MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Iggy My New Friend

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Iggy Ruby and a fox

Iggy Ruby and a fox

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

I promised some pictures so here they are. Tell me what you think of his cage and stuff. Sorry they are sideways.

Attached Files

#2 MrsBlackjack

MrsBlackjack

Adv Member

• Members
  • 168 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:08 AM

Now that looks like one very happy birdy, congratulations and welcome :)

#3 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

Iggy is a handsome Quaker! :)

#4 MagicTearz

MagicTearz

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

that looks like quaker paradise to me thats one very lucky and happy looking quaker

#5 Iggy Ruby and a fox

Iggy Ruby and a fox

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 04 March 2012 - 11:18 PM

Thank you ^ ^ he does seem to be happy. His birthday is June 1st and we just got him less than a week ago. Poor baby got passed by for almost a year in an acrylic box in a pet store. Was crabby and very bitey. Even the most of the employees didn't want to get him out to let people play with him. Right out of the pet store he is really turning around and is not really biting anymore just nipping on occasion and it isn't that hard to deal with (even when he tries really hard it's easy to ignore it which sometimes makes him more mad then he gives up). I will post more pictures pretty often on here so peak at the thread if it pops up again.

#6 headfeathermistress

headfeathermistress

Adv Member

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:42 AM

Great little bird and awesome cage! I am glad you gave the bitey bird a chancePosted Image

#7 jaytee

jaytee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 04:50 AM

I promised some pictures so here they are. Tell me what you think of his cage and stuff. Sorry they are sideways.
Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image Posted Image

Iggy looks very content, but I would add a few more perches, and toys in his cage.

I'm curious about the bar spacing, it looks rather large. Recommended spacing for a QP is 1/2"- 5/8", the spacing of those bars looks closer to 1". Also, all the bars are vertical, so perches, and ladders would make moving about, throughout the cage, easier. ;)

I don't see a food, or water dish. Posted Image

Edited by jaytee, 05 March 2012 - 05:03 AM.

#8 Iggy Ruby and a fox

Iggy Ruby and a fox

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:47 AM

He has a food and water dish and a water bottle. He drinks our of the water bottle more than the dish and I will be adding more things as I get more money. I didn't want to cramp it and I didn't want to make it difficult to retrieve him if there was a lot of stuff. He is able to climb all around on the walls and there are black ladders in the back that go from his main perch to the floor of his cage and another one that is there just to play on like a swing sort of but it's a ladder lol. The bar spacing is 5/8 and I made sure he couldnt get his head through or stuck. Still going to add a few more perches, but they only had three left of the size I needed and I had one already. I took this picture the same day I got him and I didn't want to overwhelm him with stuff because in his foot and a half by foot and a half box all he had was driftwood a swing and a whiffle ball type toy with a bell in it.

I'll show you the food and water set up after the sun is all the way up and he wakes up.

I'm going to add more in the lower right with rope perches and I'm going to put in a few branch perches soon too. Couldn't find any nice ones. They were all whittled and are boring and straight with a small y at the end. I can't use the edit feature on the device I'm using so I'm sorry about making to posts. Maybe they will automerge I'll find out in a second lol.

Yep lol

#9 headfeathermistress

headfeathermistress

Adv Member

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 07:51 AM

Lots of room for goodies in that cage. Maybe some platform perches, a bed....chew toys etcPosted Image

#10 Iggy Ruby and a fox

Iggy Ruby and a fox

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 08:05 AM

Ya I want to get him some little platform things with a good crunchy toy lol. Like those woven paper ones. I'll take a picture of his current toys. He gets new ones this Wednesday. I think though I will just put them where he can see them so he can get used to them without switching out his toys cause all he has had his whole life is a whiffle ball thing so he hasn't really played with any of the toys. I saw him picking for a few seconds at one of them. I want him to get comfortable with those first before I change them (and I'll leave one of them in there that he is used to so he has something to play with until he likes the other ones). By bed do you mean those "cozy corners" or the same thing but a tent or whatever? I was going to get him some more stuff that day, but he was really over priced at $350. I could have gone to a nice pet store a little ways away and gotten one from people who know what they are doing for the proper price. I felt so bad for him though. I'm happy he is so much happier here and is much more friendly. I thought I was going to have to work really hard to fix him like I had to my rescued grey.

#11 Iggy Ruby and a fox

Iggy Ruby and a fox

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

More pictures! The black dish thing is the food and you can see the water bottle near it. The water bowl is on the right side of the cage. Is there anything that quakers in general like or is it purely bird to bird taste?

Attached Files

#12 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

They are individuals, and what one likes, another might hate. You have to just go with trial and error to figure out Iggy's particular taste. I have one who loves to weave shoelaces around in her cage, and bells. If it's got a bell, she wants it. My other Quaker doesn't like toys that are noisy. He wants beads or plastic links. He hates swings; she likes them. Both have happy huts (those are those fleecy tents -- get large for a Quaker). Jade chewed a hole in the side of hers for a window and is prone to going into the tent and popping her head out the window. :lol: Clyde wants his to be quiet and dark because it's his hidey hole.

#13 headfeathermistress

headfeathermistress

Adv Member

• Members
  • 715 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 02:02 PM

My quaker does not like a tent but uses a snuggle wring with fleece

#14 Iggy Ruby and a fox

Iggy Ruby and a fox

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 05:11 PM

I'll have to test and see. He likes to snuggle up to where the two rope perches meet in the back and likes to sleep with his tail over the top of the higher one which I find odd lol.

#15 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 March 2012 - 06:16 PM

My tiel Freddie crawls under his newspaper and leaves just the tip of his tail hanging out. Then he sits under there and says "pretty baby" and whistles Beethoven. He has a happy hut, but it's mostly something to chew on. They're all weird in their own special way.

#16 Haibane

Haibane

Adv Member

• Members
  • 70 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:13 AM

They've all got their idiosyncrasies. Koko sleeps wrapped up in a "blanket". Its a piece of fleece with fringe cut on the side hanging from a SS ring, draped over a perch he likes. He pops his head out in the morning and says "Good morning sweetheart!" He HATES swings or anything that swings. He loves to tie and untie knots. Anything that can be tied in a knot is good. He is afraid of new toys though- so anything new has to go through a whole process. I've even taken things out of his house to fix, and put them back looking like they did before they were broken and had him flip out. Any kind of perch is generally accepted right away, though.

Good for you, getting this little one out of a bad situation.

#17 Iggy Ruby and a fox

Iggy Ruby and a fox

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

I haven't really noticed anything yet cause he still has to get used to some of the toys. He's so smart though. It only took him a day to learn how to drink out of a water bottle (like a hamster one but bird safe metals) and he is already saying step up (not very clearly but getting there) and he knows how I say uh oh and ow lol (learned at the pet store) and he has learned how to make little kissy noises and clicks that I make when we kiss him. So good a little boy (maybe lol).

I too am happy that he has been saved when I could have bought a little baby from a good place for cheaper. I would have just felt to guilty.

I have been getting him to eat pellets (was on all seeds at the pet store) but only if I soak them so they are soft and add a little juice to make them taste better. He will actually get cranky of we don't get him breakfast in one in the morning lol. His breakfast is apple strings, carrot strings and spinach so far. Sometimes some grapes.

More pictures tonight or tomorrow.