MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Birdie Bread Recipe No Good?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 BeakerQP

BeakerQP

Adv Member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 10:54 PM

Everyone, no, my precious boys are all right... as far as I can tell....

I got this one birdie bread recipe out of a parrot book I own. One of the ingredients is baby-grade dry cereal. When I was at the supermarket, Gerber had two varieties of organic baby cereal. I didn't think much about it being fortified with vitamins and iron and such.

I've made two batches of birdie bread using this iron-fortified baby cereal, about a cup (dry) per batch. My boys, Beaker (QP) and Marcus (CAG), just adore birdie bread and probably would eat nothing but if they could... so now I'm freaking out with the sudden thought that I've been over-dosing them on iron!!!

At this stage, I've been feeding them between 3-4 times a day.

Breakfast: warm birdie bread
Early afternoon: cooked grains/beans/pasta/veggies (if they eat it, half the time the dog gets it after they're done staring at it!)
Dinner: more birdie bread with fruit or some sort of squash/grains/fruit thing I whip up
Prior to bed: pellets and seed mix to keep overnight if they get the munchies

So now I'm thinking I'll hold off on giving them any of the Gerber-baby-cereal-tainted birdie bread for a while in the hopes that the iron thing will not become an issue. Or is there something else I should do? Or am I being completely paranoid right now?

Oh, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated....

#2 Casey's Mom

Casey's Mom

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,358 posts

Posted 12 November 2010 - 11:25 PM

That's a lot of birdy bread, lol. I wouldn't feed that much, especially if it has the fortified cereal in it ;) I'm sure a little bit of the cereal isn't going to harm them but I wouldn't make it a habit as they really are fortified with a lot of iron etc. and babies are a lot bigger than a teenie Quaker. :) If you want to offer more fresh foods compared to pellets try cooking different grains etc. as they are usually well accepted, and healthy too :D

Are the pellets available all day too?

#3 BeakerQP

BeakerQP

Adv Member

• Members
  • 56 posts

Posted 13 November 2010 - 11:02 PM

That's a lot of birdy bread, lol. I wouldn't feed that much, especially if it has the fortified cereal in it ;) I'm sure a little bit of the cereal isn't going to harm them but I wouldn't make it a habit as they really are fortified with a lot of iron etc. and babies are a lot bigger than a teenie Quaker. :) If you want to offer more fresh foods compared to pellets try cooking different grains etc. as they are usually well accepted, and healthy too :D

Are the pellets available all day too?

Well, after I freaked out last night, around midnight I whipped up a batch of birdie bread without the cereal in it. Really, all I used was organic corn flour, an egg, a couple pinches of baking powder, and a ton of cooked squash and brown rice and veggies and strawberries mixed with some apple juice. It came out smelling pretty good, and they seemed to like it well enough for breakfast this morning. :)

Marcus is very picky anymore with what he eats, even if I try and eat good things in front of him he doesn't often want it. At this point, the pellets are not available all day, but I peek in on the boys and their bowls numerous times to make sure they have some food. If Marcus has thrown out all the grains and lentils and fruit onto the bottom of his cage--he gets some birdie bread or some seeds and pellets until I feed Beaker again, too. So he has food available to him, he just doesn't want to eat most of it. :(

#4 Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne

"The Sound of Birds Stops The Noise In My Mind"

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 14 November 2010 - 12:58 AM

Pellets should be available all day long. It should be the staple of their diet. It is very difficult to provide a bird with all the nutrition its body needs with fresh foods alone. Most humans can't even do that with their own diet ;) So having pellets available 24/7 enables the bird to eat when it wants, and have a good source of all nutrients.