MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Siobhan

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 07:13 PM

1. What is your first name and location?
Siobhan is the one I use online -- Irish heritage, what can I say.

2. What do you do for a living?
journalist and sometimes musician (for money -- I'm a musician whether I'm getting paid or not, Posted Image

3. What are your (other!) hobbies?
crocheting, gardening, reading, shopping

4. Share something interesting about you.
I'm ambidextrous, is that interesting? Posted Image

5. What is your biggest passion within the subject of birds/bird keeping?
People who aren't temperamentally suited to birds shouldn't have them -- the same passion I have about all animals. I wish people would THINK before acquiring a living thing who depends on them and is at their mercy.

6. What species are your birds, and how did they get their names?
Clyde and Jade are the Quakers, and Jade was already named and loves her name. Hubby named Clyde. We got our girl budgie a few months after Clyde, so clearly she had to be Bonnie. Jade came along after that, then we got a boy budgie. I loved the movie "Benji" and it went with "Bonnie" but I spelled it "Benjy" because he's a BOY budgie. Posted Image Then there's my tiel Freddie, who hasn't been with us quite a month, and he's named for the cockatoo on "Baretta." You see, Hubby wanted a cockatoo, but I think that's more bird than we could handle, and tiels LOOK like smaller versions of 'toos. Posted Image

7. What is the favorite toy for your flock?
Benjy likes swings and his mirror. Bonnie and Clyde both like strings and beads. Jade LOVES bells. Freddie likes to destroy things.

8. What is your flock's favorite food?
Clyde and Jade love potatoes, Clyde especially. They all like pumpkin seeds. Freddie gets so excited over pumpkin seeds that he squawks even while he's eating it. Posted Image

9. Share a favorite bird story.
The latest one is Jade copying Freddie's sounds so well that she fooled me AND Freddie.

10. How long have you been keeping birds?
We always had budgies when I was growing up, and we had chickens for several years (they lived out their natural life spans -- no fear of the pot for THEM) and I raised pigeons for a while, too.

11. What sparked your interest in them?
When I was a kid, they were just always around, but I hadn't had a bird for years until the day Clyde turned up in the yard and demanded we become his servants. The other four are all Clyde's fault -- we love him so much we decided to form a flock.

#2 jaytee

jaytee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:25 PM

...but I hadn't had a bird for years until the day Clyde turned up in the yard and demanded we become his servants.

Posted Image :lol:

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:55 PM

Thought I should update with Maggie now that she's joined the flock.

I was sitting at work last week minding my own business when I overheard a co-worker, on the phone with her sister, say "Why don't I let you talk to Val (my real first name, or part of it, anyway) about it?"

Huh?

My phone rings and the co-worker's sister, whom I also know in passing, tells me she has a friend whose husband is seriously ill and they're moving to be closer to his parents, and they have to rehome all their pets including a dove. Would I take the dove, because the sister knows I have birds ...

So I called Hubby, not to "ask" but more to "warn" him. :lol: Surprisingly, he didn't even squawk. Sure, he said. Take the dove.

I picked her up a few days later, on my day off, so I could be at home with her to help her settle in. It's only been a few days, and she's not sure what she thinks of us just yet, but she makes SIX birds in addition to the dogs, the rodents and the other five birds. I spend a LOT of time cleaning up after critters.

#4 the tractor

the tractor

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:22 AM

Hello, I see that you play the drums, what sort of music do you like to play to and are you in a band?

I play the drums also, just in the back shed when the neighbours are out! To my ipod. Must sound terrible!!!!!!Posted Image

#5 Diane Doolittle

Diane Doolittle

Adv Member

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 06:46 AM

Does not surprise me Sioblan that your a journalist. :) Nice to get to know you and yours a bit better. Enjoyed it. Now I have a question. Pumpkin seeds from grocery store...safe? Wondering if I should try.:rolleyes:

#6 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 10:01 AM

Hello, I see that you play the drums, what sort of music do you like to play to and are you in a band?

I play the drums also, just in the back shed when the neighbours are out! To my ipod. Must sound terrible!!!!!!Posted Image

I've played in bands for years. Right now mybar band's kind of in limbo due to our bass player's recent health problems and my nutty work schedule, but I play bass in my church band every Sunday. In the bar band, we mostly play 50s and 60s rock and blues, but I've played in country bands, hard rock bands, top 40 bands, you name it. Usually I'm the drummer, but I've also played guitar, keyboards and bass in bands.

Diane, we grow pumpkins in the summer and that's where a lot of our seeds for the birds come from, and we have a friend who LOVES jack-o-lanterns, so he gives us the seeds from his pumpkins every October and we toast them and give them to the birds, and you can also buy pumpkin seeds in the treat aisle at the pet shop.