MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

It's The Little Things

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:25 PM

My Umbrella cockatoo, Popeye has a very sweet personality, but he is a six year old male Umbie and the other day I almost got on the wrong side of his amazing beak.

I got home late and ran to the bird room to apologize for my bad behavior. I didn't stop to change my red shirt with buttons on the collar and sleeves. I opened Popeye's door and he came out and waved his foot to be picked up and hugged. He does this every day. While he was getting his hug he discovered the small red buttons on my collar, his eyes lit up, he clipped a button off in his beak and ran to the back of a nearby chair with his stolen treasure. Uh oh! I could just see the results of him swallowing that button. I didn't have enough ready cash for surgery so I tried sweet talking him. "Pie, give Mommy the button, come on." Harry joined me to help out, "Be A Good Boy". Popeye was enjoying center stage, he rolled that button all over his tongue, stuck his tongue out the side of his beak, danced all over the back of the chair. I swear that rotten bird was taunting me. I tried to take the button and of course he clamped his beak shut and closed his eyes. I grabbed the nearest things to trade for the button without taking my eyes off his beak. I wanted to know for sure what to tell the vet. I tried trading a nutri-berry, a birdie bagel, finally he dropped the button for a strip of leather, which he also dropped. I bent to pick up the button, he snatched another one off my sleeve. Instant replay! Fun for him, not so much of a treat for me. He finally dropped the second button in exchange for a pepper filled wicker ball. I left him playing with his ball and traded the shirt with buttons for a white t-shirt. When I returned he needed another hug, poor guy, I picked him up and he inspected my shirt for stray toys. None. This instantly angered him and he tried running up my arm, I blocked him and he reached over to pull my hair. I told him no, and he raised his crest and kicked his foot. Not a good sign. I held him close to his balcony while he looked for a place to bite me. I carefully transported him to his play stand in the next room. I heard a heavy toy hit the floor as I walked away. He raved like a lunatic while the other birds played. He flung his snack, dumped his water and kept demanding to be picked up. I tried to distract him with a new toy in his freshly cleaned cage. I'm not sure how I got him back to his cage without being attacked. He was furious. He went straight to his perch, slumped, covered his beak with his feathers and sat in angry silence like a toad for the next two hours. That was three days ago and he still hasn't completely forgiven me. I've played his favorite movies, made his favorite bread, even gave him a rare favorite snack, crunchy peanut butter on toast, he accepted, but I have not been forgiven. I'm still so happy he didn't swallow a button that I'm not all that worried about his pouting and raving. :) Much better to have an angry bird than a hospitalized bird. Besides, I'm not mean enough to laugh in front of him, but his complaining in his awkward cockatoo language cracks me up.
  • Bene_Gesserit and Cindi&Jeriel like this

#2 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:47 PM

Sorry Allee, but I couldnt stop laughing when I read your post - it bought tears (of laughter) to my eyes.  Would you be able to sew some large buttons on a shirt and let him try and get them off?  If he does, the buttons will be too big to swallow.  He obviously loved the shirt with the "toys" on it laugh.png

#3 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:12 PM

Yep, sounds like that poor, deprived bird needs more toys....he obviously doesn't have enough and has to pull buttons off your shirt.  biggrin.png

I think sewing BIG buttons on something is a great idea. Of course, if it catches on with all the other birds, you'll have to just keep sewing buttons on things over and over as they all pull the buttons off.

And who says animals and birds don't have emotions? Any of us who spend time with animals KNOW that they feel happiness, sadness, anger, jealousy....all the *human* emotions!

#4 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:39 PM

I probably would've broken down and laughed right in front of him.

Mr P sulked for about an hour the other day after I clipped his wings and I did laugh at him !

#5 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:02 PM

Poor Popeye! He found this fascinating new hobby and mean mommy won't let him practice it! LOL

#6 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 11:42 PM

I'm sorry that I am laughing at your misfortune!!! I have a shirt with beadwork on the neckline and Ocho LOVES when I forget to change it before playing with him!!

#7 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 03:51 PM

I buy clothes with the birds in mind. If I find something I like and it's got raised decoration, glitter, studs, embroidery, snaps, a zipper ... I don't buy it. The only exception is if it's something I can be sure I'll ONLY wear to work or church and won't forget and put on when I'm going to be with the birds. I do have one zip hoodie that I wear on chilly days at home but I never zip it so their obsession with destroying zippers doesn't matter. 

#8 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:02 PM

I have the luxury of working from home so I have my "bird shirts" that I wear all week long around the house, basically black tshirts with no buttons, snaps, etc that I dont care if they are pooped on or holes chewed in them.

When I  have to go somewhere, I will shower, and dress in a bird shirt until it's time to leave, then put Mr P back in his cage, then change my shirt.

I'm waiting to see how long it will take until I forget to change and walk out of the house to wherever I'm going with the bird shirt on

• Allee and Cindi&Jeriel like this

#9 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

We have our bird shirts at home as well. One day last week we were at the grocery store, and I looked over at my husband, and he was wearing his bird shirt, with an ENORMOUS streak of you-know-what from the shoulder down to the middle of his back. I just shook my head and reminded him to change his shirt when he got back home.

laugh.png laugh.png

• Allee and Sharyn and Mr Piggy like this

#10 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 04:51 PM

I have, in vain, pleaded with everyone I know to tell me if they see a poopy on me when I'm out in public. I don't have dedicated bird shirts, but I am also a genius at getting poop stains out of my t-shirts and jeans, which is what I wear at home. However, I occasionally forget to check for poopies on days off if I have to go out to the store and once, when I went to CHURCH on Saturday (my church is big and we have a Saturday evening service as well as Sunday morning services, and if I'm in the band that week, I have to play at both). We had rehearsal before the service, no one said a word. I went to the restroom between rehearsal and the service and there it was, big as life and twice as natural, right on my shoulder. I removed it and cleaned up as best i could and wished I still had long enough hair to drape over the spot and then demanded of my fellow musicians, "WHY didn't you tell me I had a poopy????" They professed to not have noticed it. It was HUGE. How could you not notice it? (Alternatively, how could *I* have not noticed it? LOL)

• Allee, Cindi&Jeriel and Sharyn and Mr Piggy like this

#11 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 14 May 2014 - 07:46 PM

There probably aren't many of us here who haven't gone out somewhere wearing one of our "decorated" parrot shirts. biggrin.png I've done it more times than I'd really like to admit. Once, my brother asked me to meet him at a nice restaurant for dinner, with only a few minutes' notice. When I got there, I took off my jacket and immediately put it back on when I noticed not one but three poopies prominently displayed on my shirt. ohmy.png Our waitress offered to turn the heat up since I was obviously cold. laugh.png 

• Allee likes this

#12 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 03:12 PM

laugh.png laugh.png laugh.png blink.png I tell my non-bird friends who are unfailingly appalled to hear that birds poop on me that I consider poop a visible representation of their love. They couldn't poop on me if they weren't sitting on me, and they wouldn't sit on me if they didn't love me. Therefore, applying flawless Vulcan logic to the situation, poop equals love. The sanity hearing is pending. 

#13 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 05:29 PM

And bird poop is SO less gross than dog poop and cat poop, and most people don't think twice about scooping out their cat litterbox, or picking up their doggie doo on walks.....Bird poop is smaller and less smelly, ergo, not as gross.

Plus, you can always tell people that you were walking into work/church/the store and a pigeon flew over and dropped a bomb. You don't have to admit your own, darling birds decorated you.

wink.png

#14 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 08:45 PM

There's an old superstition that says that beeing pooped on by a bird brings good luck. biggrin.png My own experience has been different. laugh.png

#15 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:36 PM

Thank you, thank you, thank you! At least I know I'm not alone. So now I need to buy some huge colorful buttons of assorted sizes, randomly sew them all over my predesignated bird shirts, let three birds poop on me and run out to pick up a few things. Yep, I need help. My own Mom and sister have let me go out in public with poop on my shirt and they know about my parrots, talk about traitors.

Twice when Popeye was on his balcony and I walked under him, he decorated me, I had to go change immediately. I don't remember feeling very lucky, but Popeye might have.

#16 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:38 PM

I would imagine that a Cockatoo "decoration" is probably a bit messier than a quaker one.

I had a timneh, her's wasnt that bad but the amazon's was absolutely disgusting.

#17 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 06:20 AM

My husband and I both have what we call "The Poo shirts" (for obvious reasons.) We pretty much live in them when Happy is out of her cage. Since they are only used for this, it's easy to remember to take them off before leaving.  Unfortunately, Happy likes to grab a mouthful of millet before flying to my head, so I've been seen in public repeatedly with a head full of millet shells.

#18 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 03 June 2014 - 08:06 AM

I could always blame a pigeon for poop on me and I wouldn't even be fibbing.

• Bene_Gesserit likes this