MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Ellie Died

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 12:24 AM

My little female betta died today. She'd been acting oddly for a couple of days, not her usual perky self, and I asked for advice on the betta forum, and the only person to respond suggested a water change and "fasting" her for a couple of days (not feeding her). Well, I'm not going to starve one of my babies, and she wasn't eating much, anyway. I had just changed her water on Saturday. I change everybody's water once a week. She was acting different before I did that, so it wasn't the water change at fault (sometimes a water change can affect a fish badly if you don't take care to equalize the temperature and properly treat city water before putting the fish in it). Both the boys are fine and I did everything the same for all three.

She was lying on her side but still alive when I got ready to leave for church rehearsal this evening, so I scooped her out and put her in a bowl with some betta medicine and she didn't even argue much about being scooped, which she usually hates. When I got home, she was gone. I looked her over and couldn't see a thing wrong with her. No swelling. No discoloration. No injury, where she might have bumped herself somehow. I wish I knew what had gone wrong, so I could be sure to avoid it with the boys.

#2 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:00 AM

I am so sorry to hear this news.  Sometimes animals (and fish) have pre-existing conditions which don't show up immediately.  Or she could have been old.  Ellie found a loving home and experienced a life she wouldn't have if she remained in the pet shop.  You did a good thing bringing Ellie into your life - you certainly enriched hers.

#3 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 01:07 AM

Awww, I'm sorry to hear about Ellie. :( Jan is right, sometimes they have pre-existing conditions and die for no apparent reason.

#4 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:47 AM

I'm very sorry about Ellie. I am glad she had the opportunity to be loved and taken care of by you. I know she enjoyed living in her castle and being treated like a Princess.

#5 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 11:20 AM

The boys are both still fine this morning and ate a hearty breakfast. It must have just been something wrong that I couldn't see. Since I have an empty tank and decorations and a heater in need of an owner, I'm going to sterilize it all -- just in case -- and rescue another this weekend. No sense in leaving a fish in a tiny cup in the store when I have everything already. 

#6 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

I was nearly going to advise you to rescue another one and then thought I might have sounded a bit pushy.  Even I am thinking of getting a betta - I pass them in the petshop and they look so sad.  Then I think of your bettas and how they are having a great life and how hard would it be to add one little fish to my menagerie.

#7 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 06:16 PM

Sorry to hear about Ellie. She's swimming in Betta Heaven now....with little fish angel wings.

I'm glad you gave her a nice bowl, a heater and lots of pretty decorations. She was a lucky fish!

#8 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 24 December 2013 - 08:57 PM

Sorry to hear about Ellie. You gave her a good life for the unfortunately short time she was with you.

#9 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 12:04 AM

I didn't want to sound pushy either, but I'm happy you are giving Ellie's home to another beta who needs it.

#10 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 03:53 PM

I want to take them all home, really, poor things, and I know I won't be able to resist with that empty tank at home, so I might as well admit that and just plan to get another when I go after bird supplies this weekend. Why pretend otherwise? 

#11 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 07:49 PM

Siobhan, I wanted to ask you something.  I am happy to get a heater for the winter but in summer we are getting temperatures of 38+ degrees Celsius. We use fans but they often blow warm air.  I am worried that the betta may die if the water gets too warm.  Any advice?  Good luck with your "shopping" on the weekend.  One little betta is about to get a post-Christmas surprise and a permanent change of circumstances.  Let us know how you go smile.png

#12 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 12:52 AM

I'm sorry to hear about Ellie. sad.png

#13 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 26 December 2013 - 10:49 AM

I don't think they need a heater in summer. The idea is to keep the water at a steady temperature of 75 or so, and you can get an aquarium thermometer to keep track of it. We don't have air conditioning, and last summer their water was the same temp as the air. Those special betta heaters will kick off when the water temp reaches the optimum, so if you had a heater, even in summer, it wouldn't kick on if it didn't need to.

#14 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 09:22 PM

Went to pick up Kahn and they wouldn't let me have him as I didn't take a water sample.  They said the water needs to sit for a week and the girl who gave me information yesterday morning was completely wrong.  The guy I saw to fix the tank was correct so Kahn remains in the petshop for another week until the water stabilises and I take a sample.  The water in Sydney is full of chlorine and fluoride so it does have the potential to affect the fish.  While I am disappointed, I am very impressed that the staff put the fish's welfare above mine.  Even though it is against store policy to hold fish, they were happy to do so for me.  He is a gorgeous little guy - again coming to the side of the tank to see me.  He shows no fear.  I hope he will be happy in his new home.  They told me I can get some small fish (like neons and catfish) who can live with him without them upsetting him so will give that some thought as well. 

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#15 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 29 December 2013 - 07:09 PM

I'm sorry you have to wait for Khan's homecoming but I'm sure it's best. I know Khan will be very happy in his new home.