MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Wardy

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Wardy

Wardy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 195 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 12:13 AM

1. What is your first name and general location?
Neil & I live in Brisbane (Southside), Queensland, Australia.

2. What do you do for a living?

I am the State Account Manager for a POS company (I sell the registers/scales/software to companies like Woolworths / Tesco / Walmart, etc).

3. What are your (other!) hobbies?

Photography, Travelling, Culinary Tragic, Technology, Cricket, making home movies & soundtracks (as per my uploads to YouTube)

4. Share something interesting about you.
Well I think I'm a Funny Bugger (yeah right said my wife! Posted Image) & like most Aussies I have a cheeky nature and a quick whit but mostly I take the "Mickey out of myself" before I feel I have the right to even start on someone else! Posted Image I am Country born / City raised so I had the best of both worlds when growing up. Driving machinery since I was 9, cars since I was 11 & Semis at 13.
5. What is your biggest passion within the subject of birds/bird keeping?
Learning from the birds themselves. To try different things to see how good/bad their reactions are but not too frequently. I know my QP isn't up for that many changes too often but anything that promotes good health & a loving relationship between bird and person has to be a good thing! :)

6. What species are your birds, and how did they get their names?

We have 1 x Blue Quaker, Max & 2 Bush Budgies Billy (Blue) & KD (formerly Katie...Green & Yellow) that my wife owns.

7. What is the favorite toy for your flock?

Max hasn't decided on a favourite yet. He pretty much plays with everything!

8. What is your flock's favorite food?

Sunflower Seeds without a doubt. Still getting him slowly on to other Fresh Fruit & Veg.

9. Share a favorite bird story.

I used to breed budgies for years when I was younger but gave it away when I was 20 due to travelling for work. The best story I really have was buying 4 Budgies off a elderly Gentleman years ago. When I took them to the Vet he was amazed at the colour, markings and size of the birds (he was a breeder himself I found out later) & he asked how much I paid for them. I told him the princely sum of $50 (a lot for a 15 year old kid in the '80's!) for all 4 birds. It looked like he was almost going to cry when I asked "why?" as I thought there was something really wrong! I was about to freak out when he said that the Male Budgie (Pepe) was a breeding champion worth $500 alone! Posted Image The female was also a breeding champion worth another $400.

Well I told my Dad & we went back to the gentleman who sold them to me the next day & I told him he had given me the wrong birds or I had to pay him more. The gentleman just smiled & looked at my Dad & said,"No I gave you the right birds." so when I queried him as to why he said that & what the Vet had told me, he said that nobody had ever been able to handle the Large Yellow Male until the day I walked into the Avery. Pepe had flown straight to my shoulder & his breeding partner onto the other shoulder (hence part of the reason why I chose them).

He said the only other person they had done that to was his wife who had passed away 2 yrs earlier. In his own way he said he felt like his wife was telling him to sell them to me as he was getting to old to just let them suffer or go to the wrong home if he ever passed away (he was in his 70's I knew that much). I was probably too young at the time to fully appreciate what he had said but I knew enough to understand what he was conveying to me. All he said was breeding is a joy that is not counted in the $$ you make but the faces of people when a bird chooses them & they go home with a smile on their face from ear to ear.

Dad & I then went home and made some new nesting boxes up for the gent & returned to his place 2 weeks later to give them as a gift. We were shocked to find the Avery empty and a man in his mid 40's standing in it wearing a suit. Dad asked where Ted was and the man replied,"I'm Ted's son, Dad passed away 3 days ago & I'm here to organise his estate".

To this day I can remember feeling so sad that afternoon but every time I looked at Pepe after that I am sure I could see him smiling at me..... strange, but true. To round off this story, the next year we had over 20 pairs of Budgies breeding in a big old Cabling reel that was approx 9' high but 2' was buried in the ground. We kept Pepe & his mate separate from the others and we sold all their weaned offspring for nearly $1000 (4 young @ $250 each) to other breeders. My Dad suggested something that took me by surprise. He said since I had been "given a gift" by Ted I should repay it. So we went to our local Pet Store and bought a small statue of a Budgie and took it to Ted's grave and left it there. I went back 10 years ago and it's was still there. I wonder if it is now?
To this day I really think this is one of my biggest life's lesson I have learnt. Karma is a good & wonderful thing if it repaid in kind. If there is a chance to make someone smile for no reason, it's worth it!

10. How long have you been keeping birds?

Bred Budgies from the age of 10 -20. I have only recently (6 moths ago) I have had the opportunity to get back into birds since we found out we can't have children. Our birds are our babies now. :)

11. What sparked your interest in them?

They are lively, each have their own personality and they are just gorgeous to watch & interact with. Coming from the bush birds were part of our everyday life from the Magpies in the morning to the Kookaburras and Pigeon's at the dam in the afternoons. We used to watch all the animal life on the farm come down for a drink at sunset so I guess I really tried to bring a bit of the bush to the city.

~The End~

#2 Cooper's Mommy

Cooper's Mommy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 513 posts

Posted 28 April 2011 - 05:38 PM

What a lovely story, thanks for sharing that with us :)

#3 murph

murph

Adv Member

• Members
  • 299 posts

Posted 29 May 2011 - 08:06 PM

i agree wholeheartedly!!!! what a BEAUTIFUL STORY :wub: