MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Having To Give Up A Bird

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#21 NewsWrthy

NewsWrthy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 67 posts

Posted 08 February 2008 - 10:36 PM

I can surely relate. There seems to be a block between Heart and Head some times. As most of my Birds have come to me as rescues, they seldom stay forever. Some times the do. I currently have 6 Rat Terriers, an African Grey who after 10 yrs is finally starting to come around, and the love of my life Felony my QP. It can seem overwhelming at times.

#22 ScarlettAngel

ScarlettAngel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 25 February 2008 - 11:39 PM

Just pokin around the forum and saw this thread. Very impressive. It is very eye-opening when you start to realize you've blurred the line at where to say "no more" and not to forget anymore that you have to care for yourself too.

Several years ago I worked in the clinic of my county's animal control facility and every day i went to work it was a constant battle not to take home more and more needy animals. Especially when it was litterally a situation of, this one can't go out for adoption, if nobody here will take him, it's off to the euthanasia room. This is how i got my very first cat, Vianne. I can truly say i saved her as she was scheduled to go down about 2 hrs before i piped up and said, no way! She's mine.

When I started there i had 2 pet rats, then took home the cat and things just escalated from there. At one point i had 9 rats, 3 mice, 2 hermit crabs, 10 gal fish tank with too many critters in it, 3 foster cats, and i was also fostering wild baby grackels. Nearly all of my free time was spent feeding and cleaning. It was very expensive and down right exhausting. I eventually had to rehome 5 of my ratties which really broke my heart, especially Pixie my old girl that was one of my original crew. Some died naturally, and a few i euthanized due to old age and severe health problems. (not from lack of care, mind you--i was adament about vet care for everyone who needed it)

As time wore on and my number of animals dwindled, i didn't replace any of them. Eventually, just 2 yrs ago, i found myself down to my one cat, Vianne, who i will never give up no matter what. It was just me and her for awhile, which while i desperately missed my ratties, especially my old big male Elliott, it was somewhat of a relief also to have all that pressure of responsibility off my shoulders. I would take Vianne with me everywhere and it was easy just me and her. To the beach, walks downtown on the avenue, road-trips to South Carolina to see my sister, shopping, walks through the neighborhood, etc., it was great!

Eventually Pugsly found his way to me and i just happened to have an empty bird cage from my previous bird fostering, then my little abandoned Panda Bear found me and i couldn't say no. Fortunately, I work for a veterinarian so this was an ideal find for him since he has health problems and he's no cheap free cat off the streets. I'm lucky that because of my job i can adequately take care of my pets and not have to worry about costs and i know that's not the case for every pet owner. But i also realize that since taking in 2 more pets i have taken time away from Vianne. She has gained a playmate when i'm at work, but lost her training sessions with me that she enjoyed so much. I'm truly at my limit, especially since i like to travel and its not always easy to find someone willing to watch my bird if i can't take him with. Now when ppl ask me if i want another pet, i just say "no way, too much poop!" tongue.gif

#23 Mr Ed

Mr Ed

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 January 2009 - 03:42 PM

As a member of a parrot rescue that took in over 100 parrots last year and found forever homes for 83 of them I know the pain of seeing a bird in need. I also know the pain of watching a bird that you have grown attached to go out the door to it's new home. Each of us can only care for a finite number of animals. This is different for each of us and we just have to be able to tell when we have reached that limit

We currently have 7 birds, 2 of which are foster fids. We also have 2 dogs, one of which our daughter brought home with her after Hurricane Katrina. 

I totaly admire those volunteers who have no fids of their own but foster one or more birds and give thim up to a new forever home when the time comes. They shed tears when they leave. Tears of sorrow to see them leave and tears of joy to see them get a new home.

#24 Andie Wan Kenobi

Andie Wan Kenobi

White & Nerdy

• Forum Manager
  • 9,914 posts

Posted 30 January 2009 - 12:29 AM

I have waited a long time to post in this thread. For those who don't know me, I used to breed and raise parrots. At one time I had 40 some parrots in a 1030 sqft house, I lived in the attic, and it was like a loft apartment about 300 sqft with my dogs and cats. Everything on the main floor was bird occupied with breeders or babies and a few were my pets. I had changed gears and sold all the breeders (that didn't pass away) or traded them for babies, sold all the babies and got down to just my pets and rescues after a couple "Bad Bird Deals". Axel (my boyfriend) and I talked about the number of birds in the house and felt that I was stretching myself thin, while starting to raise wallaroos. Shortly after I had almost lost my home, my pets, just about everything due to the previously mentioned "deals". I then re-homed all of them but the super 7. Unfortunately I lost one of the "keepers" to a mutilation that had become infected and am currently at 6. It is a good number, but I will get another blue quaker at some point smile.gif . I will do a few rescues/foster/re-homes (but very few), for people I know. Mom and I have the colony of quakers in her back yard, and will keep up with that and raise the chicks if there are any...and that is that.

It's easy to get over your head, and have great plans to do good and fight evil...but I have to remember, I AM ONLY HUMAN! I am not a super hero (though I try to play one in my own mind)and I have limits...and I am there. I still have too many for Axel's comfort. BUT things are pretty good where they are, and I still have a lot of animals, but I'm ok with it. smile.gif IT's a managable number for me, as the Seniors pass on, I don't think I'll be getting new pets and we'll just let the numbers go down. I know I'll always have a couple of dogs and the birds and maybe a ferret or two, but no more than I have now (and no more kitties, I love them but they are deadly to the roos).

This is a great thread, and the point I'm trying to get to is yes, birds/pets are addictive and we let them fill the broken places in our lives, and it's euphoric. But like any drug, you hit rock bottom and it's from that point you find out what you're truly made of and what your limits in the physical world are. There is always help, and here on this forum it's available. smile.gif

#25 CarleyJean

CarleyJean

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:20 PM

I just had to rehome a bird. He was a dusky conure and unfortunately, I did not know how loud and high his scream would be before I purchased him from someone on Craigs List. I have a cockatiel, blue crown conure and a Quaker. The dusky would scream ALL day and set off all the other birds and I noticed that just from the duskies noise, I was slowly losing me hearing. He was alos incredibly agressive with the other birds and their cages and he began to bite hard and remove chunks of flesh. I had him for two years and just could not take it any longer and my other birds became aggressive with me and him. Luckily, I have a friend who has birds as well and took him home. The good news is he is next to her patagonian conure and they are great friends and everything worked out. Now my home is quieter and calmer for everyone but I do miss my dusky. It's never easy to rehome a fid.