MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

What Is A Healthy Amount Of Sugar/ Sodium

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rednecksdoitbest

rednecksdoitbest

Adv Member

• Members
  • 438 posts

Posted 04 August 2007 - 01:29 PM

I was reading through the bird recipies and alot of them were using Jiffy Corn muffin mix
when i checked the side of the box where it has the Nutrion facts it says Sodium ( which if i remember right is Salt) 340MG Sugar: 7g

But i've got several differnt packs of Muffin mixes ( like from ginger evens/ martha white and even pilsbury) and I was looking at thier nutrion facts
on a pack of

Martha White Wildberry ( artifical blueberr & Strawberry flavor) the sodium is onl 150mg and sugar is 13g

on a ginger evens blueberry muffin mix it has Sodium 300mg Sugar 14g
on a strawberry miffin mix (same brand name) its sodium 290mg Sugar:15G

on the pilsbury Cinnamon muffin mix it says
sodium 170mg sugar15 g

So what is a Safe Sodium Mg and Sugar grams?
we're planning on adding veggies, or fruits, or both Not sure yet, we've just been reading about differnt Recipies

any assitance would be appriciated

#2 Tantrix

Tantrix

Adv Member

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 01:13 PM

For me personnally I try not to use premixed products at all for my fids. This is because most of them contain preservitives like salt or MSG etc. I prefer to make things from scratch. Check this out for some great recipes. Featherd Friends Aviary

Everything I use in the recipes is either sugar free, salt free or both. I suggest you use this practice also, but the choice is yours.

Even though it does not say so in the recipes for birdie bread I would lighty grease the pan you are using. I personally do nit use a cake pan or bread tin to make my birdy bread...I prefer to just spoon a tablespoon of the dough onto a cookie sheet and adjust the cooking tome accordingly. This make serving sized birdie bread. I keep enough out for two days (regrigerated of course) and the rest in a freezer bag in the freezer. A single batch of birdy bread should last for 4 or 5 days in the fridge and 6 weeks in the freezer.

Enjoy.

#3 Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne

"The Sound of Birds Stops The Noise In My Mind"

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 16 March 2008 - 06:18 PM

I sometimes think we over analyze a bit too much biggrin.gif I know we're concerned about our birds' health, but let's face it....they do get salt/sugar in the wild as well, and birdie bread should be fed as a treat anyways, not the main part of the diet. I don't see any problems with using the Jiffy corn muffin mix. When you take into consideration, all the other good stuff you are putting in it, the salt/sugar content becomes very small.

#4 Andrča W.

Andrča W.

QP Lover

• Members
  • 152 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 05:33 PM

I don't know about you, but I prefer knowing that my Birdie Bread doesn't have oil, sugar, anything with a large amount of added Sodium in it. Jiffy Corn Mix is a prime example. It's much better to use plain corn meal instead of the prepackaged stuff. After all one comes, in a bag, the other in a box they are both easy-to-use!

Not to mention --- regular corn meal doesn't have all those human-levels of "nutrients". Otherwise known as sugar, or salt neither we, nor our birds need!

... Still on the hunt for the Plain Birdie Bread Recipe without all of that human-"grade" junk in it....

I've narrowed it down to --- Water, Unsweetened Applesauce, Whole Eggs, Organic Corn Meal, Whole Wheat Flour, Baking Powder, Hulled Millet --- I think it had some natural honey too for a sweetener that wasn't artificial, and organic peanut butter was optional or something...

Now if only I can find the actual recipe, or remember the amounts... *Sigh*

#5 Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne

"The Sound of Birds Stops The Noise In My Mind"

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 23 November 2009 - 06:10 PM

Actually, us humans, and our birds, do need a certain amount of sodium in our diet. However, with a proper diet, we do get enough of it from natural foods.

This is a very old thread, and since it was posted, I have moved towards non-prepackaged foods simply because of my own medical condition. However, I still stand by my original post. Those birdie bread mixes should only be given as a treat and not a main diet staple. In moderation, there is nothing wrong with using the pre-packaged stuff (as I know a lot of members do use it).

Good luck with finding a recipe. smile.gif