MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

To Know Me Is To Love Me :)

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 julsiebean

julsiebean

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 07:25 AM

1. What is your first name and general location?

I live in the Blue Ridge Mountains of NC. My name is Julie.

2. What do you do for a living?

Right now I am a stay at home mom, I am also a full time college student. It is a lot harder the second time around! Ha!

3. What are your (other!) hobbies?

I love to cook, bake, read, write, and restore old furniture. Right now my children are young and keep me very busy so most of that has taken a backseat for now!

4. Share something interesting about you.

I don't think there is anything even remotely interesting about me. I am about as boring, normal, and average as you get. Kinda sad, huh?

5. What is your biggest passion within the subject of birds/bird keeping?

I really think people need to understand the gravity of responsibility and dedication it takes to have "fids". Nothing in the world compares to the love and friendship a bird can give you, but there is so much to consider. There needs to be realistic, unbiased advice out there for people researching birds to have as pets.

6. What species are your birds, and how did they get their names?

I have a small flock right now, just a male cockatiel named Piccolo and my new QP (Basil or Juniper, depending on DNA results). I've had budgies, a jenday, and recently lost my female cockatiel Clementine. Piccolo got his name because he has the most glossy, sweet, bright singing which reminded me of the runs I would play when I play Piccolo! He is a grouchy ol'man but we love him anyway and he still sings to us :) Our new QP was such a lovely, unexpected addition I thought Basil for a boy. When cooking I like to throw in some basil as a fresh, unexpected flavor! Juniper just becase I love the smell of fresh juniper. We shall see!

7. What is the favorite toy for your flock?

Piccolo goes SERIOUSLY crazy over balls tied together and hung in his cage. He goes ballistic on them and won't stop until they are all defeated. Then he looks at me like, seriosuly? What are you waiting for? Hang them again woman! Silly boy. So far the only thing my QP is interested in are my rings. Not a toy dear!

8. What is your flock's favorite food?

Piccolo loves cockatiel crack- millet! He has never taken to fruits and veggies, so millet is a special treat. He tweets and chirps happily for hours after a little snackaroo! The QP seems to really love apples. It likes to sneak a sip of my chai too.

9. Share a favorite bird story.

Piccolo does this cute little thing where if you whistle in rythem and move your finger up and down he will bob his head and "dance" and whistle back the same to you. It delights both of my children endlessly. Recently my almost two year old was standing at the big window in the living room, stuck out his finger and was going "woo woo woo woo" to the birds on our birdfeeder! He thought all birds should do Piccolo's silly trick! Gave me a good laugh :)

10. How long have you been keeping birds?

We had parakeets on and off during my childhood but as an adult about 5/6 years?

11. What sparked your interest in them?

I've always loved birds. I finally got to a place in my life I knew I could handle a flock of my own.

Edited by julsiebean, 30 March 2011 - 07:27 AM.

#2 murph

murph

Adv Member

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 30 March 2011 - 09:12 PM

well "TO KNOW ME IS TO LOVE ME"(julie)welcome to the forum.i don't think your average or boring :lol: i found your autobiography VERY INTERESTING (lol)again welcome to the forum!

#3 Diane Doolittle

Diane Doolittle

Adv Member

• Members
  • 512 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 05:34 AM

Nice getting to know you Julie! Just one more question.............what is "normal"?:blush: :lol:

#4 julsiebean

julsiebean

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 06:44 AM

Haha, what is normal indeed! :) I guess I feel invisable most of the time, kind of like a faceless person in the crowd. Never been one of those "moment in the sun" people. Thanks for the warm welcomes!! :wub:

#5 MsViv

MsViv

Adv Member

• Members
  • 68 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:14 PM

Nice getting to know you Julie! Just one more question.............what is "normal"?:blush: :lol:

My mom always said "normal" is a setting on the washing machine. :lol: