MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

What Does Anyone Know About Goffin Cockatoos?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 11:11 AM

As some of you know, I signed up to be a foster mom for the rescue org that I adopted Mr P from.

Originally, I signed up due to a hoarding issue in Tampa. The Rescue took in over 50 birds and needed homes for them. I was originally thinking I would get a lovebird (or bonded pair) from this intake.

Happily enough, all the birds from this hoarding case have been taken into foster homes already.

The next bird on the list that desperately needs a foster is a Goffin cockatoo.

I used to rescue unwanted birds  (a long time ago)  and have shared my home with a blue front amazon, a timneh gray, a white capped pionus, a mustache parakeet, some conures, tiels, budgies and various other smaller parrots (a quaker now! ) that I have probably forgotten to mention.

I have never owned, rescued or dealt directly with a Goffin.

Anyone have one? I know they are the smaller sized Too's but that is all I know about them.

I have a feeling I might be taking on more I can handle....I'd love some input from folks that already have one or have had real life experience with one

#2 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:04 PM

Hey Sharyn, so happy to hear the birds from the hoarding rescue found homes so quickly! Wonderful job by everyone involved!

Cockatoos in general tend to be unpredictable, unstable, very needy, loud, hard to feed, expensive to keep and often unhappy in captivity. Those are a few of the reasons so many rescues are filled to overflowing with toos. They are also notorious pluckers and screamers.

Popeye is a six year old male umbrella. I'm his third Mom, he lost his first two homes due to screaming. The goffin's cockatoo is a smaller species, I know several of them and they are little clowns, funny and obnoxious. The toos are one of my favorite species of parrots but I can't tell you they are easy to care for. You've probably heard they are Velcro birds, that makes them popular to buy. They are also stunning to look at. Most aren't known for being great talkers, but they do talk. They tend to be picky eaters as a rule and need a wide variety of foods to stay healthy. They climb like monkeys and need constant foraging opportunities, they can destroy a fifty dollar toy in minutes. They need big roomy cages and a lot of time outside their cage. They produce a lot of dust and most people who keep them with other species use air purifiers for the sake of human family members and other flock members. Even the smaller species have powerful beaks and a bite delivered with intent can cause nerve damage and require stitches. That's some of the basics. They are not for everyone, do a lot of research before you adopt one. That said, I wouldn't hesitate to adopt a goffin's. I love their spirit and sense of adventure. When I adopted Popeye, a lot of people told me I was nuts among other things. I couldn't believe so many people tried to discourage me. Now I understand. I've found almost everything I was told to be true.

I've been studying Cockatoos for nine months now, if I can help, let me know. :) Or maybe I can recommend a good counselor. :)
  • Casey's Mom, Cindi&Jeriel and Sharyn and Mr Piggy like this

#3 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:31 PM

Thanks, Allee.

I was actually hoping to FOSTER, not adopt! LOL

I have contacted the foster coordinator to see if she can find out more info, as in, does it pluck, bite, scream, have behavioral issues or are they just giving it up because it is too time consuming?

According to the spreadsheet which lists birds needing to come into foster, these folks have like 8 birds. I am just wondering if having that many (all big and needy) was too much.

Anyway, thank you for the honest info, I will have to think on this. The next birds on the list are all full sized 'Toos, blue and golds and Amazons. Although I could probably handle the Amazon, I need to make sure my son, (my petsitter) is also capable of handling whatever foster I bring in.

#4 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:51 PM

yes, having eight birds is too much. laugh.png Big and needy or small and needy. That said, cockatoos are awfully cool and I know nothing about them except what I've encountered through other people, but from what I understand, they're very intelligent and his little heart must be sore because two families have already given up on him. 

#5 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 01:58 PM

I wonder how a goffin and Mr P will get along? Obviously the newcomer will be quarrantined and even after quarrantine won't be within reach of Mr P (and visa versa) but still, I couldnt handle it if the 'too screams at Mr P all day long, or Mr P starts mimicking the 'Too's scream!

OMG I'm getting a headache just thinking about it

I guess I will wait and see what the foster coordinator says about the reasons they are giving the goffin up. I think I read there were actually 2 (not a bonded pair)

Thanks for the input :)

#6 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 04:18 PM

I think having a cockatoo would be very challenging. That said, they are gorgeous birds with a wonderful spirit. They are just very, very, VERY needy of time and attention.

• Sharyn and Mr Piggy likes this

#7 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:00 PM

I really admire all the people who work with fosters. I get too attached. I can't imagine saying goodby to them. It is so rewarding to watch them respond to love and attention.

Sharyn, I was really surprised at how easily Harry accepted Popeye. She's had a crush on him since the first day. He steps out on his balcony like a rock star and she greets him with, "pretty, pretty bird," and usually a wolf whistle. If one of them cries like a baby, so does the other. They do spend a lot of time chattering together in their indoor voices, though. If Popeye gets too loud, Harry screams like a tortured cat. They don't scream at each other. Popeye flock calls a few times in the morning and evening and the other birds ignore him. We tried moving Popeye to the living room, thinking he would be happier but he had a complete cockatoo meltdown and we moved him back to the bird room the same day. :) He loves the little guys. That's not to say all birds get along. I know a female goffin's that detests other birds.

Siobhan, cockatoos are so emotional. For the first three months Popeye was here he was so sad most of the time. It must be very confusing for them to lose their home and people they are bonded to.

#8 Jan Cullen

Jan Cullen

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 06:12 PM

Sharyn, do your homework on this and if you have any doubt whatsoever, then dont take the bird on.  Having said that, sometimes it is good to challenge ourselves with an animal that needs help.  Only you can make the decision.  Good luck with whatever you decide.  We will all support you.

• msdani1981 and Sharyn and Mr Piggy like this

#9 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 07:10 PM

Never having had a cockatoo or a macaw, I find the thought of the challenge intriguing.

HOWEVER, I am also practical!

So, I will just wait to hear what the foster coordinator finds out about this guy (or girl)

Allee, I have never fostered before. I am counting on being practical enough not to get attached to any bird that I foster.

The last time I went thru this "rescue" phase, I wound up KEEPING almost every bird I brought home!

In hindsight, it was unfair to the birds as I couldnt give them the time and attention they needed.

I do not want to make that same mistake. I have heard that cockatoos (no matter what size) are EXTREMELY NEEDY birds.

Thanks for everyone's support, I'll keep you all posted :)

In the meantime, just another quick update on Mr and his new cage...HE LOVES IT! I wish I had done this months ago.  He has let me know this week how much he loves his new cage by wanting to come cuddle with me a LOT, and wanting to sing old McDonald with me. I really need to get a video of this somehow...when he is sitting on my hand, he crawls onto my chest, taps his beak against my chin and chirps, until I start singing. It's comical as heck. So far he has not bitten me although I still don't trust him totally around my face.

He does say meow meow during that part of the song, and sometimes he says it repeatedly (like 50 times) during the day for no reason. Guess he likes saying it?

lol guess it's ok to hijack my own thread! :)

• Casey's Mom likes this

#10 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:09 PM

Though they're smaller Cockatoos, Goffin's are known to be "busier" than most types-- they're typically more active climbers and even more intense chewers than the other types. Like most 'Toos, they demand lots of attention and tend to form very strong bonds with their caregivers. They can be noisy, and Goffin's are known to vocalize at night on occasion. They generally have sweet dispositions, but are said to be more challenging to care for than the other kinds of 'Toos.

#11 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 07 May 2014 - 08:29 PM

Thanks for the input, Gary.

Everything I have heard basically is what you are telling me.

On the flip side of this, I have heard that they can be awesome birds, quite the clown and can have incredible personalities.

Taking into consideration that this guy has not had a stable home life (like most rescues) I am assuming in advance there will be behaviorial issues.

I live by myself (except on the weekends) so the only person that will be disturbed is ME, and I work from home so I have the time (at least during the week) to devote. I am concerned with the weekends and I do travel for business which leaves the burden of taking care of the goffin on my son. My son lives in a condo, I know that this is not ideal for such a loud bird.

Plus, my daughter is getting married in Aug and I will be gone for 4 days. I was planning on taking Mr P with me, but I will not be able to cart 2 birds to this wedding, so that is something else to consider before I take on the responsibility.

Thanks again for everyone's input, lots to think about!

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#12 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:04 AM

Since you hijacked your own thread, I'm delighted Mr. P. is enjoying his new cage!

#13 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:29 PM

Update on this, since I see new messages in this thread.....

I have put the whole foster thing on hold until after the summer unless I can foster something in a small enough cage to transport.

I will be traveling for 2 weeks in June for work, Mr P will go my son's place (in his new "mobile home, which is the old cage)

I will be on vacation for a few days beginning of July but then traveling again for work end of July, probably for 2 weeks

Then, my daughter's wedding in Aug which I will once again be traveling with Mr P.

Not only will having a bird the size of a Goffin be impossible to travel with (big cage!) but it's really unfair to a new foster to have him for a few weeks then have someone else he doesnt even know take care of him.

I hate it when I'm this practical but it just doesnt make sense to have a foster right now. After August, I won't be doing any more traveling for at least another 6 months, probably closer to 8.

#14 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:20 PM

For what it's worth, I think your decision is VERY wise. :)

#15 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 04:34 PM

LOL thanks!

I originally signed up to foster something like a budgie, tiel, lovebird, maybe even another quaker, at least something no bigger or needier than a quaker.

A goffin is a far cry from any of those!