MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Pumpkin Recipe Wanted

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_GrumpyBirds_*

Guest_GrumpyBirds_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:56 AM

I have lots of pumpkin, but no recipe. I had two really good ones that my birds loved. Anyone have one that we could use, my birdies would be so happy?

#2 Bird Brain

Bird Brain

Adv Member

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 19 October 2006 - 09:51 AM

Here's one from the book I mentioned on the other thread (The Healthy Bird Cookbook)

Pumpkin Apple Muffins
4 pkgs cornbread mix
1 pkg frozen collard greens (can use spinach or mustard greens)
4 eggs with shells (washed)
1 cup plain yogurt with live cultures dry.gif
1-2 cups cooked squash, yams or pumpkin
1/2 cup chopped apple
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup fresh berries (if in season)
1/2 cup ground almonds
1 cup Kaytee pellets (I, personally, prefer Zupreem wink.gif )
Carrot juice as needed

Preheat over to 375 F
Blend yogurt, egss and greens until it becomes a liquid. Mix all the remaining ingredients. If the mixture is too dry, add carrot juice a little at a time until it has the consistency of cornbread. Bake for 35 - 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Sounds good enough to eat laugh.gif

If anyone makes this, let me know how it comes out.

Here's another one from the same book

Pumpkin Seed Risotta

1 cup arberior rice
1-2 zucchini, cut into pieces
2-4 tbs. olive oil
1 cup raw pumpkin seeds
2-4 tbs. parmesan cheese

In a large pan, heat the olive oil. Add the rice and cook until the grains take on a translucent appearance around the edges. Reduce the heat and add 2 cups of the vegetable broth. Stir and cook until most of the broth is reduced. Add another cup of broth. Keep doing this until rice can no longer absorb the broth. In the microwave, cook the zucchini until done. Add to the rice, mixing often. Add the pumpkin seeds, mixing well. Spoon into your bird's food cup and sprinkle with cheese.

OK. I typed this VERBATIM from the book. I even triple checked it. Where does the vegetable broth come from? I wonder if you just used canned broth? That's so high in sodium. I dunno. What do y'all think?

#3 Guest_GrumpyBirds_*

Guest_GrumpyBirds_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 October 2006 - 10:14 AM

Thank You for posting these... I will def. try the first one. It sounds a lot easier to make and I must admit Im not that good in the kitchen.

The second one , im unsure of. I have heard that a little cheese is okay, but too much can create a problem. The broth does come in low sodium, but in my opinion thats still too much. Olive Oil is good for us, but is it good for Quakers? I have used apple sauce in place of when possible.