MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Grumpy, The Yellow-bibbed Lory

• Please log in to reply
109 replies to this topic

#1 Dolf

Dolf

Adv Member

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:40 PM

Hi,

So, after the three baby Quakers were weaned, as I've been dreaming about having a Lory for a long time, I finally decided to get one.
Initially my idea was to start with a Lorikeet, the Rainbow Lory (not the main species, Trichoglossus haematodus haematodus, but rather a Trichoglossus haematodus moluccanus, which I find nicer) but while visiting a breeder who has quite a few different species of Lories breeding, as the only baby he had available right now was a Yellow-bibbed Lory (Lorius Chlorocercus) I couldn't resist and bought it anyway.

For those not knowing how a Yellow-bib Lory looks like as an adult, here are a couple of pictures taken from Internet:

I got him on November 8, when he was almost 4 weeks. He was born on October 12.

His parents had a clutch of 2 eggs, but either they ate one of the eggs, or have broken it. So the breeder decided to save the other egg by puting it on a hatchery. The baby was born and hand fed by the breeder since day 1.

So now I'm hand feeding him for the last 12 days, three meals a day, about 6g of Harrison Juvenile Formula, which is about a bit more of 20ml.

I named him (well, I say him because it seems it's a male, but as there was some confusion with the DNA test, made from the egg shell, I probably will have him tested again to confirm) "Grumpy". Because he really is a grumpy baby! wacko.gif

Well, as for the picture, here are 3 taken on November 10:

With his teddy bear friend, which seems to help to calm him:

After one meal:

Regards,

Dolf

#2 Dolf

Dolf

Adv Member

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:48 PM

Hi again,

Three more pictures, taken on November 15:

Five days after the 3 first pictures posted, Grumpy already had quite a few new feathers appearing!

Dolf

#3 Dolf

Dolf

Adv Member

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 06:55 PM

Hi again,

Another three pictures, these ones taken on November 17, only two days after the previously posted pictures.

Quite a few new red feathers:

Flying lessons, training for the future: biggrin.gif

New green and blue feathers on the wings:

Dolf

#4 Rachel and Doodad

Rachel and Doodad

Extreme Close Up!!

• Members
  • 208 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:00 PM

OMG he is sooo cute, he looks quite big in your hand there, are they the same size as a rainbow as they are the only loris ive seen???

#5 Dolf

Dolf

Adv Member

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:02 PM

Hi once again,

And finally 4 more pictures taken today (well, almost 24h ago, after his last meal, which he takes at 00:30h) :

As it's visible, the progresses are amaizing, he changes every single day!

Even if not of a Quaker, hope you enjoy this new series of pictures wink.gif

Regards,

Dolf

#6 Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne

"The Sound of Birds Stops The Noise In My Mind"

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:02 PM

Woot!! Another baby to watch grow!! biggrin.gif

Grumpy is gorgeous! I just love seeing those new feathers coming in.

Congrats, Dolf. I know how much fun you are having handfeeding this little one. Let's hope he grows up into a beautiful, healthy birdie.

#7 LuvMyHarley1

LuvMyHarley1

Harley's Mom Julie

• Members
  • 12,565 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:03 PM

Dolf---You are a saint buddy....My, my, what you do for these babies....I assume your reward is the satisfaction of caring and raising these sweet little tweets.... biggrin.gif

Now that Lory is a beauty and to see him (Grumpy, if you will, laugh.gif ), from just a few days old and then one a little later is just amazing....I was laughing at one of the pictures there...It looks like arrows are stuck in his back...(pin feathers) God love him....

Thanks for giving us the pleasure of seeing these babies grow up along with you....

They do make me smile and aaaaw at the same time at each picture......

Thanks Dolf....You are a champ with feeding the young.....

#8 Dolf

Dolf

Adv Member

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:16 PM

QUOTE (Rachel and Doodad @ Nov 19 2007, 07:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
OMG he is sooo cute, he looks quite big in your hand there, are they the same size as a rainbow as they are the only loris ive seen???

Thank you Rachel.
Well, he is not yet as nice as he'll be when he will be completely dressed up with all his nice and colorful feathers, but he is still nice, as every baby is always nice biggrin.gif

Well, there are at least 21 different sub-species among what is commonly called the Rainbow Lory.
Depending on the species or sub-species, they can go from 23 to 28cm. The Moluccanus I mentionned above is about 28cm.
But the Rainbow Lories are in fact Lorikeets. The Yellow-bibbed Lory is indeed a Lory. They are about 28cm.
But the Yellow-bib Lories have a very short tail, on the contrary of the Rainbow Lorikeets, who have a long tail.
Yellow-bibs are larger, Rainbows are thiner. If not counting Rainbows tail, they are smaller than Yellow-bibs.

Hope it helps.

Regards,

Dolf

#9 Dolf

Dolf

Adv Member

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:23 PM

QUOTE (Carrie~Anne @ Nov 19 2007, 07:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Woot!! Another baby to watch grow!! biggrin.gif

Grumpy is gorgeous! I just love seeing those new feathers coming in.

Congrats, Dolf. I know how much fun you are having handfeeding this little one. Let's hope he grows up into a beautiful, healthy birdie.

Hi Carrie~Anne,

Thank you.

I also hope he grows up into a beautiful, healthy birdie.
It's a whole new thing for me, as being my first Lory, and not eating exactly the same kind of food my other birds eat, I've been doing a lot of research, looking for hints on good food for Lories, manufactured ones, hand made ones... new sites to discover, more reading... but a great pleasure learning a lot of new stuff.

Thanks again,

Dolf

#10 Dolf

Dolf

Adv Member

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:30 PM

QUOTE (LuvMyHarley1 @ Nov 19 2007, 07:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dolf---You are a saint buddy....My, my, what you do for these babies....I assume your reward is the satisfaction of caring and raising these sweet little tweets.... biggrin.gif

Now that Lory is a beauty and to see him (Grumpy, if you will, laugh.gif ), from just a few days old and then one a little later is just amazing....I was laughing at one of the pictures there...It looks like arrows are stuck in his back...(pin feathers) God love him....

Thanks for giving us the pleasure of seeing these babies grow up along with you....

They do make me smile and aaaaw at the same time at each picture......

Thanks Dolf....You are a champ with feeding the young.....

Hi LuvMyHarley1,

Thanks a lot biggrin.gif

Some people are against hand feeding baby birds. I can understand some of the points, and do respect their opinions.
Anyway, as for Grumpy, this was the only way to save him, as I mention above.
And I really do love and take a great pleasure doing it.

Yes, those new feathers on his back look indeed like arrows, absolutely, it also made me have a big laugh laugh.gif

Have to go, time for his last meal wub.gif

Thanks again,

Dolf

#11 kalipso2

kalipso2

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,381 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 07:36 PM

hi dolf! i LOVE the pictures of Grumpy... he's growing up to be a beautiful baby.

just one question.. in the picutes from the internet the Lory has an orange beak and Grumpy's is black. will that change with age?

#12 sgtcluck

sgtcluck

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,339 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:05 PM

Dolf,

You are awesome for taking in all those babies. How many fids do you have in all? Do you let them fly or do you clip them? I can't believe how that ugly but cute baby will grow to have so many colors and be so beautiful. That is all just amazing.

#13 ducky1021

ducky1021

Adv Member

• Members
  • 191 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:08 PM

He is awesome. Glad you got the opportunity to get him. He looks like he could be really grumpy also. Keep up the good work hes going to be absolutely gorgeous!

#14 Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne

"The Sound of Birds Stops The Noise In My Mind"

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:11 PM

QUOTE (Dolf @ Nov 19 2007, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Some people are against hand feeding baby birds. I can understand some of the points, and do respect their opinions.

I have the utmost respect for people who handfeed chicks from day 1. It is hard work and with some species, the mortality rate is very high. You just have to be very careful and know what you're doing.

#15 Andrea-afrsss

Andrea-afrsss

Adv Member

• Members
  • 306 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:22 PM

biggrin.gif Dolf, you are the best for posting all those pics!!!
Grumpy is an absolute darling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I look forward to seeing more pics.....

#16 xerxeys mama

xerxeys mama

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,576 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:27 PM

All I can say is WOW! What such stunning pics of the Yellow bibbed Lory. Just gorgeous. The Lory is also a species i was considering of having at one point in my life. Maybe later on down the road. Lories are so gorgeous. Thanks for sharing the beautiful pics. It made my bdy more brighter. smile.gif

#17 Dolf

Dolf

Adv Member

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:40 PM

QUOTE (kalipso2 @ Nov 19 2007, 07:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hi dolf! i LOVE the pictures of Grumpy... he's growing up to be a beautiful baby.

just one question.. in the picutes from the internet the Lory has an orange beak and Grumpy's is black. will that change with age?

Hi kalipso2,

Yes, they change the color of the beack from black to orange, at about 6 months I believe (even thought I think the color stats changing when they are about two and a half months old, so not sure when it changes completely), and they also change the color of the eyes from completely black to only the black iris, and kind of brown around the iris.
I've already read about this recently, just can't remember exactly right now blush.gif

Regards,

Dolf

#18 brandylaw

brandylaw

FREEZE! Put your hands up and slowly back away from the bird

• Members
  • 2,616 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:43 PM

Dolf,
Love the pic!!!!
Please keep em coming!!!!

biggrin.gif

You are an inspiration!

#19 Dolf

Dolf

Adv Member

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE (sgtcluck @ Nov 19 2007, 08:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dolf,

You are awesome for taking in all those babies. How many fids do you have in all? Do you let them fly or do you clip them? I can't believe how that ugly but cute baby will grow to have so many colors and be so beautiful. That is all just amazing.

Hi sgtcluck,

I'm not 100% sure what you guys mean by "fids", even thought I've read the word quite a few times on the Forum.
If you mean tamed birds, well, really tamed I'd say only the Quakers. Even thought I've hand fed a male Cockatiel and a male Indian Ring neck before, they are not 100% tamed. Especially since I paired both of them with females of their own species. I hope at least they will be good breeders smile.gif

I don't really like to clip the birds and anyway never did it so far.
Right now I have 17 birds at home (it's an appartment!), and at least a couple of species (Indian ring necks, Senegal parrot) are a bit aggressive towards other smaller species, others are quite wild (Rosellas) so I simply can't let them all fly around, or it could be rather chaotic!
Most of them are in pairs, for breeding.

So, for the moment the only ones who are allowed to fly around every day are the Quakers.

Dolf

#20 Dolf

Dolf

Adv Member

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 November 2007 - 09:18 PM

QUOTE (Carrie~Anne @ Nov 19 2007, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have the utmost respect for people who handfeed chicks from day 1. It is hard work and with some species, the mortality rate is very high. You just have to be very careful and know what you're doing.

Hi Carrie~Anne,

Yes, I agree with you.
If a 2 or 3 weeks old baby bird is still fragile, and needs a great care, I can only imagine how it is for hand feeding a bird since day 1!
I never tried yet, feel I need much more experience with a few weeks older birds before I feel comfortable assuming that kind of responsability. And it's not for soon. Unless an emmergency would happen on my pairs and I was really forced to try to save such a young bird.
So I can only respect people who do it in a serious manner.

But when I talked about this before I was mainly talking about some theories that defend humans shouldn't hand feed baby birds and should let the parents take care of the babies alone.
Some people defend that this intervention from humans is not specially beneficial for the birds, and also not necessary as they defend we can always tame a bird, no matter how old and wild he is.
I guess they are partially right, but in some cases, if people don't take care of them, some parent either don't take care of the babies, or even hurt (and kill) them!

Some people also defend that hand fed birds usually don't make good breeders, and some even say that those parents who don't know how to take care of their babies, or kill them, that's because they were hand fed!

I hope not, because I'd love that either Mouth the female Quaker, or Garfield the male Indian Ring neck, will become good breeders, and good parents in the future smile.gif

Dolf

PS: For all the others posting, thank you very much for the kind words smile.gif

And by the way, Happy Birthday xerxeys mama wink.gif

Regards,

Dolf