MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

cnyguy

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:57 PM

1. What is your first name and location? My name is Gary, and I live in Liverpool, New York, just outside Syracuse.

2. What do you do for a living? I am trying to be a mystery writer, but am so far unpublished. I restore and sell old radios and vintage audio equipment, and sometimes other types of collectible items, usually selling through local auction houses, and I also do some landscape work.

3. What are your (other!) hobbies? I have too many. I enjoy reading, gardening, listening to music, and cooking (but not cleaning up after myself!), I collect small and not too expensive oriental rugs and 1970's-era stereo equipment and old radios, and I am a passionate ice hockey fan. I occasionally draw and paint, but not as much as I used to.

4. Share something interesting about you. That's a tough one; I'm a pretty dull guy. There's a sort of numerical coincidence about my date and time of birth: I was born at 5:28 PM on 5/28. Don't ask what year; I've reached the age where that's becoming a touchy subject.

5. What is your biggest passion within the subject of birds/bird keeping? There's always something new to discover and learn about all kinds of birds, but of course my main interest is parrots.

6. What species are your birds, and how did they get their names? I currently have one Quaker parrot named Ralph. He had already been named before I got him, and it fits him well, and he recognizes his name, so it's going to stay Ralph.

7. What is the favorite toy for your flock? That seems to be whichever toy Ralph is playing with at any given moment; he goes from one to another very quickly. He really seems to enjoy the plastic cable ties that hold the other toys in the cage though!

8. What is your flock's favorite food? Ralph's diet was a bit limited at the pet store where I got him, so he's just being introduced to all kinds of good stuff. He likes a little bit of fresh corn now and then, and chopped-up grapes, but he thinks green peas are something to play with and not eat. He also enjoys a little taste of tomato pie, which is an upstate New York specialty-- sort of a cousin to pizza-- Italian bread type crust, tomato sauce and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese, usually served at room temperature.

9. Share a favorite bird story. Most of the closet doors in my apartment are mirrored. When I fist moved in, my old Amazon, George, spotted his reflection and was fascinated. I asked him, "Who's that funny parrot over there?" and he looked at me and replied, "George." He was a pretty smart parrot.

10. How long have you been keeping birds? We always had budgies and canaries in the house when I was growing up. A few years later, my aunt and I fell in love with George, the Yellow-crowned Amazon, when we first saw him in the pet department of a chain department store way back in 1969. George joined the family in December of that year, and I've been captivated by parrots ever since.

11. What sparked your interest in them? Growing up with birds in the house, and being fascinated by the variety of wild birds that visited my mom's feeders when I was a kid, got me interested in learning more about birds.

#2 jaytee

jaytee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:19 PM

"Who's that funny parrot over there?" and he looked at me and replied, "George." He was a pretty smart parrot.

They really are amazing!

#3 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:45 PM

George was pretty special-- and so is Ralph. :D Life is a lot more interesting and more fun with parrots around!

#4 julsiebean

julsiebean

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:46 AM

I really enjoyed reading your post! I am dying to try italian bread now!!

#5 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

Ralph had only been with me a short time when I first posted my answers above. In the two years that he's been here, his personality has developed, and his tastes have become more firmly established. So, I decided it was time for an update to what I originally wrote.

The fresh green peas that Ralph used to just play with are now his absolute favorite food. He gets them for breakfast nearly every day. He's learned to like a wider variety of vegetables, even kale and broccoli. He's still not fond of most fruits, except apple, grapes and (sometimes) a little banana. He loves quinoa and barley, and is somewhat less fond of brown rice, but eats a little of it. His favorite treats include plain air-popped popcorn, extra-sharp cheddar cheese and cinnamon toast.

His favorite toys include thin wooden dowels. He loves to build with them, then have me pull 'em apart so he can build again. He enjoys untying knots in strings, playing fetch with almost anything (especially a plastic food storage bowl that's bigger than he is :lol:)-- he drops stuff on the floor, and I fetch them. :D Another favorite plaything is the stainless steel watchband my brother gave Ralph for Christmas when he bought a new one to replace it. It has small plastic sections that pop out from between the stainless steel links. Pulling them out keeps Ralph busy for half an hour at a time-- pretty good for a parrot with a short attention span. :)

These past two years went by fast-- it hardly seems possible that Ralph has been with me that long already. :)