MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Stuburn Bird

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Amahri

Amahri

Adv Member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 02:54 PM

Being a bit paranoid about food coloring in the bird food I switched my bird food to the Zupreem pellets that use food coloring. Squeaky eats it and seems to like it, but Izzy won't touch it and its been a week since have given it to them. Shell tries forage through the poop tray for the old food and I've caught her trying to eat her own dried Poo. Nothing I try seems to work. Any suggestions.

#2 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:19 PM

I would mix them together, gradually decreasing the colored pellets.

#3 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 07:43 PM

I was given a small sample of plain Roudybush pellets a while ago, and the only way Ralph would eat them is when they were mixed with his regular ZuPreem Fruit Blend pellets-- just as Dani suggested you try with the plain pellets. You might also try soaking a few of the new ones in spring water or unsweetened fruit juice and offer them when they're a little mushy. Sometimes parrots will try the soaked pellets when they won't touch the same ones dry.

#4 Amahri

Amahri

Adv Member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 08:54 PM

The pet store was out of out the fruit blend for the size that I usually got for the birds that's why I got the colorless pellets. I tried dunking them in water and giving them to her, she just drops it. Do you think shell just eat them if she gets hungry enough after change her tray out?

Edited by Amahri, 07 April 2014 - 08:54 PM.

#5 Fig

Fig

Adv Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:03 AM

They are stubborn, but keep trying. My birds were all on seeds when I got them, but I successfully got them switched over to pellets.

Try mixing the new with the old, gradually decreasing the old. Hopefully, he'll accept it soon enough. Mine all did.

#6 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:14 PM

Mine refuse to touch plain pellets. They insist on the colored ones. I tried everything and finally surrendered. 

#7 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:11 PM

Hello Amahri,
My first parrot was a female quaker with a plucking problem. Her vet suggested colorless pellets. I had to switch her from seed. I buy Zupreem Garden Goodness or the bigger veggie pellets. Harry started eating them softened in water. All my birds eat colorless pellets now, three of them changed from the colored ones. It takes time but it can be done. Dani's method of putting fewer and fewer colored ones in with the others will work, at least for most birds. :)

#8 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 01:12 PM

When Ocho was sick, I bought some Zupreem pellets hoping he would like them. He hadn't eaten in 2 and a half days and was so rapidly losing weight. I put in a seed and honey stick, millet, his regular TOP Pellets, Zupreem fruity, fresh fruits and veggies, and dried fruits and veggies. I just wanted that fluff butt to EAT!! As his condition improved he ate seed first, then millet, and finally his TOP pellets. He totally turned his beak up at the fruity ones. I have this bag of fruity that I didn't really want to waste, so I started adding just a few. He has now decided he likes them and picks them out first! Yesterday I made a batch of birdy cookies with the fruit ones. They look SO MUCH PRETTIER than the TOP Pellet cookies, which look a bit like cow poo. I may continue to use them as treats because I prefer he doesn't have the dye, too.

#9 Allee

Allee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 793 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:46 AM

That's funny, Cindi, which cookies did Ocho prefer? I never know how my birds will react to treats. Pumpkin seeds are the current favorite. I gave each bird a nutri-berri for a snack yesterday and all five berries wound up on the floor, too disgusting to even stay in the cage. My golden retriever thought they were great though. Birdy bread is the number one favorite meal, I stuff the bread with all the grains and vegetables I want them to eat.

#10 Cindi&Jeriel

Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 12:00 PM

Allee, he enjoyed tearing up the plain "poo cookies" but it seemed he ate little, it was mostly a game. I ended up sharing them with the dogs. He gobbles the fruity cookies down!! I took my oldest to school and the BIG dog pulled the tray of fruity cookies down and her and the little one shared them. lol Everyone loves fruity, I guess! Thankfully, when she dragged the plate, she managed to knock a few on the counter, so there were some left for Ocho.
Ocho LOVED watermelon seeds the best. He made kiss noises the whole time he ate. I am so ready to plant my garden!! It was 70s over the weekend and will snow tonight. Soon, very soon, Spring will arrive to stay!!