MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Loosing Feathers?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 LunaShine

LunaShine

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 10:14 AM

I am a relatively new quaker parrot owner and this is my first posting on this site. My little baby is 4 years old and I adopted her over the summer. I just noticed that it looks like she lost a feather above her beak and another below her eye. I don't know why and I am very concerned. Is she molting? Is she sick? Could it be her diet? She eats pellets and is very picky when it comes to most fruits and veggies - but loves breads and seeds. 

I asked my friend who works in a vet's office. He said that she could just have dry skin and I should spray her with warm water everyday. He said it could also be that its in heat and trying to nest? or maybe she is sick. 

Any ideas or suggestions? 

#2 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 02:43 PM

Birds lose feathers here and there all the time, just like we lose a few hairs every day. Sometimes the feather falls out before the new one behind it is quite ready to emerge. Do you see little white quill-like things on her head? Those are new feathers coming in. Unless she's plucking or has bare spots, it's nothing to worry about. If you see a lot of quill-like things, she's molting and that, too, is nothing to worry about. Offer a bath. Don't force it. Use tepid to slightly warm water. And it doesn't have to be every day unless she really likes taking a bath every day. 

#3 LunaShine

LunaShine

• New Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2014 - 07:22 PM

Birds lose feathers here and there all the time, just like we lose a few hairs every day. Sometimes the feather falls out before the new one behind it is quite ready to emerge. Do you see little white quill-like things on her head? Those are new feathers coming in. Unless she's plucking or has bare spots, it's nothing to worry about. If you see a lot of quill-like things, she's molting and that, too, is nothing to worry about. Offer a bath. Don't force it. Use tepid to slightly warm water. And it doesn't have to be every day unless she really likes taking a bath every day. 

Yeah shes had a few pin feathers here and there but none at the moment. She doesnt pluck and there are no other bare spots on her. She loves her baths and takes one most days. Thanks for your input!

#4 Erin1956

Erin1956

Adv Member

• Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:41 PM

It sounds like molting. My male quaker has started oh joy. The hormonal bird from he'll. It is molting season and the birds get rid of the old feathers and grow new ones. This whole process can take awhile. He wants to be loved but I have enough bite marks as it is. This can happen several times a year. Now my grey has started and she either wants to cuddle while i rock her on my arm or she will take my finger and gently she is not in the mood. The best you can do is give her some chamomile tea in her water dish. Feed a good balanced diet, and just let her know you love her. When the molt is done you have a sweet baby back. Good luck and if she continues get in touch with a good avian bet

While they can't diagnose over the phone maybe their vet Tec can give you some advice. Good luck and let us know how your baby is doing...Erin,Tai and Gracie