the tele. My heart goes out to all those people who have been affected.

#29 Birdysue

Birdysue

Adv Member

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 04:04 PM

I have the very best husband in the world. :) He said "I know this means a lot to you, so we'll figure it out. I don't know how, but we will."

Seriously, NO MORE!! No more neighbors saying "Can you come get this bird???" and no more Craigslist rescues, and no more animals. :D

We said no to a friend who wanted us to take her two snakes because they won't live in her car (she's about to be homeless because of a disability). :( The snakes are a king snake and a rat snake.

I thought I wanted a corn snake, but heck, I couldn't even feed Mickey a live worm (Zach had to offer it, Mickey refused but the fish loved it!)! How in the world would I be able to feed a snake a dead mouse? Nope, not happening. Glad I found that out before Zach gave in and I got a corn snake. :)

Dani,, I suppose your mom is afraid you will get hurt. I broke my ribs this year on a fall from Dottie and it was my fault not Dotties.
And really they can be expensive but I buy local hay each year and buy enough to last all winter, i do their shots myself and so its only when they need their teeth done or get sick which really hasn't happened very much. So for me on average its not bad. People who don't love horses don't understand how really moving it is to have that relationship that we have with our horses. There isn't anything else like it. So glad you get to experience this again.. Sue

#30 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 30 October 2012 - 06:23 PM

Awww, thank you Sue. :) And you're absolutely right, I'm the only horse person in my family, nobody else "gets" it. LOL

#31 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:51 AM

What's the latest news on Gypsy?

#32 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

You're a grown up and you don't have to do what your mom says anymore. LOL If you think Gypsy needs you, and you need her, then you'll find a way.

#33 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:27 PM

No, but you know the saying "If Mama isn't happy, nobody is"? It's very true in my family. :)

And Gypsy is doing great, I felt terrible two nights ago, because I didn't put her blanket on and the temp went down to 30 (I know, I know....it's better not to blanket, but her buddy had hers on so I felt bad)....so yesterday I dragged Zach with me to put hers on, and it rained, but the temperature didn't get that cold.....of course....LOL

#34 Birdysue

Birdysue

Adv Member

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:14 PM

Dani,, I would love to go riding with you some day.. Or just meet for coffee and talk about the ponies... Love Sue

#35 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 07:05 PM

Great news, Gypsy had her veterinary exam and float today, and she is sound and healthy! A float is where the vet files off the sharp points on their teeth. The vet says she is right around 7-8 years old, and definitely and Arab cross. At the auction she was said to be a Welsh cross, so I'm going with Welsh/Arab. :)

She was a very good patient, once she was sedated (she doesn't tie very well and threw a couple of minor fits when the doc tried to restrain her before the drugs kicked in).

Overall though, she did great and I couldn't be happier!!! :D