MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Bird Nesting Toys

quaker

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 johnathandancer

johnathandancer

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

since i read about how quakers are nesting birds. Does anyone have an idea of how to make a toy that satisfies a quakers nesting needs? or is the cage good enough buy itself? or is there a toy i can buy? i've seen many little fabric "tents" for quakers. do they like those? Please help!

Cheers,

Johnathan Dancer

#2 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:20 PM

I think nearly everyone here has a 'happy hut' for their parrot to hide and/or sleep in. My QP loves her happy hut and will eat me if I touch it. It's medium sized, here's a link:

http://www.petsmart....oductId=2751034

Many of the forum members give their QPs things to 'build' or 'weave' into their cages. My bird loves strips of newspaper, and envelopes. Other people use plastic straws, popsicle sticks, and similar. Some QPs will love doing this, others couldn't care less and ignore the materials.

oh, and one other tip. I put her happy hut at an angle...not back to front, and not side to side, but sort of diagonal. That way if she wants quiet time to nap, she can slide back a little in it and be alone/unstimulated by sights...and if she wants to peek out, she can just slide forward a bit to check things out.

#3 johnathandancer

johnathandancer

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 12:49 PM

I think nearly everyone here has a 'happy hut' for their parrot to hide and/or sleep in. My QP loves her happy hut and will eat me if I touch it. It's medium sized, here's a link:

http://www.petsmart....oductId=2751034

Many of the forum members give their QPs things to 'build' or 'weave' into their cages. My bird loves strips of newspaper, and envelopes. Other people use plastic straws, popsicle sticks, and similar. Some QPs will love doing this, others couldn't care less and ignore the materials.

oh, and one other tip. I put her happy hut at an angle...not back to front, and not side to side, but sort of diagonal. That way if she wants quiet time to nap, she can slide back a little in it and be alone/unstimulated by sights...and if she wants to peek out, she can just slide forward a bit to check things out.

Wow thanks ! i think i will get him/her the happy hut and try putting some materials in there and see if he/she likes to build or just prefers the hut! Thanks for the advice. I am trying to take all the precautions to have a very happy and comfortable bird once i finally get to bring it home.

#4 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 11 July 2013 - 08:07 PM

There are a few accomplished builders among the Quakers on the Forum-- Spiggy is one of the best, and Oscar is another impressive builder. Here are some posts that show their construction projects:

http://www.quakerpar...ing#entry631719
http://www.quakerpar...ing#entry634883

A few QPs are like Ralph, who loves to arrange and rearrange sticks-- thin wooden dowels, about 6" to 8" long, in Ralph's case. He doesn't seem to want to build an actual nest though. And there are lots of QPs who have no interest in building at all. Offer your parrot some building materials, and see what happens. Posted Image

#5 Bene_Gesserit

Bene_Gesserit

Adv Member

• Members
  • 612 posts

Posted 12 July 2013 - 09:15 AM

johnathandancer: I forgot one other tip. Most QP's chew through the black cord that the happy hut hangs from, and I lost the use of our first happy hut because I couldn't hang it any longer. I forget which person here suggested this, but this tip has worked very well!

When you get the happy hut, buy a women's 'hair scrunchy.' Cut it in half, and take the elastic center out of it. Use the two halves of the fabric to cover the two black cords (make sure there are no loose strings on the cut scrunchy, as those can easily get wrapped around little toes and amputate or cut off circulation.) This will prevent your baby from chewing through the cord...when s/he tries to chew it, all that will be damaged is the 'scrunchy' fabric.

#6 ittlbittlbre

ittlbittlbre

Adv Member

• Members
  • 58 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:06 PM

I went to Pet Smart today to pick up a few things before my baby comes home and found this adorable coconut shell toys and on the package it said for nesting bc they like to peal the shell and it had a dual purpose to hold treats or what have you. I am just learning like you, but thought you might find that helpful. -Certain toys could help.

#7 johnathandancer

johnathandancer

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 July 2013 - 12:14 PM

I went to Pet Smart today to pick up a few things before my baby comes home and found this adorable coconut shell toys and on the package it said for nesting bc they like to peal the shell and it had a dual purpose to hold treats or what have you. I am just learning like you, but thought you might find that helpful. -Certain toys could help.

Well thank you so much! I have been learning as well and any help will work. We ordered Kevin a happy hut. but it says not to leave him unattended with it. So that makes me a little nervous. I will have to go check these coconut things out!
  • ittlbittlbre likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: quaker