MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

QTTP4me

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 QTQP4me

QTQP4me

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 06:13 PM

1. What is your first name and location? kris, watertown wi

2. What do you do for a living? i work for public health (the women, infant and children *WIC* program)

3. What are your (other!) hobbies? shopping, garage sales, boating

4. Share something interesting about you. huh. i dunno. i love love LOVE techy gadgets

5. What is your biggest passion within the subject of birds/bird keeping? increasing my knowledge base so i can help others as i have been helped

6. What species are your birds, and how did they get their names? captain louie (aka LOUIE or LOU) - green quaker, named by his previous people; azul (aka ZUZU) - blue quaker, he's blue, so...; goofy (aka GOOF) - congo african grey (CAG), came to us already named, and lives up to his name on a daily basis.

7. What is the favorite toy for your flock? lou likes baby keys and to shred, so he gets adding machine tape. zuzu likes things with bells, and he beats them up regularly. goofy likes to chew, so he gets lots of wood block toys.

8. What is your flock’s favorite food? the quakers love scrambled eggs (wish i could serve them more than a couple times a week) and goofy loves him some burritos or toast.

9. Share a favorite bird story. recently i told louie he could be mistaken as a little psychotic if one didn't know him better. he said, "aww" then laughed like a maniac.

10. How long have you been keeping birds? lou has been with us since late august of 2007, goof since thanksgiving of 2007, and zuzu since about a year ago. the time has surely flown by :)

11. What sparked your interest in them? we went on vacation and met Bird, a CAG, who stole our hearts. we came home and researched the different species, determined to get a CAG. we decided a quaker was more our speed (less demanding you know) and i found louie online. the rest is history :)

kris

#2 jaytee

jaytee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:31 PM

recently i told louie he could be mistaken as a little psychotic if one didn't know him better. he said, "aww" then laughed like a maniac.

:lol:

#3 Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne

"The Sound of Birds Stops The Noise In My Mind"

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:33 PM

Another techy gadget lover!!! :lol:

Kris, can you tell the story of how you aquired Goofy? Do you know much about his history and how old he is?

#4 QTQP4me

QTQP4me

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 07:49 PM

we got lou at the end of august. by thanksgiving (late november) we had goof. well, i'd say early november actually, because i quarantined for 2 weeks (no comments :blush: it was in his best interest as i had guests, and one of the guests was a mouthy little boy and i didn't want him terrorizing the bird upstairs) and he came downstairs at thanksgiving. i was checking out the pets section on craigslist, as i sometimes do, and found an ad for a CAG for $500. i showed ian the ad and he was very interested. we called the number and i talked with goofy's parront for over an hour about diet, lifestyle, just BSing in general. 3 days later we went to meet him and bring him home. he came with his travel cage, his regular cage, all his toys and all his food, and a playstand.

they live about an hour from us (south milwaukee), and goofy's mom had developed serious respiratory issues from his dander. they had hepa filters in almost every room in the house and she still couldn't breathe. it was explained that goofy was handraised by a breeder, then went home with craig. aside from us and the breeder, craig is the only other parront he's had. i'm not sure of his birthday and he's not banded, but he's about as old as the girl, so 15-16. i think it was really just dumb luck that we got such an awesome bird for a great adoption fee, and he's such a character. i think the reason craig chose us as goofy's new parronts was because our lifestyle was very similar to his - working full time, another animal in the house, etc.

the first week he was home, i bent over to get some newspapers to change his cage and he made that "beep beep beep" backup sound that trucks make. that was quite the ego boost LOL. then a week later when i was gonna bring him downstairs with the rest of us, he would not step up for me from his cage, so i left the room. i could see him thru a gap in the sliding door, and he came out, looked around, then said, 'uh oh!" do you know how hard it is to laugh quietly?

i did get an email from craig about 6 months later to see how goof was settling in. i gladly emailed him back with a detailed description of how he was adapting, and i haven't heard from him since. i think i understand why - goof was his fid, and it was probably too hard emotionally.

#5 Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne

"The Sound of Birds Stops The Noise In My Mind"

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 08:01 PM

It reminds me of how I got Tiko. It's a beautiful story, but a tough one. I'm glad that Goofy fit in so well with you and your family. I must of forgot that you got Goofy right after I got Tiko, and in such a familiar manner.

How's he doing now? Does he have a large vocabulary? Is he friendly with all, or just one?

#6 QTQP4me

QTQP4me

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,134 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 07:12 PM

he's more of a sound FX guy than a talker, but he can say stuff. he says, "come on goof" and "booger booger" (which used to be the F bomb). sound effects include robot sounds, different theme songs, various fart sounds, animal sounds.

he's very social and will go to anyone who will keep a hand or arm out for him to step onto, and he loves shoulder riding. he's bitten ian once or twice, me never and the girl never. we had some issues in the beginning where he would simply not come out of his cage at night to hang out, and it was very frustrating. i also think it was a trust issue maybe, because while he can still be stubborn, he typically comes out and climbs onto the floor and steps up from there.

he's supposed to be ian's bird, but we all know how that works out, huh? this bird regurgitates for me every morning when i give breakfast, when i give dinner, and sometimes at random times for the girl (who is completely grossed out by that). and ian has very little success getting goofy to step up for him, ever. LOL.

kris