MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Captainquark

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CaptainQuark

CaptainQuark

Adv Member

• Members
  • 1,075 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 01:01 PM

I feel like a stranger here again, so maybe I should re-introduce myself. :lol:

1. What is your first name and general location?
The first name is "Captain" ;) and I live in Sheffield in the UK.

2. What do you do for a living?
I work in publishing, writing, editing, designing and producing books, although I also turn my hand to large brochures and other long documents, and, of course, to parrot calendars.

3. What are your (other!) hobbies?
You're kidding, right? Birds are a 24/7 job!

4. Share something interesting about you.
I grew up in the Middle East and Africa. Although I was born in Britain, have a British passport and live in Britain at the moment, I don't consider myself British.

5. What is your biggest passion within the subject of birds/bird keeping?
Parrot rescue! These delightful creatures are victims of their own success. Too many people take on a parrot without realising just how much of a responsibility it is, and discover the hard way that, when you see me, for example, with a wonderful, friendly, well-behaved parrot on my shoulder, she is the result of 20 years of loving care, attention and security.

6. What species are your birds, and how did they get their names?
Ndhlovu, CAG. She is a big, grey African thing, and her name reflects that. It is "Elephant" in Zulu.

Induna, CAG. My first rescue. This poor guy had been badly abused by previous owners, and the first time I saw, he was stretched very thin and tall with fear. It gave him a very regal bearing, in a way, so he got the name Induna, which is Zulu (again) for "King's Counsellor".

Insect, QP. He got the name Insect because he is the smallest of the flock. :lol:

Kayak, jackdaw. Most jackdaws in the UK get the very original name of Jack. Swedish jackdaws get the equally original name of Kaj (from the Swedish kaja). So I took Kaj and Jack an made Kayak.

I shan't go through the rescues or we'll be here all day!

7. What is the favorite toy for your flock?
Toilet roll centres. They all have lots of toys to keep them amused, but nothing beats a toilet roll centre!

8. What is your flock's favorite food?
Each has his or her own favourite.

9. Share a favorite bird story.
Driving down the M1 one day with Ndhlovu sitting on my shoulder, whistling a merry tune. A police car pulled me over. I was puzzled about why, since I had the cruise control set to 70mph. I rolled down the window to ask the policeman what the problem was, and he asked me in that "you KNOW you shouldn't!" tone of voice if I thought it wise to be driving with a parrot on my shoulder. During the time it took me to explain to him that she was very well-behaved in the car, Ndhlovu climbed from my left shoulder round to my right, looked the policeman straight in the eye and said "Bugger off!" The copper burst out in howls of laughter and sent me on my way.

10. How long have you been keeping birds?
27 years.

11. What sparked your interest in them?
I married into birds. Herself had been keeping them all her life.

#2 jaytee

jaytee

Adv Member

• Members
  • 4,380 posts

Posted 21 September 2010 - 06:11 PM

...Ndhlovu climbed from my left shoulder round to my right, looked the policeman straight in the eye and said "Bugger off!" The copper burst out in howls of laughter and sent me on my way.

Posted Image Posted Image

#3 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:37 PM

Posted Image Posted Image

Oh, my, CQ. I fear an American "copper" might not have a sense of humor about such a thing, but I'm glad yours did. And I've often wondered how you pronounce that bird's name? Not being Zulu, I don't know what to do with all those consonants. Posted Image

#4 Jen_and_spiggy

Jen_and_spiggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 2,923 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:43 PM

Oh, my, CQ. I fear an American "copper" might not have a sense of humor about such a thing, but I'm glad yours did. And I've often wondered how you pronounce that bird's name? Not being Zulu, I don't know what to do with all those consonants. Posted Image

You pronounce it with great difficulty :) its kinda like . Ndhlovu the Nd(is like nin with click of tongue) LO (glo) VU (vo) .much easier to say than trying to write it down LOL

#5 Cheekys mum

Cheekys mum

Adv Member

• Members
  • 6,032 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 11:13 PM

Great posting..I will have to get on here to write my bit its late now. Its good to see you posting as so many peeps have left! Posted ImageCheers! Janet

#6 Carrie~Anne

Carrie~Anne

"The Sound of Birds Stops The Noise In My Mind"

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 16,353 posts

Posted 22 December 2010 - 02:26 PM

LOL @ Bugger off!!! Oh, that is priceless!! And probably one of the best birds stories I've heard in quite some time.

#7 KittyKitty

KittyKitty

Adv Member

• Members
  • 768 posts

Posted 23 December 2010 - 03:03 PM

Sheffield?? I used to live in Bedfordshire (started in Shefford, moved to Ickwell Green) for the most fun 4 years of my life!!!

Never saw parrots.... Many horses.