MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Mr P Flew Into The Kitchen

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 10:56 AM

So, I guess it is time to clip Mr P's wings again. I havent done this yet, it was done by his foster Mom before I took him home

today, he flew into the kitchen.

Gee, why doesnt it surprise me that, of all places to fly to, he flew into the kitchen first

I am unsure which one of us was more surprised.

While he was in there, he decided to walk around to see, perhaps, if there was any food dropped on the floor, sorta like a dog.

He then, calmly, sauntered over to his playstand ladder and climbed up like he flies into the kitchen every day

Now, is he going to be TICKED at me when I wrap him in a towel and clip his wings?

That is the plan for teh weekend before he accidently flies into my ceiling fans ;(

Edited by Sharyn and Mr Piggy, 09 May 2014 - 10:57 AM.

#2 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 12:04 PM

LOL Good luck with that, Sharyn! :D Let us know how it goes.  I hope he behaves himself for you. :)

• Sharyn and Mr Piggy likes this

#3 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 01:22 PM

I think I'm going to have my b/f hold him while I snip

That way Mr P will be ticked at  him, instead of me

Thanks, should be...interesting

#4 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:12 PM

That's what hubby and I do with Taz, when we clip him (we haven't for awhile, he likes to fly).  He holds him in a towel and I clip.  He screeches like he's being killed and says "Pretty bird!" in a REALLY pathetic little voice....it's hilarious! :)

#5 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:22 PM

I watched Mr P's foster mom do it when I went to pick him up.

He got really bent out of shape while he was in the towel and as soon as she let him go he acted like  nothing had happened.

I am always afraid I am holding their head too tightly when I do it (on birds I used to have) and I wind up getting bitten because they wriggle free.

My little budgie was the only bird I didnt have to towel, she let me pick her up and carry her around like a tennis ball. She didnt care if I clipped her wings

I doubt Mr P's previous owners bothered toweling him and clipping  his wings so I'm assuming this is NOT something he is used to.

I feel badly about doing this already but my house is too dangerous (I'm in Fl, lots of ceiling fans going all the time) to let him fly

Edited by Sharyn and Mr Piggy, 09 May 2014 - 02:24 PM.

#6 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:17 PM

Don't feel bad or guilty about your decision to clip.  If you have ceiling fans, it really is the safest thing you can do for him. :)

• Cindi&Jeriel and Sharyn and Mr Piggy like this

#7 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

When he's in the towel, and your BF is holding him, just flip the tail end of the towel over his head so he can't see who is clipping him. Then he won't know WHO to be mad at!!!

wink.png

• Casey's Mom, msdani1981, Cindi&Jeriel and 1 other like this

#8 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:54 PM

good idea!

#9 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 02:31 PM

You could put the ceiling fans on the lowest setting and put beaded curtains across the kitchen door(s) so Mr. P can't go into that room. That's what we had to do at our old house, which was very small and there was no way to let the birds out at all without taking those precautions. Maggie used to ride the ceiling fan like a merry-go-round. LOL But we either put it on the very lowest speed or left it turned off altogether. 

#10 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:34 PM

Good ideas, Siobhan, however it is just too hot here in FL not to have the fans blasting. I'm at that age where hot flashes are an everyday part of life, not just at night and I NEED my fans running FULL BLAST! LOL

Also, my kitchen has a breakfast bar thing across the front so the entire kitchen is open to the "great room" which is where Mr P lives. So, the bead thing won't work either.

I appreciate the suggestions, however , I think we are going to just bite the bullet and clip Mr P's wings.

He only flew once (yesterday) so I doubt he'll even realize he is missing anything.

#11 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 10 May 2014 - 07:58 PM

Here in Ohio, clipped wings are the law for Quakers. Ocho's flight feathers grew in on one side only, so I was trying to hold off on taking him to be clipped until both were in. But he started flying pretty far with one set, so I opted to take him. Ever since he has been flapping like CRAZY on his perch, like if he practices more, he can fly again. It's kinda sad. Now the other side is growing in and I imagine that in his mind his exercise paid off because he can catch some air again all of the sudden with the new feathers growing in.

I will keep him clipped unless Ohio changes its law, which our vet, who is on a board working to change legislation, said he does not foresee happening.

#12 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 04:51 PM

Well, the deed is done.

Mr P did not put up as much of a fuss as I thought he would.

He seemed a little put out with us afterward, but got over it fairly quickly, enough to want cuddles from me a little while later.

We should be good for another few months now :)

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#13 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:49 PM

Yay!  I'm glad it went so well! :)

#14 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:56 PM

Thanks, way better than I expected.

Good thing about Mr P, if he *is* put out enough not to accept food from us, it never lasts long :)

He went to the corner of his playstand and sulked for about an hour (wouldn't take a pumpkin seed from me), then he was fine and has been fine the rest of the day.

#15 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 08:15 PM

LOL Taz gets sulky too, after we clip him.  It's kind of funny. :)