The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Silent Jabbering

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Seraffa

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 11:31 PM

I haven't been able to determine why clearly, but Pauly goes thru a few minutes a few times a day of "silent jabbering." No panting or hissing, just maybe like she is talking to herself -- or, no one in particular. I was never told if she was in the last owner's garage with no other birds or parrots (for several years.) Is she really talking to herself??

#2 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:06 AM

Mr P talks to himself all the time. After I cover him for the night, especially, I can hear him mumbling things that I can't make out. Sometimes he speaks loudly enough for me to hear and understand him, but most times not.

I figured he has an imaginary friend (sort of like Harvey the rabbit) who he talks to when his humans arent around to hear him.

He will also talk to himself when he's on his porch playstand. Or maybe he's talking to the wild birds.? Or maybe the lizards?

I believe one of these reasons these guys speak is that they like the sounds they can make. Sort of like you singing a song to yourself, when no one is around. You just like the song :)

So, I would say Pauly definately is talking to himself.

On an unrelated note, Mr P's name, before I adopted him and changed it, was Pauly:)

#3 amschneider8

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 10:07 AM

Mine talks to himself allot.  It seems like he is practicing new words, and sometimes it seems he is doing it for attention because he is in the other room.  At night he whispers "good baby" when I come to put him to bed in his huggy tent in his cage.  It is actually a bit creepy if he is near his cage because I am not sure he won't bite LOL.

#4 Cindi&Jeriel

Adv Member

• Members
  • 235 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 03:30 PM

Ocho mumbles a lot when he is relaxing. I think he uses that time to practice, too. All of the sudden he will say something new and clear. It's almost as if he doesn't let us hear a new word or phrase until he's confident with it. Little characters!!

#5 cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 08:11 PM

Ralph mumbles a lot too. It is a common way for parrots to practice new words. Ralph knows a lot of words, but most of them, he'll only say along with me when I say them, and then only in almost a whisper. Before long, Pauly will probably speak up so you can hear her, once she's fully settled in with you.

#6 zuznit

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 01 July 2014 - 03:45 AM

Penguins jabbers a lot too!