MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Bringing A Foster Bird Into My Home

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:50 AM

So, it looks like I'm either going to get a budgie or a lovebird as a foster due to the horrible hoarding case in the Tampa area a few weeks ago. These parrots were all rescued by the same rescue that I adopted Mr P from. I offered to foster a smaller bird as the rescue is overwhelmed, they took in approx 50 birds in this hoarding case. All the birds were living in absolutely miserable conditions, it was even on our local news here. Just broke my heart.

Anyway, I know a lot of you have other types of birds in addition to quakers. I will either wind up with a budgie or a lovebird. More than likely neither of these will be tame as most of the birds rescued were used or going to be used for breeding purposes. I am unsure if I will be getting a bonded pair or a single bird.I have no experience when it comes to a lovebird. Anyone out there actually tame a lovebird? I am assuming that trying to tame a bonded pair of lovebirds is pretty hopeless? I really have no idea how old any of these guys might be.

The only real hope I have of having this bird as a foster and not a permanent resident is to tame it enough that someone will want it as a pet. I am pretty sure budgies are not "tameable" after a certain age, not sure about lovebirds.

I just hope I am doing the right thing. I do not want to weird Mr P out anymore than he already is normally, but I just can't not help these poor hoarded guys.

Suggestions about taming a lovebird? Or bringing a new bird home? I know to quarrantine for a month ( i have a spare room) and I do not plan on letting Mr P or the new guy have any direct contact such as play on the same cage or sit together on the same playstand. I do not want Mr P and the new bird accidently bonding as the new guy is supposed to be foster, not a keeper :)

Any advice on how to do this without freaking out Mr P would be welcome. I don't have the new guy yet, but I should be getting him in the next few weeks, after paperwork is filled out.

Also, if there is anyone else on this forum that lives in Florida and  would be interested in being a foster parent, please go to the Florida Parrot Rescue's website and fill out an application.

#2 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:27 PM

Sharyn, for once I'm happy I'm not in Florida! I would be in so much trouble. Such a sad story.

Far be it for me to attempt to predict the behavior of a quaker but from my personal experience, I was amazed at how easily Harry accepted her new flock members. The only bird she showed aggression to was Zeke, the male quaker. After the first few days of being out together they seemed to get their issues resolved. They both like the cockatiel and the three of them play together every day. Harry's behavior toward me didn't change, in fact she is less aggressive and friendlier to other people, she also seems much calmer and happier.

I didn't quarantine the cockatoo and the quaker that came together, I did quarantine the parakeets and the cockatiel. The birds called back and forth to each other for thirty days before they shared a room.

I've read so much about lovebirds. They are fascinating little birds. I love my parakeets too, they are a bonded pair so they are happy to be left alone but they also like human attention.

I'm so happy you and Mr. P. are helping these little birds by sharing your home. I wish all of you the best.
  • Sharyn and Mr Piggy likes this

#3 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:36 PM

Thank you. I will quarrantine whatever I get due to the horrible horrible living conditions they were in previously. Gosh, it just broke my heart to see these guys on the news, living in filth, packed into cages. I tear up thinking about it :(

I am also unsure if these guys have been vetted yet, I think they have been, again, due to their living conditions and the risk of bringing infection to other healthy birds.

I spoke to the foster coordinator earlier today. Once I take the foster tutorial which is mandatory and they receive my signed foster contract in the us postal mail, I will be good to go. It also turns out that the coordinator will be at the bird show I plan on attending on Sunday so we are going to try to meet up.

Again, I just hope I am doing the right thing and fostering these guys doesnt hurt my relationship with Mr P.

Allee, I've been meaning to ask you, how did Harry get her name? Thanks for the well wishes, Im sure I'll be posting updates here :)

• Allee likes this

#4 Oteyspeople

Oteyspeople

Adv Member

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:23 PM

Sharyn, we adopted our lovebird when she was 18 months old. Fortunately, she came from a very good home, so there was no problem with quarantine. But in your situation, I would definitely keep the new bird in a separate place.

As for taming a lovebird, it really depends on what you want it to do. Lovey is fairly sociable, but won't step up or accept being held. She will take a treat from my hand.

She wasn't "tamed" in her former home, either. They had clipped her wings, so she spent most of the day climbing around on the cage she shared with a conure. That wasn't working out, so they decided to let her go.

Now, her wings have grown out, she & the 2 quakers have the run of the bedroom, & she's definitely the queen of the flock. The boys have absolutely no say in anything. Of course, right now she's busy with her (so far) 5 eggs, so they're getting a little peace.

If you get a choice, go for the lovebird. Soooo much personality. Quaker spirit in a smaller body.

• Allee and Sharyn and Mr Piggy like this

#5 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 03:40 PM

Since this is supposed to be a "foster" not another adoption (and I say that loosely because I am fully prepared to foster the new bird for life if necessary), I would say the goal would be to get it social enough that someone would want to adopt it and give it a permament home.

Now, if I wind up with a bonded pair, that changes things totally.

I will just have to wait and see. I have volenteered to open my home to a bird or pair in need so I am guessing they will give me whatever needs a home at the time.

I actually happen to really love budgies too and have had them growing up so I could argue this either way. Getting a lovebird is a new experience for me and I think each breed of bird has something we can learn from. The flip side of this is I'm really comfortable with the care of a budgie.

Through this all, I just don't want to upset Mr P! We have a super week this week, he is purring, accepting cuddles and leaning into my hand again like he loves me :)

• Allee likes this

#6 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 06:16 PM

I made little or no attempt at taming Benjy until he was almost 3, because he and Bonnie shared a huge cage and seemed happy enough with each other's company. But when we moved into this house and all the others were out of their cages all day long, I started to feel guilty. Benjy may be a unique case, but it took about three days. LOL I started putting my hand in the cage and offering treats from my hand and so on and suddenly one day he hopped onto my hand and there he's been every minute I'll let him sit there ever since.

• Allee likes this

#7 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 08:00 AM

Sharyn, I read the article and saw the photos of that horrific hoarding case. I tested up too. Whatever bird or birds you foster or adopt certainly need help.

I didn't know anything about Harry's life before I brought her home, not even her name. She said, 'be a good boy' constantly, she was in a tiny cage and I was told 'he' was mean and wouldn't make a good pet'. I bought a new cage and brought him home. He let himself out of the cage, flew straight to my shoulder and stuck there like super glue, cussing and biting. We called him Harry for Houdini. We were going to have her DNA tested at her vet appointment but she laid an egg before her visit, by then everyone agreed her name was Harry. :)
  • Cindi&Jeriel and Sharyn and Mr Piggy like this

#8 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 10:12 AM

Lol I understand. I had a pet budgie I got as a baby. I named her Fred, thinking she was a he. At that age, it was hard to tell by looking at the cere since the full color wasnt in. After about 6 months, it became pretty clear that HE was actually a SHE so we continued to call her Fred, just telling everyone her name was Fredricka :)

I figured Harry was something similar.

I am probably going to have to name the foster bird, I don't think any of these guys had names, just breeding pair 1, breeding pair 2, potential breeder 1, etc. If I get a pair of lovebirds, I will try to think of something cute, some famous male/female pair. I'm leaning towards Harry and Ginny since Dobbie got changed to Mr P and I still have nobody named after anyone in the harry potter stories. If I get a single bird I will wait, this time, to see what its personality is like before I name it, so I don't change names after  a day like I did with Mr P.

Anyway, the paperwork is submitted, my home has already been inspected, and I'm just waiting to see what kind of bird I'm going to get, and when. If this works out, I may consider fostering others that are rescued. My biggest fear about fostering is that it will break my heart when these guys find someone to adopt them, even though that is really the mission. I just get too attached!

I am sure Harry is thrilled to have a good home, no matter what name she is called by. And actually, that's a great name for an escape artist!

• Allee and Cindi&Jeriel like this

#9 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 04:50 PM

If you foster, then the choice is your as to whether you like the potential forever homes or not.  You have the power to decide what is right for the animal in your care.  So dont worry about fostering because, believe it or not, I found out that some homes were actually better than mine and so was glad for the animal to go to people who really cared about it and could do a better job than me.  If you decide to keep the animal, then so be it.  All foster carers go through the same thing - sadness and upset when an animal is rehomed.  You need a support group of other foster carers to help you through it.  Anyway, I cant talk - I see a little Shetland pony who doesnt like people, runs away from everyone and doesnt give a hoot about anything and what do I do?  Adopt her sad.png  See Sharyn, we are all the same - we have these flashing signs on our foreheads that only animals can see - it says "Sucker".

• Allee, Cindi&Jeriel and Sharyn and Mr Piggy like this

#10 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 23 April 2014 - 07:03 PM

So true, Jan!  My understanding is that all the fosters for the parrot rescue have a private yahoo site they can go to that is only for Florida Parrot Rescue fosters. Once all my paperwork is in order, I'll get access to the site. I still keep in touch with the girl who was Mr P's foster mom before I adopted him and she is just thrilled that I will be fostering. She did a great job with Mr P, lots to learn from her :)

When I originally adopted Mr P, I swore that I would have ONLY ONE BIRD in my home. Now I have broken my own rules and amended them to say, one PET and one foster (unless I get a bonded pair, and that still counts as one).

Hopefully, when I get back from this durn bird show on Sunday, I wont be saying, One adult pet bird, one foster and one baby! LOL

#11 equineRtist

equineRtist

equineRtist

• Members
  • 4,375 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 11:35 PM

We just can't help it. The birds are so helpless and have to depend on us to give them care, peace and comfort. Bless you for taking on this task.

#12 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 12:08 AM

Hey Sharyn, have you heard anything about the fosters yet?

#13 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:08 AM

I was just invited to the private yahoo Florida Parrot Rescue volenteer site so I am assuming I am good to go.

This weekend, I have a ton of family coming down because my son is FINALLY graduating from college so I have let things slide until after this weekend.

Once everyone leaves and life is back to my version of normal, I will get back in touch with the coordinator and tell her I am ready for a foster.

I saw something on one of the group posts saying they are paying to board some of the lovebirds from the hoarding case so I am guessing that they will be happy to foster out one of those (or a pair)

I will definately post a pic of my new arrival when I get him or her.

Thanks for asking!

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#14 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:04 AM

Congratulations to your son!!! Definitely an exciting weekend.

I'm sure a lot of help is needed for those birds in the hoarding case. I hope they all find loving homes.

#15 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:39 AM

Thanks, it took him 6 years to finish with a 4 year degree, but, hey, it's the end result that counts right?

I keep telling myself that anyway :)

AND, in 2 more weeks, my daughter is graduating from law school.

Lots of stuff going on this month :)

#16 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 11:25 AM

And...it's official!

Hi everyone,

Id officially like to announce a new member to our rescue - Sharyn S has been approved as a new foster!   She has also previously adopted from us as well - she adopted Pauly the Quaker (now Mr. P) in January and lives in Winter Haven FL.   

Welcome Sharyn!   :-)

Foster Coordinator, Central Florida
Florida Parrot Rescue

Edited by Sharyn and Mr Piggy, 01 May 2014 - 11:26 AM.

• Allee likes this

#17 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 07:49 PM

Congratulations, Sharyn-- and good luck with fostering. smile.png

#18 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:38 AM

Congrats and good luck, Sharyn! Enjoy your special weekend!