MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Ralph Has A New Favorite Toy

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:13 PM

This is Ralph's new favorite plaything-- a jar of mustard seed which he pulled out of the spice rack in the kitchen. He has chewed a little on the plastic top, but mostly likes to hear the sound the seeds make when I shake the bottle. He'll sit on my shoulder and listen to that sound for twenty minutes at a time, bobbing his head in approval. laugh.png Attached File  mustardseed.JPG   59.06KB   0 downloads

• murph, Allee, Cindi&Jeriel and 2 others like this

#2 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 07:16 PM

LOL I can see his little beak marks on the lid!

• cnyguy and Cindi&Jeriel like this

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 26 April 2014 - 11:31 PM

That's pretty cheap for a toy. Maybe he needs a baby rattle?

• cnyguy likes this

#4 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:57 AM

Nice toy and also multifunctional! Good job, Ralph. I think my birds are a little overwhelmed with new toys right now. I bought two play stands and a ridiculous number of toys. I barely had them hung in their cages when they received a care package from a friend of mine, it was a giant box of toys and toy parts from My Safe Bird Store. We're still discussing who gets what. Popeye took one of the play stands for himself (both were meant for the quakers) and when the box of toys arrived, it was almost too much for him, he wanted everything. :)
  • cnyguy and Sharyn and Mr Piggy like this

#5 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:42 AM

That's so cute.

• cnyguy likes this

#6 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 07:48 PM

It really is cheap for a parrot toy. That bottle of mustard seed came with the spice rack when I bought it around 18 years ago-- and I've never used any of it in cooking in all that time (the rest of the herbs and spices that came with it are long gone though). laugh.png I'm sure it's lost its flavor and potency by now, so Ralph can enjoy it as long as he wants to. He usually does prefer things like this to the big, expensive parrot toys I've bought for him. biggrin.png

#7 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 09:50 PM

Isn't it funny what they choose to play with or to completely ignore? Zeke liked wood pieces for a while, now he likes any kind of paper to shred and he will work on knots in leather strips for hours. Harry didn't have a clue what to do with toys when she moved in but she spends a lot of time playing now. Sweet Pea, the cockatiel plays with all her toys and eats all her food, but I really scared her with a happy hut. I didn't think about the color when I got it and I put it in her cage. She was very quiet and not playing with anything. My husband took the hut out of her cage and I heard him telling Sweet Pea he was sorry that her mean mom put a bird eating zebra/panther in her cage. He was right, the inside was black and the outside had black and white stripes. Scary enough to cause night frights. I felt awful, the terrible bird eating happy hut is hidden and harmless now and Sweet Pea is happy again.

#8 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:59 PM

Tiels aren't big on happy huts. I gave Freddie one when he moved in because the Quakers both had one and he chewed on it and pooped on it and swung from it but had no interest in sleeping in his like Clyde and Jade do theirs. Johnny was absolutely petrified of it, even though it was a mild green and not a bird-eating zebra. Greta was terrified of it, too. So that one was put away and when Jade chewed a window in her first one and kept enlarging it until it was a shadow of its former self, I threw it away and gave her the one that I'd bought for Freddie. She hasn't put a window in this one. They don't make them big enough for pigeons, so Maggie has a rabbit basket which she uses only when she's broody. The rest of the time, she sleeps on her perch, even though pigeon people told me that pigeons don't use perches. I got one for my starling, and she wouldn't sleep in it, either. She ran through it and uses it as a fort but that's all. Freddie and Johnny's favorite thing to play with is the newspaper in the bottoms of the cages. They tunnel under it and tear it up. Ringo likes a budgie mirror that spins and has made up a game where we take turns spinning it and she even uses her foot to spin it, and using their feet is not a starling thing at all. But she doesn't know she's a starling. The only toy I've ever bought that I spent too much for and was an unqualified success is a plastic thing with several bells hanging at various levels that I bought for Jade at a bird fair. She LOVES that toy and loved it from the second she saw it, as I knew she would.

#9 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 07:03 AM

Funny about Happy Huts, Mr P's foster mom told me that he had one in his cage when he was turned into the rescue, however, he would NEVER come out of it so she wound up taking it out of his cage.

Mr P sleeps in a food dish (does that not suit him anyway? LOL) and I'm hesitant to re-introduce a happy hut, although hearing you all talk about it makes me think he'd really enjoy it.

Then again, we just got over some bi-polar behavior and there will be more shortly when he gets his new cage so I think I may just wait.

Good call, though, to pay attention to the color of it!

Edited by Sharyn and Mr Piggy, 28 April 2014 - 07:03 AM.

#10 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 08:47 AM

I felt especially bad when my husband pointed out the obvious because I remembered a post on this forum discussing happy hut colors. Harry's hut is pale green and the inside is sky blue. She has a ladder across the middle of her cage that she uses for a runway, I put her hut over the ladder so she can run through it but she is also sleeping in it already. :)

All my birds love the toys from the bird fair, so much better than the few parrot toys sold at pet store chains.

#11 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 10:54 AM

biggrin.pngThat's great, Gary!! I also spotted beak marks before I even read the post!  I think I also have some long outdated mustard seed. May see what Ocho thinks!!

I made Ocho a hut out of plastic canvas and fleece. His is black with a skull and crossbones. Very manly. wink.png

• cnyguy likes this

#12 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:52 PM

I think I also have some long outdated mustard seed.

Maybe we should both try to find some recipes that call for stale mustard seed. laugh.png

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this