MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Ishma - Also Known As Izzy

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
54 replies to this topic

#41 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 12:37 PM

Oh no!!!  I'm sorry, Jan!  Feel better soon! :(

#42 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 April 2014 - 07:04 PM

Even though I am still ill, I went to see Izzie yesterday.  I walked into the paddock and she galloped away from me and went into a semi-circle and ended up right in front of me.  I was truly amazed and was so pleased I had made the journey.  We spent lots of quiet time together as I couldnt really do very much and it is so nice to see that even though she may turn away from me, she doesnt really move very far and waits for me.  She is starting to show a bit of personality now - I think she is wonderful smile.png

#43 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:11 AM

I hope you are feeling better Jan, a day with Izzie sounds like good therapy. So happy you are enjoying each other's company. I know Izzie thinks you are wonderful too. :)

#44 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 12:01 AM

Spent another wonderful day with Izzie yesterday.  Took her for a very big walk across some paddocks.  She loved it but was a bit lame by the time we got back.  Going back to see her tomorrow.  She is getting a lot more confident and we got her coat on - took 20 minutes but she was fine once it was put on which makes us think she has worn coats before.  I even managed to give her a kiss on her face.  She is an amazing girl and there were just so many special moments that I will never forget. 

Dani, how's Cami going?

#45 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 05:43 PM

You should keep a journal of her progress.  That way you really will never forget what she was like when she came to the rescue and how she's blossomed with you. :)

Good job, getting her blanket on!  That can be a huge challenge! :)

Cami is doing GREAT, I'll have to take some more pictures for you. :)

#46 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 20 April 2014 - 10:42 PM

Tis the time of year for getting sick, I guess.  I went to a tack sale yesterday (got some GREAT deals!), came home feeling fine and a few hours later WHAM-O, I was achy, congested, with a sore throat and really nauseous. sad.png I spent all day today in bed.  Hoping I'll feel better tomorrow (have a doctor's appt in the morning) because Zach and I are leaving for Indiana EARLY Tuesday morning.  Our shuttle to the airport leaves at 2:15am. sad.png

I hope you're feeling better, Jan. :)

Edited by msdani1981, 20 April 2014 - 10:43 PM.

#47 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:09 AM

Hi Dani, came off the antibiotics on Saturday and already my lungs are acting up.  I hope you are feeling better soon - there is nothing worse than being sick - it is such a waste of time.  Saw Izzie again yesterday.  We walked the laneways on the property and ended up in front of the gate that leads to the big paddock where she was a couple of days ago.  Much to my surprise, she pushed the gate 3 times with her head - I assumed she wanted to go for another walk.  However, my friend wasn't there and we need to pass 2 big horses that really annoyed Izzie last time - she kicked one of them.  So am making arrangements to go for another big walk next week.  She is such a lovely girl smile.png

#48 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 02 May 2014 - 10:26 PM

Hi Jan!  How is Miss Izzy doing?? :)

#49 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:17 PM

I am going to take a week off to spend each day with Izzie.  She is doing amazingly well but has trust issues and we can see she wants to break through the barrier but cant.  So we have decided that if I spend a bit more time with her, we may be able to get through to her.  She learns quickly and she does love to be around people but she just doesnt trust us.  Have taken the halter off her as it was rubbing on part of her face so we now have to catch her without grabbing the halter.  We have been practicing other catch methods with her that wont cause her any stress.

#50 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 09:36 PM

Yes, the pressure and release method that I described definitely isn't for all horses.  I hope you're able to find something that works for her, I wish you good luck! :)

Have fun playing with her this week, it sounds like you're doing great! :)

#51 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 04 May 2014 - 11:09 PM

Hi Dani, it will probably be next week or the week after that I spend with her.  We put the lead rope under her neck and over the mane and she will walk that way - as long as we dont put the rope over her neck first as she freaks out.  We did a lot of catch and release with her yesterday and she was pretty good about it.  We also used a cinch on her to get her used to something around her as I will be buying her a winter coat shortly.  Her summer coat does not fasten underneath - only over the back legs, neck and chest.  We are also attempting to bombproof her so she wont be alarmed at things she doesnt understand.  I love working with her but we need to be very clear on what we want her to do and every little step in the right direction gets heaps of praise.  She certainly is a special little girl.  How's Cami going?

#52 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 11 May 2014 - 06:48 PM

Had a brilliant day with Izzie yesterday.  We put the Tellington wraps on her in a figure 8 so it went around her chest, crossed over the back and then went around her back legs.  She immediately relaxed so we left her with them on for a little while.  I also walked her while she was wearing them.  Then we took them off, took her up to the big sand arena and let her go.  She ran and ran and ran for a very long time.  It was so amazing to see.  Then my friend bent down on one knee and Izzie came straight over to her.  She was one very happy little pony yesterday. 

#53 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 12 May 2014 - 11:54 PM

I just spent about 4 hours with Cami.  She is doing so great, I got some new photos and some video.  I love this horse so much! :D

#54 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 12:34 AM

I know EXACTLY what you mean smile.png

#55 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 01:39 PM

As always, it is wonderful to see Izzie and Cami's fantastic progress reports!!