MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Greta's Eggs

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:00 PM

Okay, nothing is working. Longer nights. Less food. Blocking her access to the places she sees as potential nests. But she keeps finding new ones. The latest is behind a curtain, on the floor. She's laid two eggs there in the last couple of days and she hides back there sitting on them. I retrieve them, and her, and put them in her cage but other than turning them now and again, she abandons them after that and before you know it, she's got ANOTHER egg. All I can think of at this point is letting her stay behind the curtain with her egg and sit on it until she gives up on her own. That would mean leaving a light on so she could see enough to not panic when I put the others to bed. I'm worried about her and the effect of all these eggs, and I'm also worried about the eggs. Tonight's and last night's had a little dark spot at one end when I candled them. Does that mean they're fertile and when she abandons them, the chicks are dying of cold and neglect? What do I DO?

#2 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:15 PM

It's times like this (and many other situations) that I want Connie back!!!  She knew all the answers....

#3 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:30 PM

I just asked Andie, Connie's daughter.  Hopefully she can help.  If not, she said that Carrie~Anne used to raise them, so she can help. :)

#4 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:48 PM

Response from Andie:

Wow, she's determined! That would be a Carrie Anne question. Everything I would suggest is being done. As to being fertile, possibly, but non-fertilized eggs can have blood spots too. If she sets on it around days 3-5 you can see veins.

#5 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:52 PM

Dani, I think it's great that you go above and beyond to seek out an answer for Greta! Very cool. B)

Edited by Cindi&Jeriel, 05 December 2013 - 11:52 PM.

#6 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 05 December 2013 - 11:59 PM

Aww, thanks Cindi.  I try really hard to answer everyone's questions, but I don't know everything.  So it's a good way for me to learn, too.

I'm talking to Carrie~Anne right now.

#7 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:09 AM

Okay, here goes.  This is from Carrie~Anne.

Oh boy. If she doesn't want to have chicks, she needs to addle (shake) the eggs. Then replace them back. I'd also suggest that she keep the female and eggs in the females cage and leave her in there. It's common for females not to sit on the eggs until the 3rd or 4th one is laid. But this is going to keep happening unless she keeps the female away from the males. I wouldn't worry about lighting right now, or diet. Since she is already in the laying process, she most likely won't stop until she's reached her clutch size (that depends on each bird). It may take 4 to 6 weeks before she completely abandons them.

Make sure she has access to lots of calcium. Even if it means scraping some cuttlebone over her food.

No baths for a while either. Hopefully, she'll stop laying after the next few eggs. But again, this will be a continuous cycle unless the males are kept separated. Cockatiels are very prolific birds...they like sex...lol!

I used to know a lady who had a bird safe apartment. Her Cockatiels would fly freely as they wished. It was very cool, but she did have issues with pairs breeding. She did raise a few clutches. But then she started addling the eggs that were laid.

Edited by msdani1981, 06 December 2013 - 01:09 AM.

#8 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:34 AM

I don't mind if the eggs hatch. I don't think they're fertile or that they're going to hatch because she's not sitting on them after I move them into her cage. And I don't think the boys are responsible. They're a bonded pair and they don't have any interest in Greta at all. She has six regular sized eggs now and during this process, she laid two miniatures as well, but I finally tossed those. All six are in her cage on a washcloth on the floor. This has been going on now for probably a month at least, but in the last couple of days, she's laid two eggs and the one before that was less than a week ago. I thought I'd leave her in her cage while I'm at work tomorrow and let her out when I get home in the hope that she'd sit on the eggs instead of going behind the curtain and laying a new one. What I really need to figure out is how to stop her from laying eggs because it's hard on her little body. She is making extensive use of the calcium block. She chews on it every day.

#9 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:56 AM

Rebel is like a battery cockatiel.  No sooner does she get off the nest than Pippin is having his wicked way with her.  So back she goes to the nest to lay more eggs.  I give her liquid calcium in the water to keep the eggs in good condition as she has laid a few soft eggs plus every so often plus she has to go to the vet as she lays a rather large egg that gets stuck (about once every 12 months).  Thought that what was happening a few days ago but after speaking to the vet and telling him I would drop her over in the morning, she laid it during the night.  I would love to separate them but they get so stressed out when they are not together.  She does have a nest box as she got quite stressed laying eggs in the open.  There's not much you can do about it if she is laying.  I love it when Rebel gets off the nest as none of the eggs have hatched (thanks to me) and Pippin harasses her to go back in and she wont - she heads to the feeding stations and spend the whole day eating.

#10 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:13 AM

Carrie Anne must have been a wonderful lady. I can tell she is sorely missed.

I can't help with this at all but I feel for poor Greta and Rebel and all the other girl cockatiels.

#11 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

Here's what I'm going to try today. Poor Greta was so agitated in her cage and so worried about her egg behind the curtain all alone, that I let her out and she went straight over there, and I gathered up all the eggs and put them behind the curtain. Now she and they are all back there and she attacked my foot because I was too close to her "nest," but I showed her the eggs and put them far enough back there to be where last night's egg was, and I'm going to just let her stay back there as long as she wants, even overnight. I think it's too cold there, next to the outside wall and on the concrete floor, but if she's decided that's where she wants her nest, she's not going to tend the eggs in her cage. Fertile or not, the only way to keep her from laying more and more, I think, is to leave her and her eggs in the place she wants them to be.

#12 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 12:31 PM

I hope this works for you and Greta! Good luck!

#13 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 03:24 PM

If last night's egg is fertile, it was only un-sat-upon overnight and might still make it if she'll sit on it now. I think it's too late for any of the others. I handled them all very gently and didn't shake them up or anything, and I candled them and didn't think any were fertile, but she's SO determined to nest and lay eggs that I'm doubting my own judgment on whether they're fertile now. We'll just let her do whatever she likes and wait and see. If she does manage to hatch an egg, I will be VERY surprised, but it also might be fun to have a brand new baby around. I didn't get any of mine as babies. Freddie was 8 weeks old when he came along but already fully feathered and weaned. 

#14 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

Connie passed away in March, after a long battle with breast cancer.  She was a moderator here for a very long time, and she is sorely missed.  Love you, Connie.  Her daughter, Andie, is one of the nicest women ever...she got that trait from her mom. :)

Carrie~Anne was another moderator here, and I think her life just got too busy to continue.  We still chat on Facebook, and she is a great resource.

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#15 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 10:43 PM

Greta and her eggs are behind the curtain and she's setting them. She came out long enough to attack my foot and let me pick her up and take her to her cage for a drink and a snack, and then she went back to them. She's moved them off the washcloth and has them way back in the darkest spot. I put a dish of food and one of water on the floor nearby so she could pop out for a drink and something to eat without having to get very far from the eggs. Even with her setting them, they're on cold concrete and I can't imagine they'll survive if they ARE fertile, which I doubt, but maybe letting her do this will make her stop laying and just tend the ones she has, and after a while she'll realize they're not going to hatch and give up. I left a low-watt lamp on and put a nightlight at the other end of the room so she can see to get to her cage, if she wants to, and tucked in the others and covered their cages. Benjy won't shut up and go to sleep if there's any light, so he's still chirping and talking down there, but I think the others will go to sleep. I'm going to try this for a few days and see if it helps.

#16 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 11:05 PM

Good luck!

#17 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:15 AM

She came out a few minutes ago and realized she'd missed bedtime and now she's agitated about that. I showed her the food and water and she started eating, so I left her doing that, but I'm trying to decide now if I ought to put her to bed after all.

#18 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:13 PM

I am lucky in that every morning and afternoon, Pippin stuffs his face and then goes and sits on the eggs while Rebel comes out and has something to eat.  She is looking haggard as she does the majority of egg sitting.  I sometimes take the eggs away for  a day and she spends the time eating.  Then I put them back in so she doesn't start laying anymore.

#19 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 09:52 PM

I checked Greta again around 11 last night and she had come out and was standing in the floor looking confused and unhappy, so I picked her up and took her to her cage and she went right in and went to bed. Apparently she doesn't work nights. LOL She went back to the eggs after her breakfast this morning.

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this