MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

New Diets All Around

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 12:18 PM

I bought the ingredients for the "right" diet for Ringo, mixed them up and put what was left of her favorite cheapo cat food in, too, and put it in her dish. Other than her daily meal worms (sprinkled over her rock garden so she has to peck to get them, which keeps her beak from overgrowth), that's what she's getting to eat. She's eating. Under protest, and throwing the bits she doesn't like on the floor to make her point, but she IS eating. 

I also decided, after visiting the tiels at Petsmart who were eating their pellets cheerfully, that mine should have lots more pellets and lots less seed. I bought Kaytee fruit blend for them (the Quakers get Zupreem, and the tiels steal those but won't eat them if they're in their own dishes, so I wanted something that looked different), filled their dishes with it and that's all they have in their cages. Of course, Benjy and Maggie have seeds in their dishes, and the tiel seed blend that I don't think is very high quality is in the treat cup, so the tiels (all THREE) spend a lot of time and effort "stealing" seeds to munch on, but so do the Quakers, while Benjy and Maggie put a lot of effort into stealing pellets. LOL I figure the exercise required to get into somebody else's cage to steal food makes up for the fat in the seeds, and this way everybirdy is getting a well-rounded diet. If only I could figure out a way to make Ringo feel that she was "stealing" the good food and would therefore WANT to eat it.

#2 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:32 PM

LOL Well, as long as Ringo is eating....I think that's what matters.  Glad to hear that she's eating the good stuff, though. :)

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 03:50 PM

Ringo is prone to refusing to eat if she doesn't get what she likes, but the good stuff is so intermixed with her cheapo stuff -- which is actually not that bad, I fed the same thing to my cats when I had them, and their health was good -- that she's going to have to eat some good stuff along with it. I think if she'd TRY it, she'd like it. When I changed her paper yesterday, I found several pieces of the good cat food on the floor of her cage, and when I first brought it home and offered her a piece, she threw it at me. LOL The tiels are not impressed with their pellets, either. Johnny hasn't even touched his, but he and Freddie usually share Freddie's dish so that's not unusual. Jade stole some of their pellets last night, but she had to chase Freddie away from the dish first, so he's eating a little of it. Greta dug through hers looking for some seeds this morning and then went into Benjy's cage next door to eat his food. 

#4 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 04:41 PM

LOL Too funny! :)

I wonder what was going through Greta's mind when she couldn't find any seeds in her dish. :)

#5 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 20 January 2014 - 05:13 PM

Probably something along the lines of "I SAW Mom fill this up yesterday! They gotta be here somewhere!" The thing is, Greta got some extra treats when she was laying and then setting her eggs. I gave her stuff the others didn't get in the hope of keeping her strength up in spite of all that laying and spending so much time behind the curtain on the cold floor. Since she gave up the egg project, she's back to regular food like everyone else gets and she hasn't quite adjusted yet. LOL 

Last night, she was on my leg, where she likes to sit for her nightly scritches, and Maggie landed next to her, and I saw The Look in Maggie's eye (she objects to the existence of all the others) and I got my hand between them just as Maggie viciously pecked. So it was my hand that got pecked instead of Greta, who scrambled up my chest to safety while I was getting torn to shreds. Pigeons can peck HARD when they're mad. The first was meant for Greta, but the rest were meant for me because I kept her from beating up Greta. Then just as suddenly, she demanded petting. And I said, "You just pecked the (naughty word) out of me, and now you want me to PET you like nothing happened?" Yes, that was exactly what she expected. LOL And while I was cleaning cages, I reached in for Jade's water dish full of pellet soup as I do nightly and have done nightly since her arrival on Jan. 4, 2009 and on this occasion, she grabbed my finger and chomped hard enough that it's still bruised and sore today. I said, "Ja-ade!" and she let go and LAUGHED. She used to attack like a rabid wildcat when I reached in, but she hasn't done that for a couple of YEARS, so I wasn't expecting it. And the fact is, as hard as she chomped, it was NOTHING next to what she's capable of, plus the chuckle afterward made me think she didn't intend for it to hurt, she was playing. It's just that she plays so ROUGH.