MOVING

The forum has been moved to a new server.

Please visit QuakerParrotForum.net

and register there to participate in the community.

We will do our best to maintain these archives so that you can still search and find answers to your Quaker questions!

Photo

Poor Birds On Craigslist... And A Rant

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:11 PM

Sometimes I browse through craigslist looking for good deals on cages and stuff... anyway here is what I found today.

00g0g_eT8U7Yz8lWJ_600x450.jpg00q0q_ki6f44cVKcd_600x450.jpg

Asking 2500 for all with cage

2 blue and gold macaws. Age around 15-20. Sex unknown. One is semi tame the other is not tame at all. One is plucked he was a previous breeder. (Not by me).

Asking 2500 for all with cage

Uh...ok...

They both look terrified to me. 

I have spring break coming up (starts on the 11th), so if they are still available I will try and get them...but 2500? I figure average rehoming is 500 for a bird..so that would mean the cage/cages are worth $1500 or this person is just trying to make a buck off the poor guys...I mean look at the picture, does that look like such a great cage? Looks kinda dark and the stuff is dirty...don't see that great of toys either. 

I just bought new food in bulk for my rats, took one to the vet, got some goodies for my snake, and paid a good bit to go to Barbara Heidenrich's parrot conference. Lots of money to spend plus I'm 14 if you don't know me.

Perfect timing Dx

I have...not quite 200 on me. 

Anyway if I can get these poor guys I will not get the cage, it doesn't seem that great, it will save me money, and I don't really think macaws should be caged, especially since I will be home all break. I get it if you have to cage yours, but I don't think it's all that great.

Can someone help these birds? I can keep them for break if you are in another state or something. If someone can take one or both...that sure would save my mental state lol.

Yeah, I get that I'm only 14, but I have read up, the parrot workshop was a lot of help, and I have soooo much time for them.

I have no clue what they are eating, but I will get pellets and fruits and veggies and nuts and all that good stuff. I can work 

definitely with the semi tame one...MAYBE the non tame one...depends on what he's like. I have gotten bit by a Severe before...

I am not scared of bird bites...I have trained myself to expect them whenever with a bird :P 

I feel like I can handle these guys for break, but after that, I have school, and I would have no idea what to do with the guys.

Rescues have their hands full, I would not want to hand over 2 more birds, maybe 1 if it comes to it... I wouldn't want to just 

post back to craigslist...all sorts of people out there...

I did find this, but I don't know how trustworthy it is, I have heard of scammers and resellers...

Looking to adopt unwanted Large Birds

marker-shadow.png

marker-icon.png

)

Hi, I know that this is probably a long shot. I recently lost my Blue and Gold Macaw to a tumor that couldn't be removed. I am looking to provide a home for either a pair or a single large bird. I am able to provide them with a loving home and unending affection.

All the way in Chicago though!

(I'm in Glendale Wisconsin)

also...

~Will Take Birds That Cant Be Rehomed As Pets~

marker-shadow.png

marker-icon.png)

I will take in special need birds if they need a home, I have had small birds all the way up to large macaw, so I have a good range of experience.20 plus years+

I don't particularly want to rely on random people I have no idea of 

Lol sorry for the map things I couldn't get rid of them

I think I got it all XD

I tend to get A LITTLE worked up when it comes to birds....

#2 cnyguy

cnyguy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 3,396 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 07:29 PM

It's easy to understand how you could get worked up over this kind of thing. Sadly, it is common on Craigslist and other sites where rehoming ads are posted. mad.gif

Good luck to you if you try to help those Macaws.

#3 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 31 March 2014 - 09:48 PM

Yeah I'll do my best...probably not the most suited to this but I will try

#4 Siobhan

Siobhan

Adv Member

• Members
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

So much on Craigslist is a scam. Deal in person and local or not at all. I've seen many, many "rehome" posts for big birds where, if you send an email inquiring, they show their true colors. They've snagged a photo of someone else's and posted it hoping some soft-hearted person will send them the money up front and then they will vanish. So be careful. If it's real, I hope you can get them out of there. 

#5 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

Siobhan's advice is good regardless of what you are considering purchasing on Craig's list. NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER send money up front!!! EVER. If possible, talk to the person on the phone. If not, at least go to see whatever you are purchasing in person. If they do not live local to you, perhaps you have a friend where they do live to take a look for you. My motto is, if I can't see it in person, (whatever "it" is), I'm not buying it. Period. If a deal looks too good to be true, it probably is!

#6 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 12:11 PM

Yes they are pretty close I will definitely insist on seeing them! I have read about waayyy too many scams. Does it sound like this person is a reseller to you?

#7 Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Sharyn and Mr Piggy

Adv Member

• Members
  • 279 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 01:10 PM

It's hard to say. Again, my personal feeling on this is, your heart is in the right place. I certainly understand the desire to save a bird from a bad life (my quaker is a rescue). I would also suggest that if you really want to adopt a parrot, you might be better off doing it from a non profit parrot rescue. This way, you get a bird that is already certified to be in good health and in the long run, your adopting from a rescue gives them another space for an unwanted bird. I guess I just don't trust Craig's list, not for live animals.

#8 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 03:25 PM

I can't really adopt one though because what would I do with him when I go to college? I can at least take care of these guys for a bit and make sure they find a nice home. Just emailed the person how much they would be without cage.

#9 LindeeV

LindeeV

Adv Member

• Members
  • 724 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 04:07 PM

Those poor birds look miserable. I wish you luck in trying to help them. Somebody needs to.....sad.png

#10 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:06 PM

I know, it makes me so mad someone could do this to them!!!

>:(

Wish me luck, the parentals and I are discussing it tonight...

Lol my mom thought I would let one perch on my shoulder and then it would bite me. I was like um...NO. She is a bit freaked out if one would bite me, but I look at it like, Mom, I will handle a mean or cranky macaw at some point. I won't do something stupid but sooner or later, I will run into a bird that's not so handleable.

She also has issues with screaming, but they definietely wont scream for attention...probably just out of fear or in the morning...?

*crosses fingers*

Edited by QuakerFriend, 01 April 2014 - 05:13 PM.

#11 msdani1981

msdani1981

Love My Pets :)

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 05:49 PM

Macaws are loud.....even their normal communicative sounds can be considered loud.  Watch some Youtube videos with your mom, to prepare yourselves. :)

• Cindi&Jeriel likes this

#12 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 06:05 PM

Yeah, I drop off bird toys for the rescue I volunteer at and go visit the birds. Yes they are loud but they are screaming because there are other birds talking/whistling/calling etc, and they might want attention since they are used to people. These birds will be the only two so I am hoping they just wont scream QUITE as much lol

#13 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:20 PM

THE VERDICT

dun dun dun...

I have to raise enough money to buy the birds, and have people lined up to get them and then the parentals will talk again.

This is like a MIRACLE for me...my mom refused to have A QUAKER in the house for one night.

But how on earth can I ask the prospective new home to pay whatever it is for a bird I am yet to get? I was thinking of hooking up the plucked one with 

~Will Take Birds That Cant Be Rehomed As Pets~

I will take in special need birds if they need a home, I have had small birds all the way up to large macaw, so I have a good range of experience.20 plus years

and then just buying the semi tame one (maybe I would have more luck with that one anyway...)

But still, I need money...

Waiting for reply from the seller...

#14 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 04:05 PM

Posted on the Wisconsin Macaw Lovers group on facebook. Paw Prints Ranch replied (has anyone heard of them? I handnt until today lol) said they also emailed.

No reply yet :(

And they didnt leave a phone number either.

#15 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:54 PM

You might try Mickaboo (Google them).  They might have some ideas. :)

#16 QuakerFriend

QuakerFriend

Adv Member

• Members
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

Ideas on? Sorry Im confused.

#17 msdani1981

msdani1981

• Senior Forum Manager
  • 3,322 posts