MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Return Of The Swing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 07 March 2014 - 09:34 PM

I had to post these photos. One of the first things I gave to Popeye was the purple swing in the photo. He fell in love with it. He slept in it every night. It was so ragged I had to take it down and make him a new one. A friend was telling me a bird sanctuary gives fleece preening toys to all their pluckers so I wanted to make my own swings for Sparkle and Harry. I bought the fleece for the little swings and for Popeye's ring swing. Popeye isn't a plucker, he just loves his strange toy. I took his purple swing out and he didn't have it for two days and nights. We got to hear that jet engine scream both evenings. He was hilarious when I gave him his new swing. He happily went to bed without a sound. The little swing is Harry's. I gave her a natural perch. It's been in her cage for three days and she isn't sitting in it yet but very close to it. :)

http://s791.photobuc...e/library/swing

#2 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 12:42 AM

Awww, Popeye's so cute with his swing! He's smiling.

#3 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:41 PM

Awww, thank you so much for sharing!  Popeye is adorable!!!

#4 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 04:52 PM

When we got Jade, she was cage aggressive to the max and you did NOT touch her things at all. Not if you wanted to not have holes in your body where holes were never meant to be. But her stuff hadn't been replaced for years and was worn out. For her birthday the first year we lived in this house, I decided I was going to get her new stuff and rearrange her cage even if I did bleed. LOL But she has improved immensely and I explained what I was doing and that it was her birthday present, and she supervised, but didn't object to my taking everything out, giving it a thorough cleaning, and putting new stuff in. She didn't look happy about losing her boing, but it took up so much room and was past saving to the point where I was afraid it might even be dangerous to her. I gave her a swing like you gave Popeye to replace it and she LOVES it. It's her favorite place to sit (I put a toy with huge, noisy bells right next to it, and that might have helped, LOL). A few months ago, a friend and I went to a bird fair and I got Clyde a similar swing -- well, I got it for Freddie, but he hated it, so I gave it to Clyde -- and he won't sit on it for love nor money, but he does play with the built-in toys a little bit, so I leave it in his cage. If only birds were more like lizards. I got Rex a new hidey shaped like a spaceship and he abandoned his formerly favorite cave and moved right in, and hardly even comes out of it except to eat.

#5 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 09:09 PM

Rex sounds like a laid back lizard. That must be nice. Isn't it great when you give a parrot something they really like? Popeye is still smiling. It makes my day. :)

When I give something new to the quakers, I get the stink eye, then I get squawked at and sometimes I get permission to put it inside the cage, but only if they approve of the location. And then Zeke and Harry permanently traded cages. I still can't believe it. AND Harry was playing with her new swing today and even sitting in it.

Today Sweet Pea was sitting on top of her cage and she hissed and ran, she usually comes to me and makes kissy sounds. I'm outnumbered and the birds are conspiring against me. And I still think Harry and Clyde are using our computers after lights out. Maybe Jade is in on it too.

#6 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 11:35 PM

Ringo knows when I want to play with Rex and flatly refuses to go into her cage. She doesn't mind him being around, as long as she gets some worms, but she definitely doesn't approve of my paying any attention to him. She may be in on the conspiracy, too. I've discovered he likes music. When I practice he always comes out of his spaceship.

Jade flew to my shoulder this morning when I opened cages and said "whee hee!" and pulled my hair. For her, that passes for affection. LOL And Johnny deigned to sit on my finger and let me kiss him. But he was looking at me like I was an interesting specimen under a microscope the whole time. And Benjy's little face is almost completely healed from his incident the other day, which I now believe was Jade and not Clyde. I found a spot on the floor in front of Jade's cage that looked like dried blood when I mopped the day after that happened. When I pointed to it and asked her if she'd been the one to chomp Benjy, she said "Jade a good girl!" which I took to mean "Yes, I chomped him. He's a brat."

#7 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:46 AM

That's adorable, a lizard who likes music and has his own spaceship. :)

I'm having a lot of fun with Sweet Pea. She's showing me some attitude now. I'm having trouble not laughing at her when she fluffs up and hisses at me. I know she's trying to be scary, but she's so cute. I'm surprised at how much she has in common with her bigger cousin.

I feel kind of bad that all of us were so quick to blame Clyde for Benjy's injury. I'm so glad he's recovered. Nice of Jade to admit to it. :(

#8 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 09:06 AM

Jade is always unrepentant when she does something naughty. She's chomped the blood out of me more times than I can count. It still might have been Clyde. The spot could have been a messy red poop from eating red pellets, and she'd take credit for chomping Benjy even if it WAS Clyde.

Does Sweet Pea spread her wings and stand on tiptoes when she hisses at you? That's what Freddie does when he's pretending to be an attack bird.

#9 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:13 PM

Ha ha. I have yet to see anything resembling remorse from a parrot! I guess we'll never know who hurt Benjy, unless he decides to tell.

Yes, that is exactly what Sweet Pea does. Her balance was so bad that when she first got here she would tumble off her perch, head first, but in the last week she has started getting around much better. I still have the soft landing towel in the bottom of her cage but she won't need it much longer. She has such a pretty voice and she has been vocalizing with the QP's a little. She and Zeke are neighbors and they have been chatting to each other. She also LOVES Zupreem fruit pellets, she picks all the red ones out first and then the rest. She has removed most of her mangled tail feathers and a lot of clipped wing feathers, so maybe she will replace those soon and that should help her balance too.

#10 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 11 March 2014 - 08:49 PM

Awww. Nothing like a happy tiel. They do sing prettily and their little faces always seem to be smiling.