MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

What Do You Guys Think?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 BirdyLola

BirdyLola

Adv Member

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

Well it's been about a monthand a half since I first got Lola. I'm starting to really understand whatshe likes and boy does she love the wooden chew toys for her to destroy.Posted Image Theonly problem is, I am not sure I have enough in her cage and even though shespends most of her time out of the cage with me I still want her to have enoughactivity and things to preoccupy herself when I can't have her out. Thepictures aren't the best but they are okay. I would love tohear any suggestions you guys have on what I should add or take out,thanks Posted Image

Attached File  IMG_0719.JPG   1.31MB   23 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0723.JPG   1.41MB   15 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0724.JPG   1.44MB   7 downloads

Attached File  IMG_0725.JPG   1.44MB   1 downloads

#2 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:40 PM

A ladder? Those vertical bars are hard to climb up and down and Quakers love to climb. Horizontal bars are much better. Maybe some shreddable toys? I have one bird who loves to destroy those, one who adores bells and ignores toys that don't make noise, one who loves beads and cotton rope ...

#3 BirdyLola

BirdyLola

Adv Member

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 06:46 PM

I will get her a ladder and see what she thinks of that. The toy in the front left corner she chews and destroys and there is a paper shreddable toy in the back you probably can't see. Any suggestions on how to introduce her to new things toys and perches because she always freaks and stays away from them for a week or two before even looking at them lol. And thank you very much for your ideas Posted Image

#4 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:09 PM

Try leaving it where she can see it but not putting it into the cage until she's had a couple of days to look it over. Then show it to her and play with it yourself before you put it in. Last new toy I bought for Clyde never made it into the cage. He yanked it out of my hand and refused to let me put it in at all. It ended up hanging on the outside, and I had to do that when he wasn't looking. He really liked that one, and that's VERY unusual for him.

#5 BirdyLola

BirdyLola

Adv Member

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

Thanks, best advice I've had so far. I tend to get conflicting things to do but this site tends to have the best by far that actually works (most of the time when Lola is in a cooperating mood). So I'll get her a ladder tomorrow and leave it out for her to see. Thanks again Posted Image

#6 Birdysue

Birdysue

Adv Member

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 29 February 2012 - 11:53 AM

So Gary from this forum sent my Quaker some little wooden dowels..Thin enough that she can pick them up .. She loves to build things with them.. Every few days I take them out and then put them back in a stack again and she builds something new.

#7 jaytee

jaytee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:29 AM

Rope perches are a wonderful thing! :) You can manipulate them into many shapes, and they can be placed in, and out of the cage. Some ladders are made in the form of a rope ladder.

Look at the cage, and think of perches, ladders, and swings as a habitrail. Right now, there are no perches down low, and there are no paths, get creative. Toss in a toy here, and there, something to snuggle against, maybe, a happy hut. Perches can be mounted outside the cage, as well as in. ;)

Posted Image

Edited by jaytee, 01 March 2012 - 12:30 AM.

#8 BirdyLola

BirdyLola

Adv Member

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

Thanks the picture really helps give me an idea of how to set up the cage for her. Posted Image

#9 LaurieA

LaurieA

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 13 July 2012 - 08:29 PM

Rope perches are a wonderful thing! :) You can manipulate them into many shapes, and they can be placed in, and out of the cage. Some ladders are made in the form of a rope ladder.

Look at the cage, and think of perches, ladders, and swings as a habitrail. Right now, there are no perches down low, and there are no paths, get creative. Toss in a toy here, and there, something to snuggle against, maybe, a happy hut. Perches can be mounted outside the cage, as well as in. ;)

Posted Image

I LOVE Smooches' cage! I didn't realize it had a plexiglass front!

#10 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:03 PM

OMG, Jaytee!!! I want to play in that cage, it's awesome!!! Can we say spoiled Smooches?????? LOL :)

#11 Steven W.

Steven W.

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 11:56 AM

For those Rope Perches, I found if you go to PetSmart / Petco and go to the DOG section, look for the rope "tug of war" toys. I've bought one for $5 bucks and it unwinds to about 6 feet! Then, string it through the cage at different angles. I let the excess hang outside the cage and down to the floor so when my bird wants to climb back up, she can.

Hope this helps!
Steven W.

#12 pickledprose

pickledprose

Adv Member

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 12:13 PM

Steven that is brilliant! I've been wanting rope perches for a while but they are so expensive.

#13 breemom

breemom

Becky

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 08:50 PM

I LOVE Smooches' cage! I didn't realize it had a plexiglass front!

I love your cage set up :wub: