MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Charlie, Oscar And I Are Building A Nest!

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:10 PM

For the past few days Charlie and Oscar have acted like they needed a project....they've been moving toys around and rearranging things....

It occurred to me that they may have the instinct and the desire to build nests, but because they weren't raised in a Quaker Family Unit, they may not have learned the SKILLS to build nests.

So, as their surrogate mother, I decided it was my job to help them develop their nest building skills. I gathered up an assortment of sticks, twigs and vines and piled them on top of the cage. Then I started *building* a nest by weaving sticks and vines through the bars of the cage, describing what I was doing as I went along.

They watched and listened very intently, and being Quakers, it took them about fifteen seconds to develop an opinion about what I was doing wrong. They both started criticizing my work and advising me on how to do it THE RIGHT WAY. Within a couple of minutes, Charlie had taken the stick out of my hand and was showing me how to do it, and Oscar was pulling one of the twigs out of my nest so he could rearrange it.

When I left to come to work this evening, they were both busy collaborating on design elements on The Quaker Nest Project. They didn't even notice when I left.

I'm curious to see how a Quaker nest built by a committee will turn out. tongue.png tongue.png tongue.png

• Jan Cullen, Allee, Cindi&Jeriel and 1 other like this

#2 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:36 PM

We need to see a picture of the finished product!!!

#3 Connie_Coco

Connie_Coco

Adv Member

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:20 PM

This is too cute! Picture please !

#4 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 10:15 AM

So THAT'S where I went wrong! Jade loves strings and she ties them in elaborate knots (I'm not exaggerating) and weaves them in and out among her perches and toys, so long ago I bought her a package of drinking straws and some barbecue skewers (I cut the points off) and left a pile for her, which she ignored steadfastly until I gave up and removed them. I should have started building a nest so she could take over and do it "right." The same rules that apply when I have a project I want Hubby to do but I can't get him started. LOL I start it myself and he feels compelled to take it away from me and do it himself because I'm doing it wrong.

• Allee and Sharyn and Mr Piggy like this

#5 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:18 AM

What a cute idea, Lindee, and apparently Charlie and Oscar think so too.

#6 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 04:18 PM

Well, today there is a big pile of sticks and twigs and rope in the back corner of the cage. It's the opposite corner from where I started the nest, so apparently I chose the wrong location.

And the pile of sticks looks NOTHING like a nest, but they are both very busy working on it, and discussing various aspects. They took a brief break long enough to eat a little lunch (I feel like I should get them tiny little hardhats and lunchpails! tongue.png ), but then got right back to work.

I have NO idea what they're up to, but they seem to be enjoying themselves, and working on their plan.

I'm kicking around ideas for tiny little curtains, if they ever get around to making a window....laugh.png

And Louie couldn't care less about building a nest. She's just glad to have the bathtub all to herself, and she's taking baths about every 15 minutes, just because she doesn't have to share the tub!

• Allee, Cindi&Jeriel and Sharyn and Mr Piggy like this

#7 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 08:36 AM

Hard hats and lunch pails, that's a funny visual! Zeke and Popeye have also been construction workers for about a month now, each with their own project. I'm trying to keep them supplied with building materials. :) Harry isn't interested in building but she attacked her coffee filter, killed it, followed it to the floor of her cage, stomped it, bit it and screamed at it. The coffee filter cobra is no longer a threat.

#8 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:51 PM

Today Charlie has appointed himself Chairman of the Building Committee, and he is bossing Oscar and me around. If one of us puts a stick in the nest, he runs over and wiggles it, just to make sure it's in the "right" way.

Oh, and he has added a food cup, a knotted rope, and two bells to the pile of sticks, which I'm still pretending is a *nest*. I'm not sure if he is a builder or a hoarder. He's trying to pull dog toys up into the nest, but they're too heavy for him to pull all the way up into the cage, so he's just shoving them around on the floor and yelling at them for not cooperating.

If this keeps up, I may see if the t.v. show "Hoarders" would like to come interview Charlie. ohmy.png

Edited by LindeeV, 09 May 2014 - 04:51 PM.

• Sharyn and Mr Piggy likes this

#9 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:56 PM

Lindee, this is hilarious. I think you need to write a book with a new chapter daily